[Tang Soo Do] My E Dan Test

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by PsiCop, Apr 23, 2005.

1. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Hmm, I can see where you're comming from, PsiCop, and I appologize if I came accross as a prick. I was just kinda' offended because it took me quite a while to perfect my double-jump front kick, and being a 14 year old who's a 6'2", 200lb athlete, I'm not used to having people around my age take it to me like you did in that first post. Both of our E-Dan tests went about the same, as we were both prepared for it. It was just that statement (wasn't it supposed to be a test? )" that got me angry because I had to work hard to get it right, and with that comment, it seemed to me like you were getting a little too big for your britches. But, now that I understand your point of view, it doesn't really matter that much. Congradulations on your test and good luck in your future training.

2. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Well I'm glad that is all sorted. I was not quick enough to the keyboards, but Yossarian75 said it for me ;)

Text can be a poor medium - but it need not be with the emphasis and the smilies we can add :p . The important thing is not to simply read one sentence from someone and make a judgement on those bland words - I've read a lot of PsiCops text, and saw no problems with the report on his testing because I was reading with my mental picture of him in mind. Thoughtful, open minded, experienced, and not out to prove anything.

None of us are perfect - so give & take all round. BTW WeenusBandit - I checked your profile, and if your birthdate is 1980 doesn't that make you 25??? :D (And where did you get that name :confused: - I hope there is a snackfood in the USA called a Weenus.... or do I???)

3. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Well, for the record, it took me about a year and a half to get that kick down. So, I can agree that it isn't the easiest kick to master.

I'm glad we got this sorted out as well. I can try and use a better choice of words next time.

*bows to all in respect*

4. chrischris

chrischris New Member

i dont like testing. it certainly brings out the best in everyone, but i think there shouldnt be one break per test, (i know i cant do a split kick - then again i am a green belt) and there should be several breaks per test i think.

5. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Mmmmm mixed feelings about this exchange... I was always taught that no one is above being a student, that doing things "perfectly on the first try" is an idealization that we all train to achieve but never can. Didn't post anything b/c I thought it was PsiCop being excited.

6. EternalRage

For testing my master likes to figure out breaks that each student has trouble with. Then he tells them a week or two before the test that that's the break they're doing. I also agree that more breaks would be good.

7. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Yeah, we should start using smileys more often. P.S. I put 25 on my profile because I didn't know if there was a 'minimum age limit' for registering. Since I'm still a minor, it's not too bad to say I'm, oh, ten years older. :cool:

P.S.S. I really don't know what 'weenus' means. This one girl told me it was that loose skin over your elbow joint.....so I don't know- Use your imagination! ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  8. EternalRage

So you are 15, 6'2 and 200lb.... holy crap

9. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Lol, yeah not very many people can believe it. It really works in the 'intimidation' department too. :cool: Like, when you walk into the sparring ring and you stare down on your opponent who's half your size, it's always a plus in your favor. ;) I'm gonna' be in 13-15 year old E-Dans, but I haven't been to a tournament in over 2 years, and this will be my first Nationals tournament comming up. We'll just have to wait and see what competition rolls up :)

10. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

I passed my E-dan test yesterday. I can hardly type today as im so sore, I may need a wheelchair for a couple of weeks until I recover :)

11. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Congrads, Yossarian. In Tang Soo Do or Soo Bahk Do?

12. PsiCop

Heh, good job and congrats my friend. At this point in training, I think one begins to learn the deep intricacies of the art. Certainly an inspiring and exciting time.

13. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

Thanks guys.

Weenus its Tang Soo Do, JC Shins lineage.

I was shown Jin Do last night for the first time. Its a nice form and I think it will take me a while to get used to the one-legged parts. Its been a while since ive had a new form to learn, I forgot how much fun it is.

14. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

In SBD MDK, Jin Do is a form required for your E-Dan test. It just takes a few months of practicing balance to get the crane stances down pat.

15. EternalRage

Hey I was just shown that same form last night...

16. PsiCop

I love Jin Do. It can take a while to truly get the balance down.

I remember a drill we were practicing a few weeks ago in the Dan class. Our instructor had us get to the part where the one-legged stances come into play. From there, he had us go one move at a time, by the count, and anyone who hopped or skidded had to sit down. This was particularly difficult on the motions where you pivot 180 degrees on your foot. The ones who remained standing after doing it a few times were commended. About 5 out of 25 students were left standing. I was one of the sitters ;). A few more months of practicing the motions, and I feel I can get that section well enough to have been one of the ones standing. It was an interesting test of balance. I enjoyed it.

17. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

The key to those one-legged stances is the bend in your leg that's keeping you up. A lot of beginners like to keep a stiff leg when they go up into the one-legged stance, and it makes it difficult to go from a locked leg to a bent leg WHILE pivoting. If you slightly bend your knee that's keeping you up and then pivot/sink before the front kick, it makes the whole technique smoother / easier.

18. chrischris

chrischris New Member

il agree with that, also, when kicking or doing anything i have to keep my knee bent (except a front stance) otherwise my bodyweight just buckles my knees. ive had some pretty bad problems with them, and my master said to just keep my knees bent when doing things like that. my knees are much better now, i can get back to weights too,so its nice :)

19. WeenusBandit

WeenusBandit New Member

Yeah, if you can find a machine that works out your hamstrings that'll do wonders in your one-legged stances. Also, I've always found that a leg-press machine / squat machine helps your front stance / horse stance a lot.

20. PsiCop

Yes, keeping the grounded leg bent is essential.