[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do ??

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by hoppy, Nov 24, 2004.

1. hoppy

hoppy New Member

Hi, Seriously considering to learn Tang Soo Do. Have done Shotokan Karate in the past so think this may be a good style to pick now. Have recently tried Praying Mantis kung fu but found this felt a bit too soft (the forms felt more like i was dancing sometimes)!!

I'm a 20 year old male looking for a style to improve myself physically and mentally. Location in South East Essex. Think there are schools at Waterside Sports Centre, Canvey, if this means anything to anyone local??

Didn't know where else to go to put this thread so if anyone can give advice or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

2. Abraxas

Abraxas New Member

If you've studied Shotokan, there'll be a lot on Tang Soo Do that's familiar. Hwang Kee, the art's founder, was heavily influenced by karate, particularly Shotokan and Goju Ryu, to the point that many of the forms are almost identical.

3. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Yes, the transition shouldn't be too bad. The forms are similar, and the class structures usually are similar as well.

4. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I actually started in Shotokan Karate. I did that for 4 years before finding Tang Soo Do. The second I began training in this art, it was very familiar. I think you'd like it.