The Birth of Jeet Kune Do and How it Grew Into the Ultimate Fighting System

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by ladywarrior, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Sandstorm1RS

Sandstorm1RS New Member

Good job mate I respect that in any teacher. Its nice to see that there are still some people who value reality trianing. It can be quite painfull though!

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Roger the Ninja how the dam are you. Remember you well mate. If your ever down Torquay way give me a shout. But John Harvey is arranging an old school Bob Breen Black Belt seminar in London for sometime early next year or late this year maybe we can hook up then and chew the cud ove a few beers mate.

Best wishes

Pat

3. Lord Bathmat

Lord Bathmat Valued Member

Thanks for yoour advice Pat i will consider it.

a little bit of backgound on my views.

When I was younger and upto my early twenties i used to think that the internal arts eg Tai chi, Hsing I and Bagua (and Wing chun) were the ultimate in Martial Arts and the external fighting arts boxing, MT, Full Contact Karate (Kyokushin) weren't that effective. Also i used to believe that size and strength didn't count for anything and a smaller individual could easily overcome a much bigger opponent.

But as i have grown up i have realised that it's all hogwash and the reverse is true. From what i have seen (again this is my opinion) the most effective arts tend to be the full contact arts and the internal arts (and i will include Aikido) aren't effective at all.

Also size and strength are also very important. For example a 14 stone man will beat a 10 stone women in a fight. There are exceptions and someone posted a link (2 to 3 weeks ago) of a lady who does karate who defended herself. But these are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Also age counts aswell. i have seen on youtube Max Pallen from Senkotiros in a low armour fight against a much younger oppponent and in my opinion he got beaten by the younger man that probably knows 10% of the technigues that Max knows.

So in summary i believe the most effective arts are the full contact arts and size/strength and age will also effect the outcome of a fight plus of course the killer instinct.

Regards

LB

4. focused_rage

focused_rage Valued Member

old men say "no pain no gain" i tent to listen to my elders when they make scene lol

5. Sandstorm1RS

Sandstorm1RS New Member

6. focused_rage

when i hear "Roger the Ninja" i have this image pop into my mind of a cartoon raccoon packing a grappling hook and throwing a shuriken lol

7. Pat OMalley

Hehehe it's just a nickname we had for him back in the 80's. We all had them. An in-house joke. Roger I ha PM'd you my number mate.

8. focused_rage

lol well even out of the house way out in the states it hit me as a damn funny nick name and even created a cartoon in my head lol that don't happen often for me lol

9. Sandstorm1RS

Sandstorm1RS New Member

10. Sandstorm1RS

Sandstorm1RS New Member

11. Pat OMalley

12. Pat OMalley

13. focused_rage

14. focused_rage

oh yes and Eskrima is probably my strongest area give me two sticks against multiple attackers and i feel like GOD and i love the footwork the triangle formation mixed in with the JKD/fencing style shuffle footwork can keep you in perfect range with your opponents making every move fluent and giving you speed all at the same time.

15. Pat OMalley

SAS. NAVY SEALS ETC. That is what the Ninjitsu of today is.

Sorry but I can't see how you can capture the essence of an art without having a true understanding of that art.

IMO too many people try to blend this art with that art without actually having a solid foundation in them and they then try to re-package it and call it something else and all too often call it JKD which is what gives JKD a bad name.

And why would you want to blend anything you know very little about? Chances are you'll use parts of it inthe wrong place and get yourself an ass whooping but then that's just my opinion but what do I know?

Best regards

Pat

16. Pat OMalley

And if it just survival skills the guys after then there are plenty of people out there who's job it is to teach survival skills. One of my students is a survival and tracking instructor and runs courses on Dartmoor.

Best regards

Pat

17. Sandstorm1RS

Sandstorm1RS New Member

[QUOTE: Roger for those of you who don't know him is an old school blood and snot scrapper by the way. One tough cookie who I would have no problem standing side by side with in a scrap which is more than I can say for a lot of plastic warriors today.)

Thanks for your kind words Pat. Likewise.

18. focused_rage

well the art end of it isn't what he wants me to do i thought i said that...
    thats the only reason im even thinking about it otherwise id tell him to check with me in 10 to 15 years after i do some training in that art, or i would say ask someone else.

he came to me only cause of the combat tactics class i teach one of the people from a previous contract i did some years back told him about me his only interest is that i blend into environments fast because can remember layouts by landmarks extremely well and i have allot of on field experience for some one my age really its just another contract this one just might be one of the long term contracts, also he wants me to use and possibly modify the tools that were used.

as for me constructing something like this and calling it JKD no im very much against that if you read some of my other post you will find that out quickly.
    so please don't mistake me for one of them.
    the name is for him to decide he will be the founder im just the mechanic behind the machinery.
    and if he attempts to use JKD in the name first thing ill do is step aside and have nothing to do with it and the next thing would be to show him not to do that and not to ever try to put my name behind anything involving him again.
    i would sooner spend my life locked up for doing the right thing then being rich doing the wrong thing and if he herd my reputation from his friend then he knows this already.

now as for ninjutsu and me understanding the philosophy and the techniques behind this curriculum i said already i would have to cross reference allot of it with a ninjutsu based school and probably quite a few of them if say i get even 90% there and i find i need to have extensive training in ninjutsu i will do one of two things ether drop the project or join a school

this project runs side by side with what im developing any ways so it wont be a total waste of time.

19. Sandstorm1RS

Sandstorm1RS New Member

[QUOTE: Interesting the "modern combat ninjutsu system" im actually working on building something very similar at this very moment i was contacted by a researcher some time back wanting me to open a new school based on historical ninjutsu and wanted me to combine it with the combat tactics i teach.)

Read any book by Hayes, Hatsumi or Turnbull and you will start to get an idea as to the history of the art.
    If however you are looking to train (with your knowledge in JKD) you will be disappointed with most schools.

Good luck with your system but remember that your own style is actually just your interpretation of the art, your way of moving, thinking, evaluating and applying it.

Pat does it, so do I and many others.

20. Sandstorm1RS

Sandstorm1RS New Member

[QUOTE: I had to hit you hard as it was real hard spotting you as you kept dissapearing in a puff of smoke and escaping by climbing across the ceiling. So when I did manage to spot you I had to hit you hard enough to make sure you did not get me with your Dim Mak.)

As I have got older I can't climb across the ceiling any more and as for the puff of smoke, that's probably wind! By the way "Focused Rage" that's where the term skunk comes from.