TFA nit picking

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Late for dinner, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

With ships that travel at light speed everywhere is next door. :)

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

My theory is that the entire Star Wars universe only has like, 200 people in it, 120 of them are Jedi and they're all related to each other.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Honestly it isn't as if the original trilogy were exactly stretching the concept of an extended universe either, it' just our expectations are higher now. That was really were the prequels fell foul (outside the bluescreen overload that is)

They set the bar lower for the new film hence everyone loves it!

4. philosoraptor

Oh I dunno, I think that some of the most iconic moments in Star Wars came about through making the universe feel large. Mos Eisley Cantina scene for example.

I take your point though, it's a bit strange that the villain's secret daughter is sending a message to his old friend who recruits the villain's secret son to blah, blah, blah.

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The thing is that the orginals were created, and THEN expanded upon. Now the EU is extremely vast and the history is so deep that a few movies will never keep up and keep everyone happy, except those that only watch the films.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's annoying to me that almost everything take's place on either sand, forest or snow.
    Given we can create anything now.
    Filming in Tunisia was fair enough for A New Hope...but sand again?

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I prefer that to the place where she met Luke. It looks like it's along my coastline.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

It's the Skellig Islands off the coast of County Kerry. Beautiful place.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Doesn't Death Star III work by destroying the sun of a system to power its mega weapon? Which it can then fire into other systems?

So it can fire instantly across multiple light years. Though we can see the beams travel.

And you never need to actually fire it, just pilot it to a system and, well, destroy the sun.

Luckily it's never been fired before, or there would be no atmosphere, ecosystem etc, as it would have been piloted through interstellar space.

This stuff about the film irks me, it just doesn't make any sense. You can suppose any environment or situation, as long as it's internally consistent, but this uses just one MacGuffin after another with no internal logic.

But more than that is the fact that it's supposed to be Episode VII. When Abrams rebooted Star Trek we all knew it was a reboot and expected it to retell the origin story then set up the new series of films.

But this wasn't supposed to be a reboot, it was supposed to be a continuation, and it just isn't.

On top of all that I think a lot of it is just lazy film making.

I'm glad to hear other people have been less than impressed, I was beginning to think it was just me.

Mitch

10. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

The book explains it that since she was able to repel and eventually invade Kylo's mind, she figured she would try to invade the stormtroopers mind too.

and... that stormtrooper was 007 himself, Daniel Craig

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  11. philosoraptor

You're kidding!

I really didn't mind Rey's power development, it felt similar to Luke's use of telekinesis on Hoth.

12. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Nitpick? No thanks. I enjoyed the movie and will continue to.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I think the bigger thing that annoys me with death star III is that it's kind of a one-shot deal. Like you said moving it will destroy the atmosphere. I don't think it was really thought out or spelled out conceptually.

At least with the originals you had the stated goal of "keeping the systems in line." The point of DS3 was to blow up the core planets of the Republic to create chaos and allow the Imperial remnant to rise to power again apparently.. because it's not like you could form a new government without Coruscant I guess :confused: But after you've achieved that initial shot you're going to do what with it?

You keep threatening other systems I guess. But it has to have some kind of range limit and then you'd have to move it and like you said you can just drain a system's sun which would destroy the system, create refugees, then economic stress, probable resentment at the current administration, etc. That would seem to create better conditions for rising back to power than just destroying planets.

And if you have to move the DS3 anyway that means you can move whole planets at FTL. Why has no one thought to lob planets at each other's planets/systems before now?? It's certainly faster and easier than building the extra space station/weapons platform bits. You could hide them everywhere, maybe even in already populated planets, and then the threat level is huge!

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Someone wrote in another forum, that the book says she was in Jedi training, before she came to Jakku - is that true?

15. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

No. Not true at all. That's just a theory at this point.

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Exactly, it just makes no sense. At the least, stories need internal consistency.

17. philosoraptor

Even something the size of a Millennium Falcon going FTL and impacting a planet would pretty much vaporize the surface of it, if we're going down that route.

18. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Let's try something on for size

People keep complaining about Leia not commiserating with Chewie at the end but it just occured to me that the whole thing could be flipped around on its head - Chewie was in fact deliberately keeping his distance from Leia; he was feeling guilty, you see, on account of, you know, trying to bowcaster her and Han's only child to kingdom come.

This is where the writing REALLY falls flat IMO - the whole thing is given the emotional gravity of yesterday's weather forecast.

19. philosoraptor

Yeah, that's where the movie kind of lost me. There didn't seem to be any weight to
    Han's death or the destruction of those planets. Fisher seemed like she was comforting a kid who did poorly at soccer practice.

20. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

In all fairness, there wasn't really any weight to the death of Obi-Wan and destruction of Alderaan either. :p