[Tang Soo Do] TSD Black Belt Kata

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by chungmoomonkey, Mar 11, 2007.

1. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

Im Training for My second Dagree black Belt in Tang Soo Do and am interested in some forms. I have to do three traditional forms for the kata portian of my exam. I Know a few but i think it would be cool as well asgood formy school if i could show a form that was foriegn to my school. Being a modern school im pretty sure that we have lost some of the old forms and stick to alot of the same ones. The spellings are wrong but some i know are, Jinto, Chungmoo, Low-High(prolly a differant name), Impy, Shehogan, Basiah, Jeon, and a few others that are excaping my mind at the moment. Though these are suffecient for my needs i still think it would be cool to do a Tang soo Do Form that My teacher is not familiar with ( or maybe he knows but has not seen in 20 years.) Any input would be helpful.

2. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I might know a few links: I'm assuming you mean Chinto by 'Jinto', Rohai by 'Low-High', Empi by 'Inpy', Bassai by 'Basiah' and Jion by Jeon. 'Chungmoo' sounds to me like Choong Moo, a Tae Kwon-Do form. Afraid I have no idea what 'Shehogan' is.

Check out this site.

3. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Congratulations on testing for 2nd Dan.
    To start with you use the term kata which I think is a Japanese word referring to forms. Tang So Do being a Korean style uses the term Hung for forms. My teacher gets pretty excited over stuff like that.
    Next for your form, I will have to look up the name but there is a form which is no longer used. It combines the first three forms you learn, or the story I hear is that this was the old basic form 1 but most teachers felt it was too difficult for beginners and it was broken into 3 forms. It is a cool looking form that really displays the basics. It is also very traditional (awesome tournament form). I will try to find out the name tonight and post it back.
    A basic form done well shows that you know a few things well rather than knowing a little bit about everything.

4. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Is this TSD Moo Duk Kwan? Because if so, what forms are you doing if not your standard Bassai - Naihanchi - Jinto - Rohai - etc line of forms?

5. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Gi Cho Hyung O Bu, is the name of a form that is pretty interesting. I learned last night that it is strictly a tournament form. It looks like Gi Cho Hung Ill Bu, but instead of just low block and middle punch after your low block (in the same stance) high block, Soo Do, and step and punch as in basic 1. You are just doing basic techniques, and it is a form you can modify to look good. This is a good form if they ask you to show what you are working on. Our organization is pretty strict as to what you do at a test, for 2nd Dan going to third your forms would be, Pyong Ahn Sam Dan, Pal Che-So, Keemah Hyung Sam Dan, Bong Hyung Sam Dan. The examanier may also ask you to perform anything you have ever gone over.

ER I am a member of the ITF and the back of my uniform reads Moo Duk Kwan.
    Tang Soo

6. EternalRage

I'm guessing that's International Tang Soo Do Federation? Under C.S. Kim? Either way, I've never heard of either Pal Che So or Keemah Hyung, strange because I know a C.S. Kim blackbelt, and he does the same forms as me (Soo Bahk Do).

For me, the forms I have to know for 2nd dan are as follows:

Kicho Hyung 1, 2, 3
    Pyung Ahn 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Naihanchi 1, 2
    Bassai
    Jinto
    Chil Sung 1, 2, 3
    Yuk Ro 1, 2

Other forms past 2nd dan are as follows:
    Naihanchi 3
    Rohai
    Kong Sang Koon
    Rohai
    Sip Soo
    Wanshu
    Seishan
    Jion
    O Sip Sa Bo
    Chil Sung 4, 5, 6, 7
    Yuk Ro 3, 4, 5, 6
    HwaSun

Every school that traces lineage back to the Moo Duk Kwan usually practice all of the above, with the exceptions of Chil Sung 1-7, Yuk Ro 1-6, and HwaSun (which are generally done by Soo Bahk Do, although some TSD MDK still practice them). There's also some lost forms, like So Rim Jang Kwon, Tae Keuk Kwon, and various weapons forms developed by Doju Nim Hwang Kee (founder of Moo Duk Kwan).

