[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do Tournaments

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by kayperTSD, Jan 16, 2006.

1. kayperTSD

kayperTSD New Member

Hi all:

I'm planning to travel to a couple of tournaments this year, and attend a couple locally. I may compete a bit, but mostly hope to take my 9 year old and 5 year old to watch the action and possibly compete a little.

I'm curious which TSD tournaments are worth the travel, which "all martial arts" tournaments are best for TSD students, and (more generally) which tournaments are set up best for kids (good competition but with safety in mind).

Any links or dates would be really helpful.

Thank you,

Kay

2. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Generally speaking, the karate tournaments are fine to go to. For kids, probably point sparring is your best bet. Should check with your instructor/master. Perhaps the association your school is affiliated has its own sanctioned tournaments.

3. kayperTSD

kayperTSD New Member

Thank you!

Are there any sites that have good lists of tournaments and projected size, competition info? I've seen some events in the MAP "events" forum, but have yet to find a website that lists everything. I was a bit surprised that Black Belt or some other major site didn't have more info on even the bigger, annual events or some type of calendar with details and dates.

The ones I do know about so far are of various sizes:

- White Tiger All Martial Arts tournament in Cary, NC USA -- February 11, 2006 (small, local tournament)

- American TSD Annual tournament in Boston, MA area -- March 17-18, 2006 I think (Grandmaster Byrne's tournament)

- Raleigh All Martial Arts tournament in Raleigh, NC -- April 29, 2006 (new this year, supposed to be good sized ...a bunch of TSD schools are already planning to be there)

- CS Kim All Martial Arts tournament in Pittsburgh, PA -- early May 2006 but no dates posted yet that I've seen (big tournament and good action from what I've heard)

Tang Soo!

Kay

4. oldshadow

oldshadow Valued Member

You should try out the US open at least once. It’s a great tournament. It’s large but very well run.
    I know the guy who puts it. Or at least he use to I heard he might have turned it over to one of his students.

http://www.usopen-karate.com/welcome.asp?default.asp&2

5. gaelicsolus

gaelicsolus New Member

6. kayperTSD

kayperTSD New Member

This one is now official and info is available from Jason Ladd, the organizer and a 3rd Dan: pamaraleigh@yahoo.com. It is called the Capital City Championships karate tournament.

7. kayperTSD

kayperTSD New Member

I've decided to take my 9 year old son to the Boston tournament this week. the ATA tournament is all TSD, so I think it will be good for us to go and see other aspects of TSD we might not see in our own school.

Anyone have an idea how many kids generally participate?

Do a lot of women join the sparring? I'm thinking of sparring, but as I haven't actually participated in a tournament yet, not sure whether to expect many other women there or just a few.

Kay
    8th gup

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Kay:

Try the World Tang Soo Do Association's website:
    http://www.wtsda.com/studio/index.asp

My ex is getting ready to test for his black belt, and he and a number of his classmates compete regualrly. I know several are going to Worlds this year. It's not a bad website, and if you search around and find what region your state is in, you should be able to find some decent tourney info.