The Contender

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by funkymonk, Mar 13, 2005.

1. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

It's on ITV2 in the UK tommorrow night at 9.00 pm and i can't wait to see it. My all time boxing hero 'Sugar' Ray Leonard is on it too :D . Has it already been screened in the states and is it worth watching ?

2. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I've heard mixed ractions about it so far; but i still plan on watching it :D They could have had someone better in that of Sylvester Stallone surely? :D

3. JKD_Haduken

JKD_Haduken New Member

its ok. its most definately NOT reality though. But then again, what show really is.

4. Rhizome

Rhizome Super Valued Member

Looks like it will be a decent show compared to some of the crap on tv these days.

5. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I saw the 1st 2 episodes on AXN and I have to say it's bull.

How can a decent boxer train without competent trainers looking out for his interests exclusively? How can these boxers train if they have to put up with ridiculous "challenges."

The best reality tv program about a sport along the lines of competition has to be the WWE-MTV production Tough Enough. It's not hard to see why it is so successful. There are no idiot challenges. No idiot rules. Participants are told right from the start that they are entering a competition that runs more along a tryout than a gameshow.

6. MossIsGone84

MossIsGone84 New Member

I can't stand how in the end all of the fights are put to music and they don't even show the entire fight, they just show clips from each round, I also don't like the fact that they put some of the punches they throw in slow motion... or that they cut to the crowd during the fight... I just can't enjoy it, when I watch a boxing match I wanna see the whole thing from start to finish and the only thing I wanna hear is the announcers voices commenting on the fight.

7. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

It is exactly what it is....a tv show designed for ratings. I watched the first episode, and might catch a few others. I agree with the points that each fighter could use an individual trainer, and that the fights being altered with music, slow mo etc didn't appeal to me. The majority of the general public though isnt interested in plain boxing matches. The want to see the highlights, dramatized with music and slow mo.

8. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

A more glamorous "Rocky" feel :) *cue Sylvester Stallone*

9. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I think the challenges are the usual reality tv crap but the fight itself was a good fight between two good fighters. I really admire the guy Alfonso Gomez who picked himself to fight Manfredo who was one of the favourites and a weight division higher than him and still beat him!

The fight i'm looking forward to is between a guy called Ahmed and the one who keeps on winding him up cos i think it'll be a real grudge match. I just hope they come up against each other. :woo:

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was suprised about the amount of well seasoned Pro's in this show. Manfredo Jnr being ranked No3 in the World and another being ranked 4th. I thought it would be similar to the British version of the show where there are some Pro's but only had like 3 bouts, some of these guys here had close to 30!

I liked this show, the editing for the fights are a bit distracting but this show is also intended for audiences who doesnt know what to look out for. Remember, in boxing most of the best punches are well hidden, so us MAists are used to that and able to see it, while non-MAists and non-boxing fans aren't.

My main gripe about the show is that the elimination fights actually go on their record. But in my opinion, the Boxers arent given enough time to train properly and are distracted by the other boxers around them, distracted by the cameras and by the strange challenges.....but the Boxer did sign an agreement BEFORE coming on to the show...so I guess they did know what they were up for.

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I was out training so I had to set the video recorder.

My Dad really enjoyed it though; just as I stepped through the door he was telling me about how he loved it and can't wait to see the next episode :)

12. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

I like it. It's better than most of the crap on TV.

13. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

i really enjoyed it, ahmad got his ass handed to him by ishe. Lol

that damn poo talker.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2005
  14. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

Seen the first episode.. thought it was good, except for the fact they didn't show the whole fight and kept cutting & chopping the camera angles while slowing it down and adding stupid sound effects into it.

Most of these guys seem to be motivated for their family more so than the love of the sport... it was pretty sad watching Peter lose to Alfonso while his wife and little girl was watching. I really didn't like seeing Alfonso's hand being held up while Peter was holding his little girl there with him while he was declared the loser.

Gotta give it Alfonso though, stepping up a weight class and taking on one of the toughest guys... he has my respect and deserves the win!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  15. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

just watched the second one... thought Reid was going to win that. Nice come back after the first round. I wonder if they're purposely manipulating the footage to give us the impression one guy wins the round?

I wanna see pretty boy Ahmed fight Ishe and get the crap beaten out of him. :)

16. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Ishe won.

The show professes that this is an oppurtunity for these boxers to get their shot in the big leagues as if the producers are trying to help them. But we (us viewers) do'nt even get to see these guys train seriously. And unless I'm mistaken there looks to be just one ring in the whole Contender Gym!

As to these fighters not getting a shot, I can understand from the first three episodes. These fighters are slow. They did not seem to have gotten the benefit of a good trainer before the show. Their fights with each other looks....boring.

I mean you have to at least look exceptional in order to get a good offer from a reputable promoter. Just look at Dela Hoya, Marquez, Barrera...even Tyson.

I can't wait for the Morales vs. Pacquiao bout this 20th!

17. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

boring? lol, u gotta be kidding me.... theres a serious problem if you thought they were boring fights. malfredo was 21-0, 3rd in the world. and btw, 1st is hopkins, 2nd is trinidad.

18. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

I thought that was an amazing effort by Alfonso, gotta give him props! Jesse Brinks as well :)

Ishe smashed Ahmed from what they showed... I don't like Ishe either though, he didn't want to fight. I wanna see him lose next time he fights.

19. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I really enjoyed the fight as well :D Whilst it is a shame they've edited it; I think they've done it REALLY well - they've kept it really short and snappy, but still managed to keep the suspense... especially with the addition of the Hanz Zimmer music :D

20. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

It's a wonder then why we haven't seen him in Las Vegas before. Considering that the Hopkins-Trinidad fight happened a long time ago.