The Manga/Manwha/Manhua Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Zinowor, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

*I figured this section of the forum came closest to the description of manga, I hope the mods agree.*

I wanted to discuss and recommend manga in this thread with fellow enthusiasts and maybe also new-comers to this particular type of entertainment. This thread is not for anime though, because there's already a thread for that in the TV Shows section. We can discuss them of course, but it's not the purpose of this thread.

Although I will say, if you like anime and have never given manga a chance, this thread will expand your horizon if you're willing to take the advice of someone who was once like you. ;)

My taste for manga is pretty much exclusively, action. I have read some psychological and romantic stuff as well, but I can count those on one hand pretty much. So if the recommendations I give and the discussions I partake in are only about action and martial arts genres, don't hold it against me, you've been warned. :p

Now onto my recommendations:

-Berserk
    -The Breaker / TB: New Waves
    -Noblesse
    -Onepunch-Man
    -Tower of God
    -Baby Steps
    -Feng Shen Ji
    -Yongbi
    -Vagabond
    -Blood and Steel
    -Clover
    -Hunter x Hunter
    -Slam Dunk
    -Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
    -All Rounder Meguru
    -City of Darkness
    -Kingdom

All of these are very good. I have read a great amount of mangas and out of all of them, these are definitely my favourites. I've either finished reading these or in the case of on-going stuff I'm still following them. Now that I think about it, most of these are still on-going.

You can be assured that these will not disappoint you, all of them pretty much achieved very high ratings by critics and popular votes, so the chance you will dislike these is small. Of course assuming that you like mangas in the first place or are willing to give them a chance.

There are still many more of these gems for me to read. When I was going through the list of highly acclaimed action mangas, I hadn't even read half of them and I've been going strong for 6 years now.

Right now I'm reading 'Holyland'. It's looking very good.

Anyway, if you try my list of manga you'll be going for a while anyway. Most of these have quite the amount of chapters.

So welcome and enjoy! :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Zinowor, try reading Kingdom!
    Based to the list of manga you wrote, I think you'll love it..
    It's as good as a shounen action manga can be.

I also recommend you to read Mob Psycho 100 from ONE, the author of Onepunch-man. We get a new chapter every day and I think it's better than his other work.
    I like this guy's manga beacuse are very original and the characters never take themselves too seriously. I think anyone would like ONE's mangas.

I am personally a big fan of historican seinen manga like Vagabond, Vinland Saga and Blade of the immortal and everything that Hiroki Endo (author of All Rounder Meguru) has ever written.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

wow I knew that I probably missed some mangas, but Kingdom...lol. It's one of the mangas I anticipate the most for new chapters to come out. :eek:

I tried reading Mob Psycho, but I'm having difficulty adjusting to the artwork. I've seen the original work from Onepunch-Man and the artwork is similar, but I'm reading the newly released chapters from OPM because it has better artwork. I've no doubt that I'd appreciate the story from Mob Psycho, I already liked the few pages that I did read, except of course for the way it looked...

That's why I'm really hoping they start re-releasing that manga with better artwork like OPM.

Thanks for your suggestion for Vinland Saga. I eye-balled that one once, but I gave another manga a chance instead. With your recommendation, I'll definitely check it out after I finish reading Holyland. Which is a very good read btw, I'm surprised by the authors dedication and knowledge to make it more realistic. Obviously it's still manga though, so take "realistic" with a grain of salt. :p

4. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Damn, I just completed Holyland. It's funny, but I didn't see it coming that I would cherish this one so much. I could really connect to these characters. This author really hit a lot of nails on the head with this manga.

This one goes into my top 3 special (to me) mangas.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Are you limiting this thread to asian graphic novels?

6. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I don't mind marvel and dc, but I think there's too much of a difference between these and manga to discuss them all in the same thread.

I also believe they deserve a thread of their own.

7. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Finished reading the last available chapter from Vinland Saga, added to my favourites.

I'm a little confused about where this manga will go from here though. I don't expect this manga to continue for very long as it seems the finale draws close.

8. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Well, the manga is based on historical figures so I have a basic idea of what may happen next.
    The "vinland saga" is a historic tale well known in Iceland according to some guy I know from there..
    I can tell you what actually happened according to history if you want.

You didn't make clear if you have read Blade of the Immortal, so if you haven't I would suggest you to check it out as well..
    The mangaka draws using only pencils, so the artwork is a bit different than the usual ones and in the beginning chapters it isn't good, but later it comes close to great!

