Tai Chi, Qi and the "special powers"

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Tatsuma, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Tatsuma

Tatsuma New Member

What are the most commons "special powers" do you hear from non-MAists that tai-chi practicionners can develop, or even from MAists who read too much DBZ?

What, on the other hand, do you believe it's possible to achieve with Qi as a tool?

Let's discuss :)

2. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

lol *special powers*

3. Tatsuma

Tatsuma New Member

lol, i know, i referred to it as "special powers" after reading the Ki thread where someone asked to know how he could use chi and he made some comment about "knowing it won't be like [insert name] of DBZ"

I just hope people will see thru the irony and that i'm seriously investigating what can be the effects of Qi in tai-chi (and i'm obviously not talking to people from Erle's school ;) ) can be in other people's mind and what they think can be possible (for example, Empty Force, etc.)

4. Tatsuma

Tatsuma New Member

(and i want to hear both sides of it, a girl already told me that Tai-Chi was linked with ESP so :rolleyes: i think it could both bring a humorous (by the example) and interesting (by your own views) discussion on the subject)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  5. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I think that the reason so many people are unwilling to explore their chi is because of these so-called special powers that you hear about on magazine inserts.
    Chi will never enable you to:
    Manipulate something you aren't touching.
    Make your body so light that you can jump thirty feet.
    Give you mystical powers where you can paralyze someone with a single touch, and then tap them back to life again.
    On the other hand, cultivating and balancing your chi CAN:
    Bring you to a high awareness and control of the inner workings of your own body enabling you to work through problems that you may not have known you had, otherwise.
    Help you balance your emotions, your body, and your spirit.
    Enable you to utilize your entire body for striking, thus allowing a high potential for force with less distance required.
    Develop your coordination and reaction time so that your body acts as a unified whole, allowing you to move faster and with more awareness.
    Develop a high sensitivity to your opponent.
    9/10ths of what you hear about chi is complete and utter bulls**t, and it detracts from the very real and positive effects that chi cultivation has to offer.
    Just my 92 cents.

6. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

7. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Oops-- wrong thread! Sorry-- forget that link, it has nothing to do with this.

8. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

hwado........... i'l think u'll find that within 1 to three touches without chi a good dim mak master could paralize you. ANd them..................un paralize you.

9. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

well ok maybe strike not touches.

Soz

10. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Or, if you watch the old kung fu movies, he can make you laugh/cry/yell/sing uncontrollably by pressing the points.

11. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Hey, ya'll are preaching to the choir.

12. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

A special power has been overlooked. It's the one where you suck your gonads back up into your body to withstand kicks to the groin. Now I don't know about you, but I reckon it's gotta take something like Qi to get that big one back up through the duct!

13. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

"It's okay Minnie, the left one will drop."
    If you can name the movie that quote is from, you win a purple bear. :cool:

14. nzric

I wonder how you train for that - I'd think it would be an all or nothing deal.

I know a guy who got in a fight in juvenile prison, and got one kicked up inside towards his stomach, but that's another story.

15. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

There was a tai chi guy named wang shu jin who supposedly could do it, but he claimed that it was a skill you had to learn before a certain age, or it was dangerous.

You could kick him right in the sack, anyway, and apparently it didn't bother him.

16. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Well like Santa always says "an empty sack can't do you no harm".

17. nzric

What a party guy. I could imagine old mr wang running around "hey, wanna see a cool trick - kick me in the sack, comeon, just once.."

18. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

19. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

aparently sumo wrestlers use to be trained to do it.

20. zun

zun New Member

Hmmm... Wondering Mr Wang had any kids - or maybe he perfected the trick after...