[Tang Soo Do] Lessons

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by chrischris, Jun 21, 2005.

1. chrischris

chrischris New Member

what do your lessons consist of?

and what do you wish you did more/less of?

2. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

Our lessons consist of a warm-up of exercises, kicks, and combinations. Then we will usually break off into groups and work on what is on the scedule for that day. Forms, for example. It really depends, but I'd say I'm pretty happy with how well they diversify their lessons in my school.

3. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Lessons at the club I go to consist of

Warmup
    Basics
    Forms
    Kicking
    Sparring
    Conditioning
    Other stuff (self defense techniques, one steps)

Sometimes there's other drills too, they mix it up. 2 hr classes.

Wish there was more groundwork. I took a little BJJ (hopefully get to do more next semester) and various members have wrestled so sometimes in sparring after takedown, we can grapple. But theres no formal training on it and we don't spar with grappling (stop after takedown) that much so its hard to practice sparring with all ranges.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  4. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Warm ups: Jogging/skipping then stretches

Basics: Punches, kicks, combo's

Bag work

More Bag work

Sparring

Misc: New combo's, etc etc

Warm Down

5. franksv

franksv Valued Member

How it went at the dojang on average

warm up

hand strikes/blocks/kicks then combos

more intense kicking including combos

based on scheldule either forms,sparring or self defense for remainder of class

How I practice today

warm up/chi gong/santi

hand strikes blocks(tkd)/5 fists xingyi/ all standing(horse)

tkd kicks

hand strikes blocks(tkd)/5 fists with foot work(xing yi,similair to back stance in tkd.Diamond stepping patterns with blocks,strikes and fists

combinations(tkd and xy) with footwork

forms white through black(1st dan) tkd/forms creative and destructive fists xingyi

end with static stretchs

6. Topher

Topher allo!

Warp up then stretching folowed by the basic techniques are a given in practually all class (although sometimes we might by pass basic techniques to go straight onto somthing else, but rarely)

After that its either pads/one step sparring/kick combos/forms/sparring etc. We dont do them all in each lession.

Today for example we did warm up / basic techniques / forms / step sparring / pads / kick techniques.

7. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

It seems our classes are all pretty similar

heres mine

Warm up and stretching, sometimes we do a cardio kickboxing style warm up(good fun).

Basics in the line, kick combos, hand combos

Pad work, focus mit drills, kickshields etc

Partner drills, sparring or self defence teqs

Forms

weapons

Sparring

Cool down

Classes vary sometimes we just spar or work on conditioning or pad drills for the whole class.

8. chrischris

chrischris New Member

is tehre anything youd like to do more of? id like more sparring, pad work, id like to do takedowns/grappling and two on one sparring, that could be fun lol

9. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

oh yeah multiple opponent sparring - we do that. 1v2, 1v3, 4, 5... whole class (nuts...impossible to defend everything)

10. PsiCop

"Impossible"? I wouldn't say that. Extremely difficult possibly, but never impossible. 1 man vs. 100 at the same time may seem impossible, but it's not. There's a chance the 1 can win.

11. chrischris

chrischris New Member

'CAN' being keyword. if i went into a nursery and started bashing 5 year olds i might win. the guy who beats 100 must be extremely gifted and talented, and the others blinfolded or summin.

i seriously dont think anyone could do that

12. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

We do multiple opponent sparring, its a grading requirement for dans and high gups. Some times we do a bit of blindfold sparring as it helps with awareness etc.

Id like to see more weapons sparring at my school, we practice forms quite a bit but dont get to spar with them very often. Of course a bit of ground and clinch work cant hurt either.

13. Slavist

Slavist New Member

Warm-ups
    13 Basic Movements in line
    Kicking/punching combos in line
    Forms(70% of the time, 30% replaced by bag-work)
    1-step sparring
    Kick/Block Drills
    Sparring (sometimes multiple opponents)

I would like to see even more sparring, although we usually do two 1.5 minute fights per person.

I would like to see less of the combos, because I am having a real hard time performing correctly when kicking in mid-air, and it is really depressing :eek: Combos, I think, should be done againstmoving people with body shields, which we have done, but rarely.

I would like to see some more defense techniques against knive, but that is reserved for higher belts.

I would hate to see anything that involves weapons training, such as nunchaks etc, because I found those really pointless and stupid.

14. chrischris

chrischris New Member

id liek to do that

15. PsiCop

It's not pointless if they're common. For example stick fighting or knife usage. Those two items are easily found on the street and are more practical than a three section staff, for example.

16. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

The thing about weapons training is, its fun. You can debate how practical that kind of training is but the bottom line is its great fun to do.