Techniques for the tall?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by 04CE, Aug 28, 2008.

1. 04CE

04CE New Member

Hello,

I'm new to kickboxing, and started sparring last night. In 3 different pair ups, not a single one of my opponents could get a swing in near my head; however, I left my sides open all the time like a convenience store. I took a lot of hits to my left side, particularly. What is a good remedy for this without giving up head protection? In this particular case, I know I could have lowered my guard, but I don't want to create bad habits for when I spar more experienced people.

And on the same note, while I could easily land hooks on my sparring partners, I couldn't get a single fist hit to the midsection in on them. Should I skip striking the midsection? I've seen a lot of openings as I'm sparring other beginners, and they let their elbows drift far apart - but its extremely obvious when I'm punching lower and I get parried easily.

Fwiw, I'm 6'7. I had at least 6 inches on the tallest one.

2. k1ckboxer

k1ckboxer Valued Member

hi,
    a good remedy worth trying would be to use muay thai type blocks, if your instructor allows it. which are done by raising the knee of the side being attacked, to meet your elbow. maybe checkout how to do these blocks on youtube or something. they are very affective and would help protect an open mid section area well.
    also don’t stand up too straight, you should be in a stance but sorta squashed down position. when an attack come your way, tense the side its coming and kinda crunch up a little to show less of a target.
    because your tall, use your height as an advantage over others.. by keeping your opponent at a distance, especially with your kicks! but remember you will be obviously more vulnerable if your opponent gets in close, so watch out!

all the best and keep us posted with how you get on.

3. wires

wires Valued Member

boxing better - defense, body shots and the rest

You should definitely learn to strike the body. Do not leave it.

I'd check out MMA fortress fighter on Youtube. Also look up "crazy monkey".