The Great Underestimation

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TheSanSooStorm, Jun 11, 2005.

1. TheSanSooStorm

TheSanSooStorm Valued Member

It seems that mixed martial arts has become the greatest thing sense peanut butter, but traditional martial arts simply doesn`t work anymore, I guess its batteries went dead? In my life, I have met two kinds of people, people who were good at something, and people who well, were not. But I have also witnessed those who were not good get good, and vica versa. But one thing has come to my conclusion, there are two kinds also of everyone, those who respect others, and those who underestimate them.

A prominent sad reality is that many, many mixed martial artist in my experiance have looked down upon traditioanl martial artist. Though there are those who are an exception to what I just said, please try to get passed the "generalising" issue. Matter of fact is that many mixed martial artists look down upon those who study classical styles. Even Bruce Lee respected tradition, but was not a slave to it. It seems to not be very hard to rub alot of people soar on the internet, so let me break it down for you.

Traditional flaw is- To souly dedicate ones self to something forever, simply because its tradition.

To assume the technuqes given will be applied perfectly, and to only depend upon set circumstances.

To souly depend upon practicing technuqes and alienating the self from exposure to sparring/freestyle, and to manifest a God complex that a fight will conform to your technuqe, as oppose to being like water and addapting, and forcing someone to conform to your technuqe. (Conforming someone to your technuqe should be a mindset, and action, not a preconception.)

To not make good contact when not uses gloves/protective gear. (Making good solid contact is essentual order to feel on both ends (recieving and dealing) the effects of a non padded, non glove senerio.)

To let an opponent become aware of the fact you can fight by assuming a traditional, or obvious set position that determines you have been trained, giving him the fore-warning to pull out a gun or knife. (One should take a ready position, but not one that explaines your entire fighting style, to the enemy.)

Mixed Flaw is- To Disreguard traditional lessons to learn that improve technuqe, and polish and cortique ones ability as a fighter.

To souly depend upon sparring/freestyle is to compromise the developement of the tools one uses in sparring/freestyle in the first place.

To assume that all fights outside of the gym will conform themselves to sparring/freestyle achieved in the gym.

To Disreguard hard pavement, rocks, knives, broken glass, multiple attackers and cirrcumstances in which one cannot "duel" the opponent, but must defeate him with full aggression, as fast as possible.

To where protective gear and gloves, and get in the mental habit to let the fight transegress and assume it will be a Bout instead of a moment of fear, anger, and danger.

Because the fight is elongated by the protective gear which cuisines and makes the strikes more tolerable, getting in the mindset that you must think, and plan, and keep your distance to figure out your opponent, while the situation grows more and more dangerous.

The Martial Artists flaw is- To assume all styles have all of the above flaws.

To assume all traditional arts lack contact, to assume all mixed martial art styles lack any form of realism.

To underestimate anyone or anything.

To not give respect to a martial artist who trains every single day in his/her art and attempts ot perfect himself in a fighting sense, sparring or no sparring.

To assume something will not work, even though the person you are disreguarding may or may not have used it in real life.

To assume that the hundreds of self defense based styles survived attacks, battles, prosucution from the government, and many no rule death matches in Asian based completely on luck.

To say that mixed martial arts only attracks brutes, or that traditonal martial arts only attracks "nerds."

To put a Pro fighter on a God Complex pedistal, and a traditional martial artist on a "ordinary person who goes to a class." or Vica Versa.

Posters flaw is- To flame simply because they feel offended by this thread. Surely martial artis as a discipline has made you all stronger people than that.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  2. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

All of the points about TMAs aren't true for all TMAs. I guess the same is for the different MMA schools.

Overall though I agree with most of what you say and certainly with the general principle of what you're saying.

3. kharandhil

kharandhil New Member

well doesnt matter what kinda school u study....
    its how hard u train....
    Any MAist can be strong no matter where he studied....

underestimating can never be good....
    you shouldnt have too much confidence....that could be the source of your doom

well it doesnt matter when the MA is invented and if its modern of traditional
    since people will always be people

some things change some dont.....
    well after i dunnno how many years we still use knives to fight....

a MAist has to be smart...no matter the situation ,no matter who or what he has to fight

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I dodn't really understand the rant that passed for a first post but if anyone is wondering what triggered that, heres a convo me and sansoo had earlier in chat...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  5. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

There has been ENOUGH MMA vs. TMA threads already.

