[Tang Soo Do] Dong Doi Hyung - Have you heard of it?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Andy Cap, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

I remember posting this question in the Tae Kwon Do section because Tang Soo Do didn't have a separate section. Well I am reposting it with the answer.

I was flipping through Grand Master Hwang Kee's book "Soo Bahk Do Tang Soo Do Volume 1" On page 151 of the 1995 English version, GM Kee shows some different ready stances for hyung. For example the ready stance for Bassai, Naihanzi, Wong Shu, etc. Among these forms was Dong Doi Hyung.

I had never heard of this hyung, so I did a lot of asking and research. My question was finally answered by one of the most knowledgable Tang Soo Do masters I have ever had the pleasure to meet - GM Charles Ferraro. Here is his explanation.

Awesome information I thought I would share. I am hoping to get a version of this on tape or find it some where in writing. If any of you know of a place to get this in writing or on film, please let me know.

2. PsiCop

PsiCop Antonio gets the women...

I personally have never read about or seen this form to my knowledge. Certainly an interesting tidbit though. Perhaps it's taught in some schools, more obscurely.

3. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

I have a sneaking suspicion Dam Toi Hyung originates from the schools of Hsing I in China which were famed for their battlefield prowess and dangerous DimMak techniques which terrified the Praying Mantis Schools of Tai Ci Chuan.
    I have experienced some of Mantis form and will correspond with a knowledgeable teacher of Kung Fu and try and get some historical info on Dam Toi and keep you all posted on any results.
    "Peace and Harmony"
    Briton

4. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

I may have a TamToi on tape, if I find it would you want a copy??

b

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

:) You know I would for certain!! Is there any word on GM Ferraro's DVD's?

Thanx

6. BRITON

BRITON Valued Member

Can anyone beg a copy of this hyung? If so, pretty please may I have a copy snpas@blueyonder.co.uk tell me the terms I may recieve a copy under.
    "Peace and Harmony"
    BRITON

7. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

Well,
    Let me go digging for it this week, I have quite a few boxes of material in the basement due to contstruction in the house. when I locate the right tape I will make copies they will be VHS in whatever the US version is.

b

8. TangSooRed

TangSooRed New Member

the dvd's are in production, I saw a prelim price list and they are 29.95 each and there are going to be packages too.

b

9. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Thanks B. There is a good chance I will be at GM Byrne's tourney, so it you do find it before then - whooohoooo!!

I saw GM Ferraro's prelim prices and such. I was more interested in if they are available to people outside of the organization. I am pretty excited about them.

10. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Hey Bred - I will be at the tourney!! I just got the day off from work. So, we will see you there!