tang soo do vs muay thai

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Anjelica, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

TSD holds its own. Its an effective style for the octagon as long as you fight smart. I wouldn't use jumping kicks in the cage, risky move against a seasoned grappler, as are spinning kicks as a quick grappler could take your back. Stick with the fundamentals.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Lets get something straight right from the start.

It isn't the art, it's the artist.

In this particular video we have an inexperienced practitioner stepping up against someone more experienced.

You'd get the same with any two people from any other arts.

So TSD doesn't hold it's own and more than any other art.

In regard to spinning kicks being risky against a seasoned grappler I'd disagree.

If the grappler makes a mistake, or you set him/her up correctly then it'll work.

That though can be said for all techniques.

There is a time and a place.

Mitlov, axelb and Grond like this.
  3. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I have seen a fighter attempting a spinning kick get their back taken. So yes its risky. But it may work if you execute it fast enough. I should have been more clear. Since Muay Thai is the most popular stand up style in the octagon I wanted to point out TSD is also effective for the stand up game.

4. Simon

And we've all seen it executed well, so the argument doesn't stand up.

Does a technique work - yes.

Does a technique work - no.

Its not just about speed.

Timing, balance and a whole host of other attributes.

Because you do/did TSD?

I'm not sure why anyone feels the only justification for their art is because it would stand up in the ring/cage.

axelb and Grond like this.
  5. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Both people looked tentative and inexperienced imo.

TSD looked like he is from a light continuous framework. Most of what he did would get you butchered by an more experienced striker (exposing head when dealing with kicks, staying bladed with one leg raised, lots of telegraphed turning kicks, not recovering after throwing, hands low etc etc).

Not a good representation of striking from either.

axelb, Dead_pool and ned like this.
  6. ned

ned Valued Member

Your man in blue turns his back within the first ten seconds without even attempting such a kick - not such a great example.

axelb, Travess and Knee Rider like this.
  7. Simon

If the guy in blue had posted the video we'd be saying, "well done, good on you for stepping up and cross training, keep your guard tight", and so on.

If though he'd posted saying his art (whatever it may be) had made him ready for the ring he'd be laughed at.

He needs to improve and will do so by continued training.

The fact it's TSD has nothing to do with it.

axelb, Dead_pool, Grond and 1 other person like this.
  8. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

True. Turning your back is a bad idea. TSD is my base. And I still dream of fighting in the cage.

9. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

timing and balance comes with practice. Lots of practice. You know im a Kyosu right? TSD is my base.

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So?
    Does that make your opinion in any way better or more important than Simon's or anyone else's?
    Or more competent in MA?

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I mean, people obviously can and have done well with their sport karate styles in the cage but those people that do spar heavily with more "regular" MMA type guys. It is still cross training because you need to understand Thai boxing patterns and movement. If you want to fight, go and train at an MMA gym and take everything you know about TSD with you so you can adapt it. Discard anything that hinders you though. Don't cling to techniques for the sake of forcing them to work.

Mitch, Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

That wasn't a bad bit of playful sparring but that's all it was. So then I have to ask...who's ever used TSD in the "Octagon", assuming you don't literally mean the Chuck Norris movie..

13. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

If you want to make what you learnt work in whichever platform it is (In MMA for your example) then go to an MMA gym, train with others that are training in MMA.

Comparing how others do in your martial arts into that platform is a start in an analytical approach to see the outcome, and items you need to work on or use to your advantage from the toolset of your style, but as highlighted by many here, it is largely down to the individual.
    Comparing yourself to someone else's progress is limited, you can only compare you skills by putting them into practice in that platform you desire to test in.

Grond and Knee Rider like this.
  14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I'd say the Thai guy didn't look to bad, kept a high guard, tested his opponents power out, then walked him down and landed some shots, his high kicks were nice and suggested he had a fair bit of experience, but we all look like that when facing someone and something new.

To respond to the thread starter As for the guy in blue doing OK well ...if that was a full power sparring session only one guy was walking out the ring the guy in blue was being carried no power in his shots, and hands way too low.

And I'm sorry but it's as much the art as the artist because the art is it's training methods and if an art uses unrealistic training methods or too restrictive a rule set then it becomes impractical

15. Knee Rider

You know what, you're right. I watched it again focusing on the guy in grey and I reckon I should have been a bit more favourable. He actually does look ok. I think I was primarily focussed on the guy in blue, looking at all his openings and thinking 'why isn't that getting punished'.

icefield likes this.
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think he didn't take the gaps because it was playful and it was something he hadn't seen before, those two high kicks from him made me think he could have taken the guys head off if he had wanted to

David Harrison and Knee Rider like this.
  17. Knee Rider

I think so too.

icefield likes this.
  18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

That's the problem with play sparring it can lead to false confidence, not so much in grappling as even going slow there's real pressure and thus real responses but with play striking without something to keep it honest it can start getting unrealistic, props to the Thai guy for treating it realistically and keeping a tight guard for the most part.

David Harrison, axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  19. Knee Rider

Yeah, for sure. It's one of the points I made in the recent conversation on hard sparring. Not that there is no room for play sparring but it's just one approach out of a few that all need to be there I think.

axelb likes this.
  20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

If there is never any hard sparring, then the play sparring won't benefit as they will not respect the attacks, and false confidence in certain attacks.

In this video the Muay Thai practitioner looked a lot more relaxed about the play sparring, the TSD guy was attacking with a lot more intensity.
    It looked much like one was at play sparring intensity and the other was treating it as higher pressure sparring (certainly not hard sparring).

David Harrison and Grond like this.