Teaching kids to Box?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Combat Sports, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

My kids are doing grappling arts right now, Wrestling, Judo, and BJJ.

I wanted to get them involved in at least learning the basics of throwing proper punches so that they can drill those movements. But finding a youth boxing coach has been somewhat of a challenge.

(I don't necessarily mean I plan to have my kids throwing on the gloves and jumping in the ring, but I wanted them to start building muscle memory now.)

Thoughts?

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Do they want to do it?

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

You could probably just do some pad work once in a while with them.

4. Combat Sports

Yes, I am very careful to establish that. Generally by making sure my tone is sincere and calm and free of pressure. And a very clear understanding that they choose to quit if and when they want. I do that with all of their activities. My daughter in particular said she wants to learn to punch and kick. My son agreed.

5. Combat Sports

That's kind of what I had in mind. I just don't feel confident in my ability to do that yet without spending some time with a coach.

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Fair enough. Sorry I'm very cautious about checking that with parents asking this sort of thing first :)

Are there no boxing alternatives? Muay thai, kickboxing, even something like jkd maybe? It might be a case of just having to wait until they're older unfortunately. The only other thing I could think of would be checking leisure centers for boxercise but I doubt they'd accept young children and their actual boxing is usually dubious.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

It's horrible :) If they like it they'll want to fight which, knowing what you know, isn't easy.
    Anyway think about it,there can be a lot of tough choices and quite a lot of training?
    Pandora's box.
    (If they ever do fight watch through a video camera. It works :) )

8. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My oldest is in bjj. Once a week I work with him on strikes. Mostly just pad work.

9. Combat Sports

I totally agree. I was an extremely poor kid growing up and it broke my mom's heart that we could not afford to do anything. Martial Arts was what I wanted my whole life and money was always in the way.

During some of my life I lived with rich relatives and I encountered the opposite problem. The people I call "piano parents" who do things like force their kids to learn piano even if they hate it. These kids end up turning 18 and never touching a piano again.

So I set out to do neither. And Martial Arts is only one of the things they are doing. They also both love Soccer and I asked them "Ok, is this something you just want to do for fun? Or do you want to be good at this? Either answer is OK but it will change some things." when they both said they wanted to be good I got them extra Soccer training and kept them playing in Indoor leagues to give them an advantage when they returned to outdoor.

The only thing I require of them during their childhood regarding Martial Arts it to be able to reasonably defend themselves. They can do that casually. But both expressed a sincere love for it. My daughter doesn't just watch it on TV, she asks me to buy her books on the topic and goes through them very quickly.

Her discovery of MMA came when I was watching an episode of the recent TUF and she saw girls fighting. She immediately asked me what they were doing and became interested. She has since said it's something she wants to do some day. I asked her the same questions I did about Soccer, and she said she wants to be "Legendary". While it was humorous she was persistent about it and I realized she was serious. I encouraged her and said I would do what I could to help her. But that she should have other plans to go with her studies in case her hopes to become a pro don't work out. Since she also does really well academically, I don't think that will be an issue.

With my son, he is physically talented, but has some issues with self discipline we are trying to work through. He loves Judo and BJJ but I have to work with him to get him to focus on his breakfalls and other early "boring" techniques a bit harder. One of the students at our club teaches Capoeria and my son went wild over it so I think he will be crosstraining that as well. It's high energy and flashy so I think it will keep him motivated. And the instructor is involved in MMA and grappling.

10. Combat Sports

I am having a big difficulty finding anyone who will train kids to strike in any competent fashion. My daughter is really fascinated with Muay Thai as is my son but the trend is to tell kids to focus on grappling and then evolve to striking. I recognize the points they are making. I would just like them to learn the basics so that they can drill the pads as part of their routine for cardio and such until they are old enough to go further. They would love to take JKD, but I learned that the JKD world has very little to nothing to offer for kids. (Not as in kids could not benefit, but that nobody trains them.)

I have been starting to think that I will probably have to train in something myself and teach them myself.

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm definitely going to be one of those 'piano' parents, but with bonsai. Not so that they get good at bonsai, mind, just so that someone will help me with all the shiiiimpaku work that goes into keeping bonsai. Watering, mixing soil, lugging trees, around, etc., etc. It's not child labor if you don't pay 'em.

12. raaeoh

What are their ages?

13. Combat Sports

My son is six, my daughter is eight.

14. Combat Sports

Even just being able to do this, would be great. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNdic-Pcmsw"]9 year old kick boxing beast! Greubel's MMA Augusta GA - YouTube[/ame]

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm surprised you can't find a MT gym that teaches kids, given that in Thailand the babies teep their way out of their mothers womb.

16. Combat Sports

I actually watched a documentary about that last night actually.

I know gyms for it exist, it's a question of finding one near me. It took me a long time to even find a Judo/BJJ place that helped kids train to compete. Everyone is terrified of getting sued it seems.

For striking, TKD is the only curriculum that seems to let kids do so. (Around here anyway) And I don't want them to develop some of the negative habits that go along with TKD competition.

17. Moi

The lad is maybe a bit young? Depends on whether they can find him a partner?

18. raaeoh

My gym starts MMA training in kids as early as 6. They then go to karate tournaments to try out their skill. No cage fighting until much older

19. Moi

So did mine but there are plenty that don't. A lot depends on whether he has a sutible partner to train with in the club. Otherwise wait until there is, he'll get bored

20. Combat Sports

Got two kids, and they train together for BJJ and Wrestling now. The size difference is not that bad.