Taijiquan Full Contact Competition

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Sandy, Jul 15, 2006.

1. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I love fighting and scrapping with folk. Been punched, kicked, arm barred, knee barred, chocked, wrist locks, kneed, head butted, elbowed, heel hooked - had it all and love every second of it.

Just struck me as a weird place to take a belter, right on the lips. I wonder if I were puckering up at the time :p

2. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Hmmmmm if you were puckering up at your opponent it could explain why he did it :)

3. piratebrido

Could be, but I still think it was the kick to the nuts. Wasn't a proper kick to the nuts though, more of a warnng shot.

4. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Ah, but did it look internal? Or was it just a 'caveman kickboxer' warning shot?

5. piratebrido

Totally internal. His fear that is after the shot!

6. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

I looked at your clip and noticed your hair looks quite internal... :D

7. noblenicky

noblenicky New Member

TJB:

1) So what would you call taiji in demonstration?

2) Would you care to post some video, preferably of yourself, that underlines what you believe to be taiji? (It's still better for someone who posts clips of themselves and got criticised for it, rather than those who criticises but never posts)

3) Your 'slogan' says "Formless Warrior", yet you keep looking for form in everything you see.

Sorry, just had to butt in after reading 5 pages of denial.

8. Taiji Butterfly

...best served cold eh?

There are many ways to demonstrate Taiji skills. This thread is about some full contact clips that were posted here not about demonstrations tho. If you mean how is Taiji used in fighting, again there are many ways. I am just commenting that I do not see the fundamental body or energy skills of Taiji being demonstrated in those particular clips and that it is my opinion that gloves distort the process into something else.
    Actually no, I wouldn't. Thanks anyway tho ;) :) - and guess what? That doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I just don't have any clips to post and you wouldn't see anything in them anyway. People tend to only see what they want to see in clips. Maybe that's why I can't see much Taiji in the clips posted on this thread. Liokault's was okay tho. I still think boxing's value as training for IMA is overrated tho.
    Actually no, I don't. Read carefully back through my posts and you'll find I have said no such thing. Cullion started that off. I see all fighting as formless. Forms are for development and practice imho. Fighting is something else.
    Being a formless warrior is not a reference to my Taiji btw
    Sure. thanks for not judging me tho eh? How's your chinese history coming along these days btw? Are you still in denial about that? ;)

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

OMG, I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with TJB on this. Rules based gloved fighting doesn't demonstrate tai chi fighting. Everything ends up looking like kickboxing is because that is the best style for the rules of the fight.

The Bear.

10. piratebrido

**crowd gasps, woman screams and children cry**

11. Taiji Butterfly

12. moononthewater

Did nt some one say out of the 18 participants from the original clip only 2 were Tai Chi practitioners?? Which might explain why it looked like kickboxing...

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

No. No one said that......Which explains why it didnt loom like kick boxing :D

14. piratebrido

I thought it was the other way around.

What does it matter what it looks like - it's whats happening on the inside that counts.

Right...?

:D

15. moononthewater

Liokault

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cullion
    It should also be noted that whilst the event was hosted by a TCC teacher, other styles were free to enter and not everybody there was a TCC practitioner.

Most years its manly made up of kick boxers, this year of the 18 fighters, only 2 were not with a tai chi club.

I stand corrected it was the other way round though I still think it looks like kickboxing :). Though if Im honest many competative forms of pushing hands look more like wrestling !!!! (but thats a whole new thread :)

16. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

It didnt look like kick boxing. This looks like kickboxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3di6HpvWas&search= kickboxing

Now this dosent look the same.

http://wongkk.com/video-clips-2/taiji-bout/taiji-bout.html

I tried to find something that we could all agree looked like tai chi, but I could only find sycophantic demonstrations

17. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

Bah, that's not kickboxing. That's full contact karate. :p

Seriously though, how do you all define "kickboxing" here? Is it any free fight that consists primarily of striking? Would you consider Olympic TKD or knockdown kumite to be "kickboxing"? Or do you have more exacting standards?

18. Taiji Butterfly

We probably all have different ideas about defining kickboxing tbh
    To me it's a sports version of an MA where kicking and punching are both allowed while wearing gloves etc and takes place in a set space with a referee over set rounds. Points and judges are usually involved at some level also.
    Can I just state btw that I am not anti-kickboxing as such, I just don't think Taijiquan suits its environment particularly well.
    If you wanna kickbox, you're better off training an art that is fundamentally about kicking and punching imo
    ...but hey ho everyone's ideas of Taiji are different I'm guessing....
    whatever... :confused:

19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Well, its like boxing,

But with kicks.

Hence,

Kickboxing

Boxing+kicking = boxerkick? Kickpunch? Knifey spooney? Boxick?

20. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Well, if we are going to agree that kickboxing 'looks' like a 'sports' version of a given MA (given that any MA done on any one other than a stranger trying to mug, you can be defined as sport), done with gloves and allowing (but not limited in movement to) both punching, and indeed kicking, practised in a limited space and adhering to previously agreed rules.

Then yes, the original clips did indeed look like kickboxing :bang:

From now on, kickboxing shall be known as "a sports version of an MA where kicking and punching are both allowed while wearing gloves etc and takes place in a set space with a referee over set rounds. Points and judges are usually involved at some level also."

Finally, a definitive definition that we can all agree on.