The Best Martial Arts Movie

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by DAWAS, Oct 7, 2004.

1. DAWAS

DAWAS Valued Member

best ever martial arts movie?

what is everyone"s fave martial arts flick ???
    got to be best of the best for me.

2. Zenn Ryusaki

Zenn Ryusaki New Member

Jet Li's Kiss of the dragon

Number one by my books, there was no strings attached to that movie ;)

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

May not have been strings attached, but they did use CGI.
    My fave? Classic, Enter the Dragon or 38 Chambers of Shaolin. Secret fave (the one you don't want to admit to) The Last Dragon (Sho 'Nuff, Shogun of Harlem!)

4. Neil-o-Mac

Neil-o-Mac The Rev

I think Bloodsport and the three Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movies are my 'guilty pleasure' martial arts movies. :D

5. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Seven Samurai, depending on your definition of martial arts film.

More conventionally, either Enter the Dragon or Drunken Master (yes, they're obvious I know :)).

6. choconutjoe

choconutjoe New Member

Crouching tiger hidden dragon is great for the story. 36th chamber of shaolin just rules. Once apon a time in china is great for the fight scenes.

7. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

I would have to say The Chinese Connection, Shogun-Assassin, and anything with Jackie Chan in it!!! Drunken Master is his best followed by the Shanghi duo. I truely try to block out the rush hour movies, Chris tucker yeck! :Alien:

8. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

The Chinese Connection? Ah, the incorrect US title. :p You mean Fist of Fury. Or 'Best Fighting School', if you want to be literal from the translation (I think). :)

9. Athleng Nordic

That sir I did not know. Thank you.

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Ong Bak. It's brilliant

11. Rhineville

Rhineville Valued Member

Bloodsport was cool, but I think I'll have to give it to The Quest because of the 'epic' feeling of tournament combat without the mortal combat cheesieness.

12. Athleng Nordic

You mention The Quest and it reminded me of Vision Quest. Not quite a MA move but is was about a wrestler. :D

13. butcher wing

butcher wing Oi, Fatso!

Best Ma movie

It's a tie for me> joint first place "Prodigal Son" and "Challenge of the Masters".
    They just don't get better than that.

14. Cain

Cain New Member

I saw ong bak a few days ago - DAMN!!!! That's some movie :eek:

|Cain|

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  15. tl Eric

tl Eric I think I'll have a Tab

7 Samurai was awesome, but could be considered more of a drama/advernture over MA. Vampire hunters (or something like that) has some awesome scenes in it. I havent seen ong Bak yet but cant wait till I find somewhere that has it! And any cheesy 80's karate type movie with the asian/american hero who avenges his brother/sister/mother/father/uncle/aunty/master/boat/dog/cat/guinea pig ;)
    Does road house count.. :D

16. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

All the Bruce Lee films are great :)
    prodigal son
    magnificent butcher
    i agree Ong Bak is kool (but very gruesom!)
    project A
    drunken master
    OUATIC trilogy
    tai chi master with jet li

:) :) :)

17. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

I have been reading your posts and your opinions on the best film. I am sorry to break it to you but Born Invincible is the best and will always be the best. You cannot beat it. It simply has it. Thats all that needs to be said.

(Well, if you are looking for a comedy I would get it. I am not sure if thats what they were trying to do with the film or not. But great comedy none the less. I laughed till I started talking like the Tai Chi master in the movie.)

18. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

oh yeh....Fist of Legend with jet Li is kool! top notch fight scenes and great choreography! :)

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ong Bak and Fist of Legend both get high marks. And I have to confess I love Best of the Best myself.

20. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

the evil cult with jet li

and recently, i really liked Zatoichi, about the blind japanese swordsmen, could have been more fight scenes, but a decent flick nonetheless...

and even though an off beat effort i really liked Kill Bill 1 and 2.

now to look for this Ong Bak you speak of :)