The Birth of Jeet Kune Do and How it Grew Into the Ultimate Fighting System

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by ladywarrior, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Sandstorm:RS

Sandstorm:RS Valued Member

I know what you mean mate.

Whats the job sit like with regard to College teaching posts and Electricians in said riviera?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My biggest issue with Morris was that years ago he had an org that if you joined required you to abandon training with everyone else and just go with him...I remember because I got the letter through my mail back in about 96/97.

I did not take him up on the offer to move my club to him

He looks like he has changed his approach to things now, and I feel it fair to point out that his reputation as someone who can "walk the talk" is solid. I know Geoff T thought highly of him. Given the chance I would probably look in on what he offers just out of curiosity

3. Sandstorm:RS

My biggest issue with Morris was that years ago he had an org that if you joined required you to abandon training with everyone else and just go with him...I remember because I got the letter through my mail back in about 96/97.

I did not take him up on the offer to move my club to him

He looks like he has changed his approach to things now, and I feel it fair to point out that his reputation as someone who can "walk the talk" is solid. I know Geoff T thought highly of him. Given the chance I would probably look in on what he offers just out of curiosity.

I understand where you are coming from with this, but I tell any potential new student to look at other schools before coming back to see me with the view to joining my school. Then I interview them, put them on a three month probationary period and during this time I ask them NOT to cross train because it will not do them any favours in the early stages of their training.

Please note: that I start every new student with pre-fight concept scenario training where they will be approached sworn at spat at and pushed about. They are also taught how to deal with tihs kind of assult, the controlling of the adrenalin and so fourth. I have to say that over the years I have had people break down in tears without even being touched purly becase they couldn't handle the Pre fight. Actually all students are informed of this at the interview stage because what I teach is not for everyone.
    individuals who want to learn REAL self protection.

Pre-fight is when you are approached by a mugger and he asks a question such as the time or more politly WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU LOOKING AT COD'S B*****S!!!!!!!!!

90% of fights are either won or lost in pre-fight.

regards

R

4. Hannibal

We seem to have the same approach - I developed my early models following Geoff & Pete's example and it has stayed with me since.

I discourage exclusionary training because as good as I am at lots of things there are better guys at individual disciplines so why wouldn't I want that for my guys? They can often bring me back something new too.

In my line of work I do a lot of pre-fight assessment and actually use the same principles as the mugger (adrenal dump and overload) to take the fight without throwing a punch. Out of necessity I have to do a lot of post-fight as well...the devil is always in the details for me!

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I'm expecting a call soon from South Devon collage who are enrolling lemon teacher training for plastering. The SDC has it's own building section and there are **** loads of B&B's who are always in need of work. Plenty of wok here for sparks two of my guys are always busy.

Best regards

Pat

6. Sandstorm:RS

Seems we are singing of the same hymn sheet Hannibal, you don't play guitar as well as sing by any chance??

Yeah, totally agree with you there mate and the beauty of this, is that it can be used in any style or system. I take it you also teach In-fight, the four D's and post fight?

So many schools start with blocks,strikes or locking methods before the student understands what a real fight is or how best to deal with it. Of course the key to winning is avoidance and therefore a fight avoided is a fight won!

Thanks for your in put Hannibal

Regards

Roger.

7. Sandstorm:RS

Good luck with the phone call mate and don't forget that if you need any help with the lemon teaching I'm only too willing to help> Especially as I have progessed onto the Orange and Pineapple levels.

Regards

Roger.

PS these smoke bombs that you sold me are **** mate. I just fried the cat and fire brigade have just arrived.

I'll see if I can B******t my way out of this one.

8. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

See what I mean about bathmat. Bad mouth Inosanto's rep who he has never met or trained with the big up Morris who he has also never met or trained with.

Let's bash Inosanto because it's easy.

But yeah I watch the footage of Steve Morris and it brought back a few memories hehehe.

There are two types of people who say ranks are not important. The first are those who train their backsides off and pressure test everything to the max and keep trying stuff till they can get it to work.

Then there are those who can go the distance. Quit at the slightest hint of hard work then announce from the rooftops that their not into ranks their just into street fighting blah blah blah and always try to bad mouth other peoples hard earned reputations as if this gives them some validation to their quitting all the time.

The first don't brag about how unimportant grades are to them. The second canthelp mentioning it at every opportunity.

Best regards

Pat

9. Sandstorm:RS

Yeah, couldn't agree more mate. Train first (at least 5 years), evaluate what you have learned, assess the aims and objectives and then voice your opinions.

Regards

Roger

Ps thinking about i've also advance to the banana level.

10. Lord Bathmat

Lord Bathmat Valued Member

Pat,

I have not bad mouthed Dan Inosanto reputation. All i have basically done is ask if he has been tested in a real fight. Nothing else and nothing more.

