The New Masters

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mitlov, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Gary - Enshin

Gary - Enshin Valued Member

Because someone famous does it, that doesn't mean it's alright.

I've seen dozens of people over the years (and all over the world) stand with a worried look as they've had things demonstrated on them. Pain, blood and other damage often being the result.

My feeling now is, "WHY?" What does it really demonstrate? Skill or sadism?

Smacking into people with no 'right of reply' is just wrong IMO.

Gary

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Re-quoted for emphasis.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

uh, when did i say it's alright?

if you're comparing light slaps like what bertel does to sadism, then that makes the other guys masochists, because they were laughing their asses off

if anything, it proves bertel's skill, since he can demonstrate his unorthodox techniques correctly without damaging the uke, while still showing that those techniques will work if you apply them correctly.

4. Gary - Enshin

Gary - Enshin Valued Member

Each to their own. :confused:

I'd be less than delighted if he slapped me like that ... :evil:

Gary

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LW-UgZECcY"]Andre Bertel teaching Asai Karate in Germany - YouTube[/ame]

we MUST get bertel to join MAP :D

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

What's Asai karate then? Looks just like shotokan - especially like KWF school.

7. Fish Of Doom

it's basically shotokan mixed with circular kung fu. asai chose to make his own lineage because supposedly he was having too much trouble "softening" the old school shoto guys, so he just made people practice as if it was a new style

8. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4atSe-sVFLI"]YouTube- Entering Methods into Striking, Locking & Takedown[/ame]

one more from troy price

this dude is awesome

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

That was very cool. Not only does he move like a greased weasel but he always seems to have a reduntant technique in case the first one doesn't have the desired effect. It's seems to me not unlike jwt's material.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ok I have to say I found that clip extremely interesting. Especially the low/high lines... and the methodology he went into of outside/inside (or back/front) @ 2:12 into the clip.
    What style is that and who is the guy?

Background please. :)

11. Fish Of Doom

6th dan shuri-ryu karate (founded by robert trias), plus experience in jjj, bagua, tai chi, xing yi and god knows what else

the youtube channel has a lot more clips from his seminars (plus purchase information, since they're snippets from dvds), and i think the guy who maintains the channel is a member here on map (shurileopard, same as the youtube profile)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  12. Fish Of Doom

13. gorinnosho

gorinnosho Kendo Addict

I'd say...
    Sports karate:
    Davide Benetello, Luca Valdesi, Wayne McDonald.
    Other stuff:
    Hanshi Patrick McCathy, Sensei John Cells, Prof George Alexander.

A few influencial Karateka to me, that most could be called Modern day Masters.

14. Fish Of Doom

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gjxu5Qp8g"]YouTube - SHOTOKAN Karate at Staten Island - 6 Years On.[/ame]

his tsuki is epic. i would love to see him doing sochin.