[Tang Soo Do] Major differences between TSD and TKD?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by JimmyTKD, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JimmyTKD

JimmyTKD New Member

From what I've researched, TSD has a less emphasis on fancy kicks and point scoring maneuvers. I'm thinking about taking TSD once I achieve black belt in TKD (3 years or so down the road).

Also, anyone go from TKD to TSD and how was the transition? Do you like it better?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

A lot will depend on whether you're talking ITF or WTF TKD? I imagine the latter from your post?

Mitch

3. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I've switched from MDK TKD (WTF affilliated) to TSD MDK.

Transition can be tough or easy, there's so much variation these days with either style, that it's hard to say for sure.

TSD has as much kicking as TKD (mainstream KMA, heh) - I had to make some changes in kicking mechanics. TSD I did used alot more hip in their kicks than TKD did - but then again this was my personal experience; depending on how traditional your TKD is, you may not find any major differences within technique.

If you are coming off a MDK related TKD off shoot, or even more traditional forms of ITF, you'll generally find little difference.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Please take into account here that I don't really know jack shizzle about Korean MA, but why bother getting a black belt in TKD then switching to something so similar? That'd be like me getting a BB in karate then switching to taekwondo - to all intents and purposes, it's just retreading the same path.

5. monk-ki

monk-ki Monkey..Monk-ki...Get it?

from TKD to TSD

I did the switch from TKD to TSD a long time ago. In my case, TKD was OK, but I felt it was missing something. When I found TSD, I realized there was way more to martial arts then just kicking and punching. The traditionalism and depth of knowledge was much deeper in TSD, more warrior attitude and I liked the people who trained there better, as well. As far as techniques go, I found everything in TSD that I had in TKD, with more added. Not to cut TKD down, but it forgoes some of the character development that you get with a Traditional MA. Finally, to mirror Moosey's statement, why not just go check out TSD right now, and if you like it (and the instructors, very important) then just switch now? If your goal is to have 2 black belts, there are much better options for crosstraining then two very similiar arts, you would be cheapening the experience for yourself. Good luck!

6. JimmyTKD

JimmyTKD New Member

Thanks for the input, all. I never really thought that'd it'd be an issue going BB in TKD then switching to a similar art. I really like my current TKD school and have a goal to achieve BB (Mitch, it's WTF, btw).

We'll see where I'm at in a few years. The character development and mental aspects sound intriguing as well.