9. Mushroom

Years ago, there was a series (i never finished) Blade The Immortal. it's about a ronin who has been made immortal by "bloodworms" which heals his wounds by resealing them, even when limbs are severed, they get reattached. He goes up against other samurai of different skills and styles, which is also kind of cool as they talk about techniques and stuff.
    Oh and the general story is, is that he helps a young girl gaim revenge who is quite proficient with knives herself.
    The artwork is great, very sketchy and mainly line drawings except for a double page spread saved for the gruesome finishing moves.
    Its for mature readers but only for the violence.

10. Mushroom

Dammit. Just by a few minutes!

11. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

haha.
    Have you thought to pick it up again?
    You know the manga got completed some months ago, so now you can read in one go!

I personally didn't like it at first at all.
    I dropped it about 4 times, never getting through the first 20 chapters, before finally reading it all and absolutely loving it!!
    I like the fact that there is no good and evil in this manga and every character is well made. By the end of it you don't which side to support!
    Plus Manji's trash talk never felt to entertain me.

12. Mushroom

My graphic novels for Blade is scattered all over the place. Will be a bit pricey for me to get started again.

I have been thinking about it though.

In my younger days I was a big fan of Rumiko Takahashi, Ranma 1/2 and *Maison Ikkoku were my favourite stories. Also have yet to finish Ranma 1/2.

*non MA related, romantic comedy.

13. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

Well, you can always read it in some online reader for free!
    This one has top quality scans! http://view.thespectrum.net/series/blade-of-the-immortal-volume-01.html

I read all manga online. Plus, I hear that the drawings on the online editions are most of the times better.

Some times, rereading something from the beginning seems a lot of work to do.
    Have you read Vagabond? It's also about samurai and the main character Miyamoto Musashi based on the book of Yoshikawa.
    Very very good! The artwork is fantastic!

Ranma 1/2 is about boxing right? It's a very old manga if my memory serves me right... I think I read a couple of chapters some years ago.
    I don't know the other you mentioned.

14. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Vagabond is pretty much a must read. While I was reading I was in a state of trance, completely swallowed up by the story. I think it's the best manga I have ever read. I'm in doubt because of Feng Shen Ji. Which btw, has the best artwork you will have ever seen. Check it out: http://mangafox.me/manga/feng_shen_ji/

I read my manga here btw: www.mangareader.net

I'm a pirating lowlife, I know.

15. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

16. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

Wow there're some titles I either passed over or never knew about! Great thread.

I'd recommend Samurai Executioner. It's a great series that follows an executioner and the people that he encounters. It's by the same people that did Lone Wolf and Cub. It's said to be historically correct although the characters are fictional. Quite good.

I liked this manwha called Transfer Student Storm Bringer Manga. It's about HS delinquents fighting for supremacy in their school. The main character always gets caught up w/delinquents 'cause of his mean appearance and I found myself laughing out loud quite a bit. Similar in tone is a manga called Angel Densetsu. I also thought this one was hilarious. I'm a sucker for stories that have the MC getting through troublesome misunderstandings through bizarre luck.

The artwork was weird at times, but a pretty good fight series that I never finished was Grappler Baki.

If you like a fantasy type, I'd recommend Ubel Blatt. Pretty good revenge type of story and I really liked the artwork for it. Still ongoing. Same with Claymore.

On the more dramatic/supernatural side, Ororon is still one of my favorites and so is Elfen Lied. The Artwork in both isn't my usual thing, but I've definitely seen/drawn worse.

If you liked Ultraman, the new Ultraman manga isn't too bad. Also for Mecha series, Break Blade and Sidonia no Kishi are pretty good. Break Blade is somewhat like Escaflowne in that these aren't the traditional sci-fi mecha and has some fantasy elements to it. Sidonia no Kishi is very sci-fi, in some ways it's like Blue Gender w/the characters and their enemy.

I'm too poor to afford traditional manga now, but most of what I read are translated anyway so I don't feel bad lol

I watched more Ranma 1/2 than read, but I did enjoy it. I'm also a huge sucker for the 80's style. Probably why I love Satoshi Urushihara's artwork so much. I'm going to have to add even more manga to my read list now...woohoo!

17. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Welcome to the thread, glad you like it.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look at those.

I've seen transfer student storm bringer as well, quite enjoyed the start but it lost its steam after a while. Though there were only like 30 chapters when I started reading, so perhaps this warrants me taking another look at it. :D