[Tang Soo Do] Tang Soo Do and T'ang Shou Tao

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by shaolin_hendrix, Jan 1, 2006.

1. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

What's the connection between Tang Soo Do and the Kung Fu style T'ang Shou Tao?

2. Yossarian

Yossarian Valued Member

I believe T'ang Shou Tao is a variation of Tang Soo Do. The creator had trained in the korean style and combined it with kung fu(if im remembering correctly). I think the two styles are practically the same thing, same forms basics etc. There is someone on these forums who used to study it(Timmy boy) perhaps he'll pop in and shed some more light.

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

T'ang Shou Tao sounds suspiciously like the Chinese (Wade-Gyles) translation of "Tang Soo Do." I suspect it's just the Chinese name for Tang Soo Do (kind of like how Karate is "Kong Shou Dao").

4. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

There are (at least) two possibilities here that I know of, there is a school of kung fu based in Taiwan which calls itself T'ang Shou Tao and was featured in the BBC series Way of the Warrior (if I remember correctly -it is a long time ago when it was aired- it taught Hsing I, Pa Kua, and Tai Chi, they also had a 'foundational' hard style which they required students to learn first.) There is also an offshoot of Tang Soo Do taught in the South of England headed up by a Chinese instructor called Loke which uses this pronunciation/transliteration. I've seen this style and as far as I can tell is pretty much Tang Soo Do - they were certainly doing the same forms and using the same basic stances etc., although since I do Shotokan some of the differences with Tang Soo Do might not have been fully apparent to me, the main difference I noted was that the class was conducted with Chinese rather than Korean terminology. The chief instructor had an article sometime ago in a UK magazine where he said that what he had done was blend in some Chinese techniques and insights he had learned as a young man and his students were very happy with this new direction.