the great gangrel smoke out...

Discussion in 'Celebrations!' started by Davey Bones, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Yup, today is the one-year anniversary, completely smoke free. Managed to quit cold-turkey, and never looked back. Managed to not cheat, either. I hate the weight I gained, but hey, I can breathe, and the chance for heart disease, which runs in my family, has decreased greatly.

w00t!

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Congrats on that! Well done!

Attached Files:

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Congrats! And don't do what all my mates seemed to have done: quit for a year or so and then . . . STARTED AGAIN!! :(

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Good for you! Theres virtually nothing (health wise) that you can do better for yourself than quitting smoking!

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Nice one Gangster! That's quite an achievement!

6. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Well done mate, it's the best single thing you could have done for your health.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Here is a not so healthy lung to help people understand. :)

note: besides you wouldn't want a lung like this... not only is outside the body but I think it belongs to some other animal.

Attached Files:

8. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

:D
    Congrats! Pat yourself on the back, buy yourself a nice frock and make some Marines fight nude for your personal entertainment!

9. hux

hux ya, whatever.

[​IMG]

hell yes! :) the weight will come off eventually, hang in there.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Congratulations! :D

As someone who has given up several times, I have the greatest respect for anyone manages to get off (and stay off) the blasted things!

May you never feel the slightest desire to ever smoke again. :)

11. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Congrats. I quit with the gum. I don't know who that stuff is designed for but I was as high as a kite on it. Forgot to buy some more one day then that was it, never looked back.

Do you find you keep dreaming that you had a smoke then wake up feeling annoyed with yourself? I still do that. :)

12. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Congrats, GC!!

Live long(er) and prosper!

13. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Great stuff GC! :)

14. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Congratulations!

15. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Really great job mate! I hope you still are keeping away from the cancer sticks.

The reason that I necrod this thread is because I am at this very second quiting. 2 days without a smoke. Im proud of myself because I havent gone this long without smoking for too long. Dont even remember.

I did the first day with patches, but today was done on pure will power, cold turkey all the way.

I read somewhere that you can still get the urge to smoke 10+ yrs down the track. I hope that isnt my case.

16. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Congratulations !

Even though I'm someone who never really smoked long-term (only occassionally a cigar)I have parents who sadly both are smokers. My dad has been trying to quit but has started off again numerous times. And my mum is a 30 year non-stop smoker (not sure if she'll ever quit)....

..so Congratulations on being able to keep away from cigarettes for so long already ! :D :D Lets hope you can keep this up for the next 10 yrs or so. But as long as you don't have a reason to smoke again-and can't find one either-you should be fine.

Christian

17. Eddie Dean

Eddie Dean Valued Member

Congratulations GC and NK!

I've been smoke free since September. It was hard as hell and I used those nicotine lozenges you stick in your mouth between your gums and cheeks (I still eat polo's and such like that now.. seems I just pick up habits quickly! :) )

I started taking them everyday, then slimmed down to just when I wanted to smoke. After a while I got to the point where if I used one I had to spit it out and it made me feel ill - body not used to that much nicotine I assume.. essentially I was cured haven't used them since! :)

Yeah, it's been about 5 months for me but I can't even imagine smoking again, I think it'd just make me ill.

To all who are thinking of quitting, with all the pills and potions they have available these days and some willpower and support from your friends/family it is possible :)

The smelling clean Eddie Dean :)

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Congrats to NaughtyKnight and Eddie Dean too! :)

I 'stopped' a few years ago, but could never resist a smoke when I went out for a few pints. I always tried to restrict it to just a few fags on a Friday night down the pub, but there is always the temptation to make excuses to smoke at other times too.

In early October I just suddenly stopped completely, and apart from a couple of roly's I cadged in the pub on Christmas Eve, I haven't touched it since. It's starnge, but I rarely feel even the slightest desire for one now. Just the thought of lighting up makes me feel queasy.