The advice is "Hand over your cash" but what is the best way do this?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Tom bayley, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Exactly those things.
    One might speculate that the rise in crime was linked to the massive drop in police funding under austerity, but that would obviously just be speculation :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    axelb and David Harrison like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Awesome three hour discussion with @Tom bayley this morning.

Interesting how we came at the subject from different directions and experiences, but really reached the same sort of conclusions.

Mitch likes this.
  3. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

There might be something in this but allegedly they are rarer. Rory Millers descriptors have some grey areas however...

As per his typology a mugger would be a resource predator, that doesn't engage in social violence/dominance for the sake of it. The violence is there used as a threat to extract what they actually want from you (wallet) rather than social dominance. If violence is used it's done as a preemptive shock, to prevent the real risk of a fightback usually from an ambush. Because for them they have to balance the reward (wallet/resource) against a fight back (is the wallet worth the possible physical damage?) or the time elapsed (witnesses/police/wannabe heroes/Mappers turning up)

But amongst the the social violence types he does describe the Status Seeking Show, (SSS) types, which is I think what this may be. They want the local community/onlookers not to mess with them, and physical violence is one of the easiest ways to establish this. For this to happen there has to be an onlooker though, which is why its probably more gang related, or if its a mugging they are seldom alone.

I always found amusing the Rory Miller found that hardened criminals resource predator types frequently despise SSS types because they bring far more heat and problems than they are worth, and particularly in prisons if they try and leverage their propensity to crazy violence , they might be on the end of an educational downbeat down, to remind them there are still rules amongst inmates. I remember speaking to a former prison guard in Italy years ago, who kind of confirmed this a that new (insecure and usually younger) arrivals who refused to toe the line suffered short 'unfortunate accidents' that prison guards were willing to overlook, a weird tacit understanding that drugs and other illicit stuff was part of the game between the guards and inmates, but a kid going off on one causes too much problems.

So yeah, reading is the person you have demanding your wallet is actually someone that doesn't give a rats ass about dominance and social standing and just needs the resouse for x reasons, or a someone whose using a mugging as an excuse to show unlookers how crazy they are (don't mess with me) could be tricky. I have to admit I'm probably too sheltered to actually be able read the difference.

4. Botta Dritta

There might be something in this but allegedly they are rarer. Rory Millers descriptors have some grey areas however...

As per his typology a mugger would be a resource predator, that doesn't engage in social violence/dominance for the sake of it. The violence is there used as a threat to extract what they actually want from you (wallet) rather than social dominance. If violence is used it's done as a preemptive shock, to prevent the real risk of a fightback usually from an ambush. Because for them they have to balance the reward (wallet/resource) against a fight back (is the wallet worth the possible physical damage?) or the time elapsed (witnesses/police/wannabe heroes/Mappers turning up)

But amongst the the social violence types he does describe the Status Seeking Show, (SSS) types, which is I think what this may be. They want the local community/onlookers not to mess with them, and physical violence is one of the easiest ways to establish this. For this to happen there has to be an onlooker though, which is why its probably more gang related, or if its a mugging they are seldom alone.

I always found amusing the Rory Miller found that hardened criminals resource predator types frequently despise SSS types because they bring far more heat and problems than they are worth, and particularly in prisons if they try and leverage their propensity to crazy violence , they might be on the end of an educational downbeat down, to remind them there are still rules amongst inmates. I remember speaking to a former prison guard in Italy years ago, who kind of confirmed this a that new (insecure and usually younger) arrivals who refused to toe the line suffered short 'unfortunate accidents' that prison guards were willing to overlook, a weird tacit understanding that drugs and other illicit stuff was part of the game between the guards and inmates, but a kid going off on one causes too much problems.

So yeah, reading is the person you have demanding your wallet is actually someone that doesn't give a rats ass about dominance and social standing and just needs the resouse for x reasons, or a someone whose using a mugging as an excuse to show unlookers how crazy they are (don't mess with me) could be tricky. I have to admit I'm probably too sheltered to actually be able read the difference.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Never be ashamed of living a peaceful life!

Like any endeavour, education can get you so far, but there is no substitute for experience in the field.

Botta Dritta likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I played enough SimCity to know how it pans out every time when you reduce police funding :D

Mitch, David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  7. Botta Dritta

Need to find a darkened underpass in Birmingham city centre then!

bassai, David Harrison and axelb like this.