[Tang Soo Do] tang soo do sparring

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by vanhulk, Jun 23, 2007.

1. vanhulk

vanhulk New Member

well my style is mostly based off of tang soo do its chun kuk do, and im going to a world champion tornament in a couple of weeks and can you guys give me any advise on a quick on the line move that hits on the head or face fast and effecctive

2. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

I have no first move for you but my opinion is, throw combinations, stay balanced and stay on the attack, it is hard to score on someone doing those things. Good luck at your competition. TANG SOO!!

3. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

Im not very familiar with Chun Kuk Do but im assuming your competition sparring is similar to TSD. Im also assuming your quite new to competitions so ignore me if im stating the obvious. Good advice from Kickboy, be the attacker more than the defender.

Straight punch combos to the head work quite well against people who prefer to kick, go in fast and aggressive fire a few to the chest to drop thier gaurd and hit the head. Low to high kick combos can work well, start a low midsection roundhouse and quickly change to a head level one. A good idea would be to spar with the higher belts at your club and take note of any tricks they use, or just ask them to show you thier favourite scoring techniques.

Best of luck with the comp and have fun.

4. vanhulk

vanhulk New Member

well i dont think im that new at sparring ive bin doing it for 2 years allready, and im state champion for houston and dallas at the 13-14 red belt division

ive bin experiminting with a skiping spining back kick, and a brutal andy hug axe kick, but the axe kick hasent bin working for me much, i allways miss or my leg dosent go high enogh, but this vegas competition im going to is kind of different, they have groin contact, and you can wait on the floor for 3 seconds if you fall down for your opponet to come in

5. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

rofl the people who have been doing it for 10 would chuckle at you.

there are some on this site who've been sparring for 20.

Some even more than that.

2 is beginner IMO. Especially if most of it is stop and go point sparring, which this sounds like. Really, alot of the strategy in tag carries over if that's the type of sparring you're doing. Be on the offensive for most of the time, speed >> technique & power, and one-two combos to score fast.

Watch some WCL and just copy them.

Groin attacks allowed? Better invest in a good cup, supporter, and compression shorts...

6. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

If it’s going to be a point match where the referee restarts the match after each point here is an old trick. Let’s say you have made it through a couple of rounds and you are still in it but running out of techniques, get right up on the referee and when he says go just lunge hard and fast and strike to the body, it will almost always score if your opponent is not expecting it. I always do this with my leading leg up like I’m going to kick but come right over the leg with a middle punch. One of my training partners uses the same move, we know that sooner or later one of us will try the move, it keeps both of us on our toes when we spar each other. When you do score do not stop striking until you hear the referee say stop, we have all robbed ourselves by stopping after we scored the point no one else saw.
    I agree Eternalrage about WCL, but IMO the most important thing is to DO YOUR BEST, and have fun. We are taught that the true trophies are the ones we hold inside that no one else can see. My last advice is to bring the same thing to each match (0 emotions).
    Good Luck

7. vanhulk

vanhulk New Member

OMG i forgot about wcl that chuck norris strated, o and hes the grandmaster of my style, that should help me alot, just have to take out the knees and elbow and i got some great combos

8. vanhulk

vanhulk New Member

o and if you look at youtube and type in karate do not, their should be a link to a half time show at wcl, and the ppl performing their are some of the instrustors i know and the one dressed like nero from the matrix in the black trench coat is my teacher, their all part of kick start, the program that provides the funding so they can teach chun kuk do in pubic schools

9. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

Combos

There is no one quick and easy technique always guaranteed to score, but combos work really well. 3 seems to be a good amount of attacks, just expirement with what works for you. Two of my favorites are, left leg forward, left punch to head, right punch to head, round kick to head or body. The second is right punch, left punch, left front kick to body. Try those out!

10. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

Hahahaaahahahah I posted "expirement"! Ahahahahahahaaaaaaa! I meant "experiment". Sorry! I hope these techniques don't Expire too soon!

EDIT I spelled "too" wrong that time. I must be more tired than I thought!

Tang Soo!

11. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

pubic schools eh? sounds like fun to me

12. vanhulk

vanhulk New Member

it is fun, i dont like private schools much, they just dont do it for me, they seam like their scared to get hit

13. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

State champ in both Dallas and Houston? Is that like being the state champ in Texas? j/k

best way to win teh tourney - have fun and make sure to take as many mental snapshots as you can because once it is over it is history and those mental shots are all you have.

14. 3rd Dan W. KY

3rd Dan W. KY New Member

Sparring is like anything else depends on your size

It really depends on your height and amount of training in free sparring. I love sparring but had to learn the hard way about it. I am 5'5" tall. when I first started sparring. I could no figure out why I was always getting so many points called against me. Until one Day my Master took me aside, and said you have to learn to fight your own fight. Not your opponents, a taller person can stay to the out side and strike and score. If you fight his fight he will end up winning. Being shorter you have to take that height advantage away from him, by jumping in close to him taking his kicking and reach advantage away from him. Scoring your point while keeping him tied up by hugging his leg (just a metaphor Smile) the after scoring your point retreating back to a safe distance out of his reach.

15. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider