The roots of the problem...

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by JeetKuneDero, Apr 19, 2009.

1. JeetKuneDero

JeetKuneDero Valued Member

Thought I'd post this while I work on words describing my own process:

Back in 1969, Dan Inosanto observed that, "An individual cannot learn the principal roots of Jeet Kune Do through the accumulation of many different styles; for that would be like a singer trying to improve his voice by accumulating many songs. Rather: it is by understanding the roots of the problem."

Those of you who see yourselves as holding to this - what does any of it mean for you?

Specifically, what for you is [1] learning the principle roots of JKD, [2] what are those principle roots of JKD, [3] what is the problem, [4] what are its roots, [5] what is your path to its understanding, and [6] how do you go about determining for yourself that you are on the right path to that understanding?

Thanks in advance,

Dero

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. kongwell

kongwell Valued Member

What would be your answers to your questions?

Liam

3. corwin137

corwin137 Valued Member

1. The principles are the roots.

2. Interception. Economy of motion. Force, pace, fraud. Ideas that lend themselves to returning to "home base", and responding to things that go wrong. Avoiding the 3 stupids. Most likely to least likely. Principles as opposed to techniques. Etc ad nauseum.

3. Context is the problem.

4. Our ability to "see" clearly, and be present.

5. Trying to break ideas. The training method. Not drinking my own Kool Aid. Using practiced, educated, and experienced training partners/coaches as objective means to problem-solve. Doing the necessary work during and between trainings to be present as possible. Playing with people that don't do what we do. Hoplology. There's more of course.

6. This one is a little easier than 5: pressure testing using progressive resistance.

4. february

february Valued Member

Good questions.

1) a)Learning how to punch, kick and strike using all available tools and outside any specific ruleset with sufficient proficiency to be able to put an assailant/opponent out of commission. b)Having a contingency should "a" fail.

2)Simplicity, Directness, liberation from ornamentation, letting go of the Ego.

3)Ego. The innate human tendency to desire to aquire (the illusion of)knowledge and proficiency through accumulation rather insight. Lack of true honesty with oneself.

4)Ego.

5)Being honest with myself. Assessing my goals and structuring what I do based on those goals. Shedding all ornamentation. Hacking away at the unessentials. Refinement. Simplicity.

6)Aliveness. Constant critical assessment of all tools or ideas via pressure testing. Honesty with oneself.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention the common thread runs through each of those quesions/answers: Common sense.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009