Teenage Muntant Ninja/Hero Turtles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by gaz shaw, Jun 4, 2005.

1. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

Teenage Mutant Ninja/Hero Turtles

Dont ask but ive alway wondered this,

is it Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

OR

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

cheers. :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  2. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Heros in a half shell

That's how the song goes (runs away to a corner to hide his shame for remembering that :rolleyes: )

3. gaz shaw

gaz shaw New Member

Ok this is how believe it is, in th US they were known as Ninja turtles and in the UK they were known as hero turtles

4. Noontidal

Noontidal Popeye

Yes, because ninjas are obviously quite the opposite of hero. (I would say ninjas are stupid, but that's too abundantly clear and I'd just be repeating everyone's thoughts)

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

How depressing, that in the UK our elected parliament believed that to include ninja in the title would cause young people to become violent.

It was a cartoon.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  6. specourt

specourt Hero in a half-wit shell

I thought the film was "ninja turtles" and the cartoon was "hero turtles" but I could be wrong.
    Regardless of that, all the information regarding technique was totally accurate :D

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was a fan of the Eastman and Laird comics before they went cartoon.

The original name is Ninja, though it was changed to be Hero due to the name Ninja being too violent.

They kept it as ninja for the movie rights.

I am still looking for old copies of the comics but they are being very elusive

8. Topher

Topher allo!

This brings back memories - possibly my favourite cartoon back them. I has the wallpaperl bedsheets, toys, the lot :D

9. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

That's because you live in the UK. In the US, it was always "ninja turtles" (the original title). I'd love to hear the UK version of the theme song.

10. Bellator Manus

Bellator Manus Warrior of the Hand

I'm sure everyone in the UK was fooled because the katanas and sais weren't enough to clue people in to their profession.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Quote from the Answer page: "Upon TMNT's first arrival in the United Kingdom, the name was changed to 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles' (or TMHT for short), since local censorship policies deemed the word ninja to have too violent associations and connotations."

Ask and you shall receive: Both theme songs.

12. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

It's ninja offically!

When they came to britain, the VSC or whatever there called changed it as not to risk being racist or causing offense.

Daft I know but hey, what you gonna do??!

13. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Hmm running round with Sai Yeah dead givaway that :rolleyes: :bang: :bang:

Oh great thanks alot folks now I can't get the dam theme tune out my head :bang:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  14. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

amazing how that name 'ninja' in the title would make kids 'flip out' and kill, whereas tango adverts involving slapping people around the ears was ok for a while! mind you power rangers 'ninja storm' was ok!

they even cut the nunchaku scence from the first movie over in the uk, not that i watched it of course!

:)

15. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

There was some pretty wierd censorship in the Uk during the eighties. Any film that had nunchucks would be cut(or chainsaws) automatically, even computer games. I remember the PS1 version of soul blade/soul edge had the chucks changed to a small 3 sectioned staff.

16. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

:D
    The new turtles was on FOX kids this morning so I jokingly told my eldest, who trains in Bujinkan Taijutsu too, to pay attention he just groaned and give me a "grow up Dad" sort of look.

Then his little brother said "Dad what they do isn't like what you do" "oh how so I replied" he then said "well your not taught by a giant Rat are you"...........er is Chapman around :D :D

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The whole cencorship thing was bizarre. Apparently nunchaku were banned from the British media after young thugs saw Enter the Dragon and started making their own. This doesn't explain why a 3-section-staff or a manriki gusari are any better, since they're equally easy to make your own version.

18. AZeitung

That is bizarre. Next thing you're going to tell me they cut the sex scene, too (from Turtles 1, not the other movies).

19. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:eek: Huh? I don't remember a sex scene.

Oh, wait, I get it. :D

20. AZeitung