The Best and Worst of TAGB Tae Kwon-Do

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by stefthewise, Mar 24, 2006.

1. stefthewise

stefthewise (Modestly self-titled)

Ok guys, just wondering what are your best and worst tae kwon-do experiences so far?

My worst – in the 2006 Midlands Championships I was doing patterns in competition for the first time, and I forgot Dan Gun half way through, with everyone watching! Aaaaarrrg!
    And as if that wasn’t bad enough, when I was sparring in the same competition I got hoofed in the groin TWICE by this big tank of a girl! Ouch! :cry:

My best TKD experience so far – at the 2005 British Championships I didn’t get any trophies, but I came 8th out of 32 in my division, and I think this is the best I’ve fought so far – especially because I was a yellow stripe at the same and I managed to beat yellow belts and green stripes. Even though I won a trophy at the Midlands, I still think I fought much better at the British.
    Other than that, I was very very proud on Sunday when I watched my mum pass her first grading – she was so nervous but she did great. Bless! :)

2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

Not TAGB but my best worst TKD moments are:

Best: winning gold in an ITA national tournament for sparring and silver for forms. I beat a guy who is notably one of the best up-and-comer's in our school. First gold medal of my TKD training

Worst: The tournament before in september! I was kicked in the nuts (funny how this comes up!) whilst doing a high side kick. Bottled the final by front kicking my opponent twice in the nuts :p

3. samurai_steve

samurai_steve Valued Member

BEST:in south eastern championships.....backfisting a 4th dan in the head in tag team match (me a 3rd kup)

WORST:recieving a spinning back kick in my stomach during class

4. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

best: winning two golds and 1 bronze in my first ever comp as a blue tag
    best BB moment: too many! just really happy and grateful with the opportunities and recognition i've had so far.

worst: the blue/red "patch" where i won nothing and was poo. lol
    worst BB moment: being knocked down with concussion and whiplash against a 5th Dan world champ. but im glad it happened though.

5. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Best: Realising that over the last 6-8 month I have really noticed that my skill level has increased dramatically. (Had a few comments on how good I have got)
    Worst: Being winded in the 2005 British championships.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hmmm...getting my BB was a big moment.
    And winning a couple of comps as a coloured belt (sorry can't remember which ones...one was a TAGB British one I'm sure...probably 93-94 summat like that) also really helped me through my training.

Worst was throwing a jump spin back kick during sparring, got caught with a side kick half way round, ended up horizontal in the air, landed with my arm folded under me and crushed my elbow into my ribs...bang two broken ribs and no laughing for a few weeks.

7. Dragon2020

Dragon2020 TTTINT

Best ummmm choice between Winning the Scottish 2 years ago - beating Aidy, Shaun, Warren & Alan in 1 comp lol, OR getting picked for the Welsh Team....

Worst... hmmm losing against a Dutch guy in the Worlds and knowing I fought really badly, with Gianni Peros (Welsh Coach) watching just before he picked the team for the next day....

Still what doesn't kill us makes us stronger... lol

8. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

Best bit acheiving Black Belt. Also beating some cocky, self opinionated, green belt who thought he was the greatest ever sparrer in a tournament.
    Worst bit, driving for 2 hours to do a sparring tournament and getting beaten and coming home again :)

9. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Best, realising that even after magor back surgury I would still be able to do tkd.

Worst, Pulling my hamstring two weeks before my Dan grading :bang:

10. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Best: In my first black belt tournament I almost won. I am a red belt, and for the first time I was fighting with the black belts and I didn't get knocked out and I lost 12-9. I think I did pretty well for my first official fight against a black belt.

Worst: Getting a broken rib in class.

11. Xue Fang

Xue Fang Bluebelt

Worst: Getting punched right on the nose in the 2005 British Championships. Getting side kicked by my 4th Dan instructor in sparring so hard that I flew back five metres. Lol. :D Also this rubbish patch I've been going through in my sparring since Christmas. Not getting to grade for bluebelt this time! :bang:

Best: In 2005 British Championships, side kicking my opponent in the shoulders so hard she fell flat on her back (this was after she'd punched me rigth on the nose). Learning so much from sparring with said 4th Dan instructor. Passing my bluestripe grading and receiving my friend/peer Trev's old belt. :) The time when a little yellowstripe girl came up to me after class and said "One day I wanna be a bluestripe!" :love: Teaching the lower grades and watching them progress with my help and tutelage - really rewarding. :)

12. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Just remembered another best: Teaching a 6 year old white belt his four direction punch and getting it as best as he could then him coming back from the grading with a A pass. :D

13. Nails

Nails Valued Member

Best; Finding a good teacher.

Worst; Finding out my good teacher was told by his Master to just teach whats in the book and nothing more as people just want black belts.

Became disillusioned with TAGB and left.

14. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Best - Watching my first students ace their first grading
    Worst - having to travel 400 miles for courses

15. Gould

Gould Valued Member

Best - Training under 3 excellent instructors and some great fellow students.

Watching your juniors mature in good confident Martial Artists.

Worst - Having your instructor leave the TAGB in suspect circumstances.

Meeting World champs in the First round on every comp you enter for a year!! :D :cry: .

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Worst: Tearing my calf muscle not long before my BB was due.

Best: Is yet to come, who knows what it will be?

Mitch

17. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Best - Winning at the south-east 2005 champs last year, it was my second comp and the first one I'd got placed in. Also landed a reverse turning kick to the head (without a warning for excessive contact :p) in the extra 30 secs which is what swung it, which was a nice way to end. :)

Worst - British champs 2004, stayed in a hotel in Coventry overnight with my family due to having to be there at 9am, hung around for four or five hours before being called up to my area, and then got disqualified for being 1kg overweight. I couldn't switch up either because it had already happened. Yeah that was a bummer. DON'T TRUST THE SCALES IN YOUR HOUSE!!! :cry: :bang: :woo: :D

18. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Best - that phone call from my instructor saying "Congratulations, you are now a 1st Degree". :D:D:D

Worst - split decision between ripping my ankle ligaments to pieces whilst comfortably winning in a semi final and having to pull out. Or, again, in a comfortable winning position, clonking some guy around his chin with a reverse hook kick and knocking him out - then losing the bout as it was classed as excessive contact, despite him walking onto the kick.

19. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Worst: Being disqualified in my first comp (i was a 9th kup) for excessive contact then breaking my jaw in the team sparring. :cry:

Best: Too many to mention but getting a silver for patterns in the British at green belt (i did Do San), getting student of the year for my club and winning my first gold in black belt executive sparring have been really enjoyable. :D

20. KorTong

KorTong Banned Banned

Seems as though everyone is from Europe or somewhere far from me.... I have many good moments and many worst moments but a few I remember:

Best: Winning to qualify for nationals (and hoping to make it to Sydney)

Worst: Injuring my knee in a low lever tournament and not making the national tournament. And losing my scholarship :cry:

Funny: I remember getting kicked in the groin 3 times in one match with my friends and a girl I liked watching :eek:

Funnier: My grandmaster pounding my **** with the heel of his hand each time I got kicked in the groin :eek: