[Tang Soo Do] Tang Sou Dao

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by SINNistER, Mar 26, 2009.

1. jones boyo

jones boyo New Member

Timmy Boy
    <personal attack removed>, you didnt get past orange tag so how can you coment on martial arts like an expert when you completely failed at tang sou, you were as weak as a kitten and had no back bone for sparring, you even used to shout like a girl.
    I wonder if your uncle who made 2nd duan would share your pathetic views, and also your two mates who made 1st ji and 1st duan.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  2. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Jones, as this is your first post here, I'd like to draw your attention to MAP's Terms of Service, which specifically prohibit personal attacks. We have these rules for two reasons, one we are a "family friendly" forum with minors viewing, and two, personal attacks actively detract from sensible debate.

In future, please express your opinions in a courteous and intelligent manner.

3. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

Sheesh! Way to ruin a fellows day, bro. No reason to attack Tim. :confused:

I practice Tang Soo Do, but I've never heard of Tang Soo Dao. Is it basically the same thing or a completely different style? :hat:

4. jones boyo

jones boyo New Member

Apologies for the way in which I responded to Timmy Boy's postings. You are right to say that I could have/should have replied in a more intelligent manner. However, as a student who has trained in the class Tim was referring to, its very difficult to read his ramblings and remain calm. As I'm sure most people who train in martial arts will agree, it becomes a passion and I for one hold the instructor being discussed by Tim in high regard - so I guess emotions ran a little high.
    I wouldnt want to offend any of the other members of the forum, and hopefully the removal of my first few words will prevent this. Having said that, this is a chat forum and Timmy Boy has been very free in sharing his own views so I feel justified in submitting the remainder of my statement. In my opinion Tim didnt really give the club/style the focus and committment it requires and I just feel that he is turning his lack of achievment in this space into a critism of a club, class and instructor that many others have succeeded under.
    Obviously, these forums are meant for sharing experiences and information but I felt that Tims postings were quite attacking and personal (posting # 25) - to the point that he even states the instructors name and class location in posting # 35! At the end of the day this is just one mans opinion and it would be a shame if his views were to be taken so seriously, by others reading the postings, that they would choose not to train in this style, or more importantly under this instructor!

5. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I know exactly how you feel.

6. JamiepTSD

JamiepTSD New Member

I am very intrigued by the lack of any kind of response by Timmy Boy - especially as his profile page shows he still logs into the forum regularly. What's up Tim, has your false confidence suddenly vanished? Has your sugar pedestal crumbled?

I think I am justified in concluding that he is a very bitter, insecure young man, and I hope one day he realises that he once trained under an instructor who dedicates his whole life to helping his students achieve their maximum potential both inside and outside the training hall. Instructors of this calibur are very rare nowadays Tim...good luck finding one anywhere near as good, or one who will tolerate your complete lack of commitment and focus to anything that is not instantly achievable. I seem to remember your instructor gave you extra attention and tuition when you began training with your uncle, in order to help you overcome your unfortunate family situation. I will not go into details on a public forum...but he went out of his way to help you battle your demons and you remain wholly ungrateful and seem to think you are still owed something. Grow up son!

Forum moderators - I for one think that some of Tim's comments in this discussion should be removed. i.e. where he states the name/location of the club he once trained in. These comments are potentially damaging to the instructor's classes. At the end of the day, this is how he makes a living and any unjustified attacks on his character/physical abilities are detrimental to his business and are indeed libelous. I am sure I am not alone in thinking that Tim deserves some kind of warning for this, and I would like to see all references to the instructors name removed. If Jones Boyo had to remove his comments and be warned I see no reason why Tim should get away with his. Sounds fair don't you think? Surely his posts were a "personal attack" that you claim to prohibit?

Oh and don't worry Jones Boyo...you should feel passionate as you have reached a high standard in your training thanks to your personal dedication and that of your instructor. Anyone who cannot recognise this is jealous of your achievement. At the end of the day, arguments such as this are meaningless - all that matters is fighting ability at the end of the day and we all know where we stand on that one! ;)

7. Theforgotten

Theforgotten Drifting Aimlessly

Well, I have taken the time to review the link and I am approaching this from as objective a position as I can. The name seems to be a Chinese style romanization of the name Tang Soo Do. The grading system seems to be lifted right out of Japanese Karate/Taekwondo/Tang Soo Do (Kyu/Dan = Ji/Duan), and Chinese styles don't use belt ranks either - that is a modern Japanese invention from Judo. The word "Kwan" is used many times, if a style is indeed Chinese, then I would think that it would use the proper word "Kwoon", but maybe it is just a matter of different dialects (my Chinese is rusty - both Mandarin and Cantonese). The seven principles seem to be a play on Seseok Ogye. Ping An = Pyung Ahn/Pinan/Heian? Also, why is a so-called traditional Chinese style using a traditional Japanese Judo Gi and not one of the many uniforms associated with uniquely Chinese styles?

My verdict? It is a Chinese version of Tang Soo Do and/or Japanese Karate. If the training is good and its practitioners are getting what they want out of it, then it is legit as an art. I don't think that it is an old or traditional Chinese Martial Art, more of a modern thing, as the style that it is based off is pretty modern. Whatever floats your boat, and happy training :cool:.

8. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I asked CosmicFish to remove my posts as the offence that they caused has gone way beyond what I envisaged. I have attempted to provide some kind of explanation in a separate thread.

9. Gi.

Gi. New Member

Infrazael seams to have formed his opinion from looking at one page of a web site and zero amount of actual study of the Art.

Grand Master Loke studied Tang Soo (soo Bahk) Do Moo Duk Kwan under Grand Master Kang Uk Lee who is the the highest ranking TSD Student of the Founder still teaching in the world, I belive his Dan Bon is no.70. Grand Master Loke was at the time that he left the highest ranking Master under Grand Master Lee, I belive that he was a 7th dan when he left the Art. Prior to his TSD study Master Loke studied Chinese Martial arts under Master Lim Cheng Hock. He then got involved with TSD as a young man because of it's dynamic style and was encouraged to do so by it's Founder Grand Master Hwang Kee. Tang Sou dao does also have elements of the Korean and Japanese styles as GM Loke appreciates certain elements of them but has vastly incorporated faster shorter range techniques. It is a new up to date Art which has been founded on his knowledge of Chinese systems and his appreciation of the way the Koreans taught. Because it is not old does not make it bad maybe infact it makes it better. Martial Arts need to evolve hence we have JKD, Aikido etc etc. What is old? What is still relevent today even?

And Infrazael I didn't form my opinion through reading 2 paragraphs from a web site and then start shouting "Mc dojo" "Mc dojo" I did it through 30yrs of training, most of it under the above mention Masters. I'm still only a 3rd dan so that so it's hardly a black belt factory as you implied. He may have 300 BB but has been in MAs for about 50 years...Do the maths and stop talking out of your daffodil

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Infrazel has been banned.

He won't be reading the above post.