The Next Mayweather?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by slipthejab, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Jon Jones? He is such a douche that there isn' a "H" in his name.

2. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Haha good question, and we all know he loves money, but what does he love more, his money or his legacy? From the looks of it, he doesn't have anything else going for him aside from boxing, so he may be forced to fight for a while even with a loss.

3. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Just found out that Canelo and Trout will be fighting, but get this....

...as an undercard matchup for Mayweather-Guerrero! That fight is going to generate a loooooooot of money. I'm already excited.

4. puma

puma Valued Member

Really? That will bring a lot of PPV money in.

5. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

No kidding! Canelo is a huge cashcow too for some reason. I guess that's the insta-fame you get being a professional Mexican fighter. To top it off, all on Showtime. Last year it appeared that Showtime really took the throne when it comes to showing the big fights. They've gone a long way, I just hope they get better commentators since none of them are anywhere near the level of HBO's guys.

But I'm really excited about this. These are going to be 2 really good fights hopefully. I'd like to see Trout call out Mayweather after he beats Canelo.

6. puma

puma Valued Member

You're really confident Trout will win. I'm not too sure. I have it 50-50 at the moment. If it is in anyway close though, they will give it to Alvarez. So Trout will have to win clearly.

7. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I actually think Canelo is going to bury Trout.

From what I've seen Canelo is superior to Trout in almost every category. With the biggest difference being strength and punching power.

I predict Trout being pushed back after the first 2 rounds with a TKO in the later rounds.

I just don't see Trout being able to move forward against Canelo and I think that will probably be the deciding factor.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  8. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

It'll be a great fight. I'm not sure I'm as confident as you think I am about Trout winning, but I see the potential. I'm comfortable with a 50/50 chance as well.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Trout is a very technical boxer. I don't see that as strongly in Canelo. From what I've seen he's big on counter punching and stalking which supplements his power well. While Trout doesn't seem to have the same amount of power, he can definitely take a hit and outmaneuver his opponent which was seen in the Cotto fight. I think the question is going to be if Canelo is proficient enough in countering a technical boxer to succeed with his style of fighting. I can see Trout getting knocked out if he does but I think the Trout will win if the fight goes to the scorecard.

10. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Couldn't agree more. We all know that judges typically like to favor the more active/offensive fighter when it goes to the cards. I don't see Trout getting KO'd as I don't see Canelo being a heavier hitter than Cotto.

11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Broner is good, getting better, but has already been hit more than Floyd has his entire career. Floyd is a jerk, but the guy's skill level has been top notch and he always comes in shape and ready to fight and doesn't whine.

12. Ero-Sennin

Boooo! (For going back on topic :p)

I may have to start looking up Broner a lot more. He's getting a lot more attention since this thread started. I hate his personality just as much as I hate Floyd's. Good boxers though, and I steal a crap ton from Floyd as far as defensive technique goes : P.

13. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I've watched some more footage of Trout fighting and I can see where you're coming from. But Canelo is a difficult guy to get away from. He is good at cutting off the ring and he throws dangerous punches when he catches people on the ropes. Canelo does in fact throw heavier punches than Cotto if not for the sole reason of Canelo being a naturally heavier guy than Cotto.

I also believe Canelo is a much craftier fighter than people give him credit for. His experience is nothing sneeze at. Canelo's 42 fights vs Trout's 26 fights will probably level the technical playing field a bit. The only thing he really lacks imo, is head-movement. He's like a stationary target at times and he tends to get tagged when he's like that. His guard is good though and he is quite capable of slipping punches, but yeah, needs to move his head more. If Canelo really starts to move his head in this upcoming fight then Trout will imo take a one-sided beatdown. But I doubt Canelo will improve that much in such a short time.

Trout's fight against Cotto was heavily in Trout's advantage. After 1 round it was apparent that there was a paper>rock type of thing going on. Cotto basically has no right hand and his left hand was sealed because of Trout's southpaw stance and him being taller. Obviously still a great achievement, but I don't see it as more prestigious than Canelo's win over Mosley.

14. Ero-Sennin

I don't really have a favorite for the fight. I was just putting what I think will be the deciding factors on who wins. I think it's a great matchup and I hope I'm not too busy to see it. As far as not moving Canelo not moving his head much, I think that's because of the counter punching part of his style. I know when I'm focusing on counter punching the body movement comes as I'm countering, or I deflect and counter while standing still. Keeping constant head movement transfers into working angles and deception in my opinion, which is more on the technical side that I doesn't fit into Canelo's style.

We'll see on fight night though!

15. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

I'm getting super anxious to see this fight. Even though I like listing every reason why Canelo will win, I can acknowledge that Trout will be Canelo's strongest opponent yet.

Tonight Nonito Donaire and Guillermo Rigondeaux will fight, watching this fight may calm my obsession with Canelo's fight a little. Or make it worse :D

16. Ero-Sennin

I need to start reading and editing my posts before I submit them. I don't know how you got through that short post of mine. I got ticked off re-reading it and and seeing all the errors :p

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

double

18. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Don't worry haha. When English is not your countries first language, you get used to people's attempts at it. :cool:

19. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

By "the next Mayweather", do you mean he calls himself the best boxer in the world while simultaneously refusing to fight the best boxer in the world?

20. puma

puma Valued Member

Mayweather's record speaks for itself. He is the man. He is the world's best boxer. You want him to fight himself?