I suppose your organization or teacher has been introducing new forms, if you wanted to learn an old form for testing I would suggest Bassai, Jinto, or maybe Rohai with the brick break on the punch. The problem is that these forms, like any other forms, are highly intricate, and would take you several months to years at the least to get to testing quality.

7. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

Naihanchi 1, and Keemah Hyung Cho Dan, are the same form and Keemah Hyung E dan is the same form as Naihanch 2. Pal Che So and Pal Che De are often referred to as the lesser of the two greater forms and the greater of the two greater forms. They are the Red Belt forms you do after Pyung Ahn 1-5.
    C.S. Kim has video tapes on his web site (ITF) where he performs these forms. The tapes are great and C.S. Kim does all the forms except basic 1 and 2 which Master Goss performs.

EternalRage you are absolutely correct on my blood line. Ask your friend if he remembers the forms that represent the snake, slow hypnotic movements with lighting strikes.
    Tang Soo

8. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I'm pretty sure pal che is bassia, pal che so is quite rare in Tang Soo Do now most orgs just practice de.

9. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

This sounds very familiar to me, I'll check with Sa Bum Nim tonight at class.

10. EternalRage

Sorry, Bassai is Pal Che. Went thru some resources and confirmed this - Pal Che, "fast collect", is the same form as Bassai. As for Keemah, I don't know where this name comes from - my guess is since all of Naihanchi is done in horse stance, Keemah was considered appropriate by your organization. However the older name for Naihanchi is Nebojin.

OP, if you wanted to do a form outside of your school, I would have recommended something like the Chil Sungs, but like any form, it's nearly impossible to get all the executions and nuances of each movement without a qualified instructor.

I would have also recommended something else from traditional karate, since Moo Duk Kwan has roots in the Shuri schools of Okinawa. Maybe some other form from traditional Okinawan karate like Sanchin. But again, nearly impossible to do without time and instructor.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  11. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

I checked with my instructor last night and he gave the same information as you, EternalRage. Is your style ish ahn roué (butchered spelling) sorry.

Chungmoomonkey, you might check out the ITF web site if you are interested in a video of traditional forms, but I agree with EternalRage without an instructor to work with on the details of a form it is difficult to prepare a testing quality form. I wish you the best on your test. Tang Soo

12. EternalRage

No, I do Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan.

The spelling is Isshin Ryu. I mentioned Sanchin as an example.

13. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I cheer you all on for getting in here and asking questions and researching. You are the future of martial arts.

The I.T.F. does Bassai de and Bassai so. G.M. C.S. Kim brought Bassai So back to TSD around 1990.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Valued Member

just had a quick question. my good friend is a black belt and he told me that its only 10 forms and nothing more in the system. i went to one of his black belt classesand trained with them. his teacher said he cant teach him anything else only sensativity drills because he knows everything about the system? also his teacher said that he does not believe in degress. now this teacher has been teaching for over 20 years and he is really good. but i told my buddy that i felt it was more to his system and he should look into it.

15. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

There are a lot more than 10 forms in TSD, I currently know 14. If your friend is getting good instruction from a skilled teacher I wouldnt worry about it. As long as he is happy.

16. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

does anyone have a link to a vid of this form?

i do kuk sool won and the form we learn at white belt is ki cho hyung, although it has 6 parts. i would be interested to see the differences (if any)

this is KJN sung jin suh performing the kuk sool version.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1lLS8pTxI"]YouTube[/ame]

17. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

They are totally different, ours is quite simple and easy to learn. Your one looks quite hard, Im glad I didnt have to learn that at white belt:eek
    here is a vid.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kVqYoTNNsg&feature=related"]Kicho Ill Boo Hyong - YouTube[/ame]

18. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

thanks yossarian. they are very different indeed!

i've heard people from other styles say that ours is a difficult form to learn at white, in comparison to what they do but i wouldn't say yours looks that simple. although the techniques you perform aren't very difficult, the constant changing of direction would confuse the hell out of me!!

:)

19. EternalRage

How that guy got past white with that form is amazing.