What's rank go to do with it? I have never mentioned rank but now you have bought it up yes i have met people of high rank that are no good and i've met people with high rank who are very good and vice versa. There are also some people i am aware of that got their rank not because of their ability but because of back handers. But that is life.

LB

11. Hannibal

Well put

Most fighting (and or fights) are 90% mental and also avoidable. The first thing I teach is the Cooper code (with the code black addition) because that really and truly eliminates most problems!

I always start my new guys (and my seminars) off with a drill/demo. I pick someone and tell them to yell "checkmate" as soon as I attack them - thsi will end the attack. I then proceed to swear, posture, splay arms thrust chest etc without actually throwing a single technique at them. I will noramlly do this for about 45 seconds or so before cocking my hand for a "John Wayne" special.

To date no-one has called "checkmate" before the punch - and that is the first lesson I teach. An "attack" includes the pre-emptive actions by the aggressor and you can easily justify a physical response with such indices....amazing to watch the lightbulbs all go "bing!" and then it makes teaching other concepts (including the colour code) much easier

12. focused_rage

focused_rage Valued Member

well i might be considered a ******* for this but i cant help this one so tell me.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44kDtSNuuDc&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - ‪Steve Morris Primal MIxed Training DVD‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_8Al65tky0&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - ‪MARS ATTACKS! (IN 5 SECONDS)‬‏[/ame]

.......any one else make the connection? lol

13. Sandstorm:RS

Well put

Most fighting (and or fights) are 90% mental and also avoidable. The first thing I teach is the Cooper code (with the code black addition) because that really and truly eliminates most problems!

I always start my new guys (and my seminars) off with a drill/demo. I pick someone and tell them to yell "checkmate" as soon as I attack them - thsi will end the attack. I then proceed to swear, posture, splay arms thrust chest etc without actually throwing a single technique at them. I will noramlly do this for about 45 seconds or so before cocking my hand for a "John Wayne" special.

QUOTE: To date no-one has called "checkmate" before the punch - and that is the first lesson I teach. An "attack" includes the pre-emptive actions by the aggressor and you can easily justify a physical response with such indices....amazing to watch the lightbulbs all go "bing!" and then it makes teaching other concepts (including the colour code) much easier.END QUOTE

Again, spot on with the codes and the training Hannibal.

Funny you shold mention the "John Wayne Special", one of my students many years ago was grabed by some guy while in a shop and the way he was grabbed was exactly the same grab as I taught him how to defend. Unfortunately, the student in question couldn't believe it was happening as it was just like training he actually go punched in the face and robbed.

You couldn't make this up if you tried.

Regards

Roger.

14. Sandstorm:RS

Ha,Ha, Ha this guy Steve Morris shuld be on Thunderbirds. He is'nt is he?????

Cheers for that "Focused Rage" I like your style.

Now maybe, just maybe people will understand what what we all mean by static!!!!

15. Sandstorm:RS

LORD BATHMAT,

to be honest and having known Pat for over two decades I think you will find that what he is saying is that you need to gain a lot of experience before voicing your opinion.

Its the same as a first year medical student voicing his/her opinions regarding brain surgery to an extablished brain surgeon.

I have noticed that you have not posted your age or which country you are residing so nobody has any idea who you are.

Drop me a private message if you wish and I will do my best to give you some solid advice and steer you in the right direction. Please understand that I am not trying patronise you just steer you in the right direction mate.

regards

Roger.

16. Lord Bathmat

I can't comment on Steve Morris' movement because i am no expert but when people such as Geoff Thompson, Terry O'Neil (Shotokan Karate who i would assume would also be very static) and the late Gary Spiers endorse him then i need to take note.

17. Lord Bathmat

Hi Sandstorm,

Thanks for the advice. I do know what I will be doing in a few years. Due to family commitments i can't quite do it now.

LB

18. Sandstorm:RS

With respect all Karate is static full stop period!

With regard to Geoff Thompson and Terry O'Neil, they have adapted their techniques from Karate and have also cross trained in many other arts. Geoff has trained with Rick Young (JKD) and Niel Adams (British Olympic Judo Champion). I think what you will find is that both Geoff and Terry may endorse the principle strategy of the training but not the movements.

A word of advice; if your reason for wanting to train in a martial art is one of self protection it will be necessary to leave the antiques in the museum and concentrate on what is useful rather than what is usless. Oh, and don't choose KARATE!!

Regards

Roger

19. Lord Bathmat

Hi Sandstorm,

What about Kyokushin?

LB

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

But when people like Rick Young, Erik Paulson, JJ Machado, Bob Breen etc endorse Inosanto you don't need to take note?
    Odd.