Whoever trains harder and actually FIGHTS (I know, I know, what an enlightening concept) will be better.

6. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

Isn't that what the MMAist have been saying?

7. Mu Ryuk

Mu Ryuk Banned Banned

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

8. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

However, since there is not ONE particular origin of martial arts, could they all be considered mixed?

9. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

My style, Choy Lay Fut is a mixture of 3 or 4, and then probably even more styles of martial arts.

So I guess I'm a mixed martial artist now. . . . . . . oh dear. . . . . I'm a MMAist. What can I do. :D

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lol.
    come on... stick with us here...
    while that's a good lead in to a semantics debate it is pretty common knowledge we are specifically discussing MMA as in what one would see in Pride, UFC, Rage in the Cage etc.

So most TMA's by comparison are not mixed... at leat not for the purposes of this thread. Hopefully that clears things up for you.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Ya, I wonder what the definition is of "MMA" anymore. Now that we have self-styled MMA schools, is there a default standard for what MMA is? And if so, is not MMA in effect no different than a TMA? I dunno. But I think to myself, my martial art is aikido. It's a hybrid of several other martial arts. Said another way, aikido is a mixture of several other martial arts. I suppose, then, I could call it a mixed martial art if I wanted to. Most of the time I call it a TMA. And if the MMA people don't want aikido to fit the definition of MMA, then maybe the martial art community at large needs to create a new label for what people use in UFC and Pride and so forth.

Anyway, the original post raised good points. The bad assumptions listed there are worth remembering. I like it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

MMA to me is defined by the ruleset. if you are training FOR the cage/ring, with rules that involve striking on the ground, wrestling, stand up striking then its mma training. if you do muay thai and bjj in seperate classes then its cross training.

13. 47MartialMan

Sorry-to make two camps TMA and MMA, seems obscure.

Wasnt TMA, at their era and introduction, MMA, until much time had lasped.

So given some more time, this particular era of MMA, could in fact, become TMA, over said time laspe?

And couldnt MMA be the abbreviation for two things?

The same as TMA?

14. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yep. i dont like the term tma at all because its misleading. muay thai is far more traditional than a large number of chinese or japanese arts and how often do you refer to it as traditional?

MMA is not some kind of "opposite" to TMA though. it just happens to share the same last two letters in an acronym.

15. slipthejab

In regards to what's being discussed here it's probably best to bear in mind what Ikken has just posted:
    Sounds like a fairly clear definition to me and is relevant to the day and age which we live in.

16. 47MartialMan

MMA-
    Mixed Martial Arts
    Modern Martial Arts

TMA-
    Traditional Martial Arts
    Thailand Martial Arts

Although I didnt say they shared anything, but could take on two, explanations each.

However, I think the great under-estimation is the over-estimation of acquired skills that become useless in a real confrontation-pending environment and situation of course.

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

So, if you are training striking on the ground, wrestling, and stand-up striking, but it's not for a cage or ring fight, is it MMA? Or is it Japanese jujitsu? :D

Yep.

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you like to be difficult about things dont you? I could say that tma means trippy martial arts and ask what any of this has to do with marijuana. but you and i both know what the acronym means.

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

read what I posted. I said the ruleset defines whether its mma or not. if you arent training to fight under those rules it isnt mma (mixed martial arts for 47martialman), its whatever else you want to call it.

20. slipthejab

lol. You are stretching here. You can apply what ever kind of definition you want to the acronym but just FYI - the ones with relevancy to this thread are fairly obivious.

Linguistic gymnastics eh?! lol.
    So what would be those underestimated acquired skills that then figure into there own over-estimation in regards to usefullness in a real confrontation... pending evironment and situation of course?! :D

I'm waiting on baited breath. :D