The Best Martial Arts Movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by DAWAS, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I have Fists of Fury and Chinese Connection and they are different movies.

Kill Bill :eek:

Fun to watch, but the scene where she decapitates about 200 gang members is just rediculous. Was probably meant to be though.

Fists of Fury is pretty cool, anything Jet Li is usually good too. I was never really crazy about Chan, but his old stuff (Operation Condor) was cool :cool: . BLoodsport, ninja turtles, etc may not be "good" movies by movie critic (jerks!) standards, but they are fun to watch. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2004
  2. Lafhastum

Lafhastum New Member

Well my favorite action film is Supercop with Jackie chan, but the action is mostly stunt based but when there is martial arts it blows your mind (but the stunts are even better). Bruce Lee's best in Chinese Connection or Way of The Dragon, Enter the dragon is overrated. As a Sammo Hung fan I got to have Knockabout, Prodigal Son adn Millionaires Express on there (if you dig hose check out Eastern Condors). King Hu's Touch of Zen (which crouching tiger is obviously inspiered by) is awesome and Come Drink withe Me is a little worse but the action is better. Pretty mcuh any Chang Cheh (Five Deadly Venoms) is great but my favorites are The Heroic Ones, Anonymous Heroes and the One Armed Swordsman Tiliogy. Also Jackie Chan, Gordon Liu and Lau Kar Leung are just as good as any of the other guys but I am getting tierd of typing.

3. Eero

Eero Valued Member

My favourites include

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
    Snake in the Eagles Shadow

4. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

Depends where in the world you are. The original title for what was released as Fists of Fury in North America was The Big Boss, and that's what it's known as in the rest of the English-speaking world.

The original title for Chinese Connection was Fist of Fury, but since that was too similar to the US title of the first film, they had to change the title of that movie as well.

I think North America also uses a different title for the third movie. In most countries it's Way of the Dragon, but I think in the US and Canada it's Return of the Dragon?

But anyway, to the question at hand. Enter the Dragon is the obvious choice and I'm also pleased to see I'm not the only fan of Best of the Best (the first one, not the sequels). Other than that, I love Ninja in the Dragon's Den and Hand of Death. Shaolin vs Lama was also a great one.

5. DAWAS

DAWAS Valued Member

how gr8 is that there is 3 of us on here who will admit to being a fan of the 1st best of the best film my god iam not alone anymore!!! :cry:

6. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

As Abraxas mentioned, actually, you don't. :) What you have is one film that should be called 'The Big Boss' (literally, 'Tong Mountain Brother' or 'Big Brother from China', dubbed 'Fists of Fury' by some imbecilic film bod in the US), the other one being the aforementioned 'Fist of Fury' (or 'Best Fighting School', incorrectly called 'The Chinese Connection' in the US). The US managed to mix up all the titles and just generally mess up completely - they cunningly released 'Way of the Dragon' (from 1972, literally 'Fierce Dragon Crosses River' - note the title sequence) after 'Enter the Dragon' (1973), so some genius decided to rename the former 'Return of the Dragon'. Incredibly stupid, as that then makes it look like the earlier film was in fact a sequel. D'oh. :p

7. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Now - Seven Samurai and kegemusha

When i was a kid (dare i say it) No Retreat- No Surrender!! classic

8. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

I like that film too! It shows a youthful JCVD playing "ivan the russian" LOL!.....classic!....although karate kis better! :D

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Sing it loud! Just rewatched this recently.

As for Ong Bak, seriously, order a copy. It's good stuff. :)

10. slideyfoot

Don't buy it in Suzhou, though - the subtitles are crap. Has loads of great extras...all in Thai. :cry: Hopefully HKL will bring out a DVD soon.

11. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

ong bak is good if you want realistic, hardcore muay thai fight scenes and some great stunts!!! :)

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I got a copy from yumyumanime.com. (I hope the mods don't take that as an advertisement. I just don't want fellow mappers getting ripped off.) It's a good DVD. The subtitles are okay. Not perfect, but when are they ever? The picture quality is good. The extras are probably still in thai, but what's to know? It's mostly extra footage of Yeerum hitting people anyway.

The text on the back cover, however, is completely incomprehensible. There's literally not one pronoun in the whole thing. But that's part of the charm as far as I'm concerned.

Stuart

13. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Hong Kong Legends are going to release Ong Bak apparently(or so ive heard??)....not too sure when though....icould be wrong but i remember reading that on their website a few moths back :confused:

14. slideyfoot

Yeah, thats what I was referring to by HKL - not heard anything since then, though. Would also like to see them release 'Beautiful Boxer', as that sounds like an interesting film (not so much from an action choreography perspective, though).

15. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

HKL ONG Bak

HKL are releasing Ong Bak on their Premier Asia label some time in Early 2005.
    Also look out for HKL's release of Warriors Two in Feb 2005.

16. Adam

Adam New Member

Ong Bak is the best MA movie ever. Tony Jah sends Bruce Lee crying to his mommy with his 360 Degree Rotating Flying Elbow of Doom.

I got my copy off a seller on Ebay, with Engrish subtitles.

17. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

i dont think so. :eek:

18. Lafhastum

Lafhastum New Member

Acually he really is an equal to Bruce Lee. In a fight, I don't know but the way the preform in the movies are equal, though I like Chinese Connection better than Ong Bak.

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

See also this thread.

20. slideyfoot

Poopy plop. Bruce Lee's screen presence is only rivalled by the greats, like James Dean etc. Nobody in MA films these days commands the screen like Bruce used to, though there are plenty of better actors, in terms of skill (Chow Yun Fat being the obvious one that springs to mind), or indeed acrobats/MAists, like Tony Jaa, Jackie Chan, Jet Li etc.