The joy of sheds ( or , the shed thread )

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ned, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Partly inspired by the recent shed of the year telly programme and partly by my recent return after a year or so's absence to my own (home,garden and) shed .

I thought it'd be interesting to see what sort of structures other mappers have constructed for themselves and how they went about it .
    Also to hear what sort of activities said sheds are used for - in my case as a workshop , home gym , escape from domestic duties and general extra hang out space.
    Could also be a thread to discuss and share advice on shed building and other
    related diy projects

Off the peg sheds can cost an arm and a leg and somehow lack the charm of the self made variety as seen on allotments up and down the country. Another advantage of the self designed and built shed is that it can be tailored to suit your space and individual needs.

In my case ,over the course of a few years I initially built a concrete base (shuttered with ply to level out a slope) then gradually aquired timber , windows , doors etc. salvaged from various work projects . Other items such as metal roofing sheets , ply and insulation were bought cheaply from ebay ,
    of a guy dismantling a local industrial unit.
    The main expense was new stress graded timber joists and rafters which were difficult to find secondhand in suitable quantities. All the framing though was made with 4"x 2" picked out of the rubble of a bungalow a mate was demolishing.

Although I've been talking about sheds it'd be interesting to hear about any similar retreats such as treehouses , basements , or other self styled spaces.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Cor Ned but you are a resourceful bugger.

The idea of "shed" conjures up memories of my uncle's and step-father's tool sheds; places to be avoided as the dark confines - with all manner of tools and implements whose contours provided the perfect bedrooms for black widow spiders and brown recluse. In hindsight it prolly the reason why they summoned young belltoller to fetch the 10mm socket drive or a spare mower wheel that was sitting on top of a dusty shelf somewhere instead of looking themselves - too dark to see properly so the only way to find something was to run one's hand along the shelves till you found it - or it found you. If one wanted a torch, well it was in the shed, lying underneath everything else.

Now the root-cellar, that's a nice place - cool in the summer time, warm in the winter and no need to argue tenant's-rights issues with rabid racoons and mountain hornets.

Whatever one devises - it needs to be sealed proper-like.

The most important feature if one wishes to hang heavy boxing bags, gym rings and sturdy dead-hang pullup bars!

--------

Van Zandt -
    http://www.diy.com/departments/elved.../651599_BQ.prd

Far, far too pretty. The idea is to make hinny to not want to go in. The more pleasant it seems on the outside, the more likely she is to go in and once that happens she will instinctively begin making mental notes and it won't be long before you, your speedbag and your 10 year collection of Taekwondo Times are looking for new digs and you'll be right back where you started from.

Course, in your case with Mrs. Van being a martial artist herself...this may not apply.

But you see the point :)

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm currently designing (and then building) a castle style playhouse for my kids. Crenellated walls, drawbridge access and arrows slits. :)
    Having trouble getting the size right to fit kids in and to minimise cutting and wastage.

5. ned

ned Valued Member

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Time spent planning and drawing up a design is well spent . Being an artist I'm sure it'll be a work of art - and your kids will love you for it.
    I have another old shed been given me I'm going to put up just for the kids to keep mine clear of all their bits and bobs , bikes , deck chairs etc.

7. ned

ned Valued Member

Also perfect for your home brewed wine or beer !
    (Moonshine if you're down in the deep south ! )

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't have a shed, but my cellar is my official 'Man Space'.

Even as a small boy I always loved the thought of having a cellar. I love pottering around in there. It functions as a workshop, a potting shed, a tool shed and a storeroom (well, two storeroms actually.) And it's a great place for storing stuff that needs to be kept cool, like vegetables, homemade jams and chutnies, and of course wine.

I passed over other nicer (and cheaper) houses than this one because they didn't have outside doors to their cellars!

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Mine as it was this morning.

Bike tucked down one side, kettle bells out as they're my current training tool, punchbag, bench, spotter rack for squats behind that, pads for class on the wall.

There's a bag of Spartan gear for JWT out of sight and tools are all hung up on the wall above my workbench at the back left.

Mitch

Attached Files:

10. ned

ned Valued Member

Yep , genuine man cave right there :)

My bolthole at the bottom of the garden ;

Attached Files:

11. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I spy a set of Title bag gloves, one Everlast Training glove next to them, a shin guard...on the other side are a couple of curved muay thai kick shields, I believe...above those and to the left hangs a black MMA strike shield, possibly...what looks like some sort of customised squat rack behind what could be a Jim Bradley Speedball boxing bag but I canna see the name...hmmm....anyone else see anything I missed? :D

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The scooter?

Runs and hides.

13. Mitch

Some Kudo style helmets, a breaking board holder, Kyokushin Kumite pads, a foam baseball bat and some rubber knives for training, and the pegs on the wooden strip on the left are for hanging Thai pads from, but they're in the boot of the car. :D

Mitch

14. Mitch

I'll deal with you later!

Mitch :D

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Actually I'm very lucky with the house I have.
    I've partitioned the garage so there's my gym area (mats, bag, weights, etc) and a workshop area.
    We also have a large conservatory which my wife and I use as an art studio and mosaic workshop space (we are both artists).
    Then in the garden we have a normal little potting shed (filled up with the lawn-mower, etc) and still have the spare space for me to build the kids play castle when I get round to it. :)