tai chi controlling chi energy

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by snewchybewchy, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"Energy Chi" believers always end up with a similar stance to this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqs9DYisSsg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqs9DYisSsg[/ame]

2. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Its the fuel that powers the engine.

Cheers

3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

More hyperbole and still no substance. You're operating from the assumption that what you do is far more advanced and deep and efficient than what the rest of us do, but you've never felt any of us move.
    After all you've said about having to feel chi to understand it, that's extremely hypocritical. Trust me, you don't understand CACC or SAMBO until you've felt it. Hell, Hannibal here is a bonafide Vu-doo shaman and you just don't understand that until you've been there either.

4. Kurtka Jerker

What, specifically, is "fuel" a metaphor for in your last post?
    I have my ideas but what do you mean by "fuel", exactly?

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i think he means he runs on sunlight like superman.

that or hes a "magic chi-eese energy fills my soul with the light of internal martial arts" nut

because we all run on the break down of ATP molecules and the physically fit are better at processing food into that fuel for muscle use (but he has said that "real" martial arts dont use muscle they use chi so who knows?).

6. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

chi is.......energy generated through food? chi is calories?

7. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

I would say it is more a chemical reaction, is gravity mechanical?, it is not black and white. Is calculus just plus and minus of numbers?, yes but very complicated group of minus and pluses .

Just because you know how to add and subtract does not mean you can automatically know calculus.

I would say "chi" is more like a high level communication system, that enables more control of more things all at the same time.

Cheers

8. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

No, the mind or "yi" Leads the "chi", not food Leads the "chi".

Cheers

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I think Robinhood may be refering to the book "T'ai Chi Classics" by Waysun Liao.

If this is the case - the book is just as airy-fairy mystical as Lou and Robin's posts. I may be able to interpret their lack of understanding of the subject matter at hand, if they are indeed drawing their 'learning' from this book.

That said: the book in question defines Chi thus:

(Tai Chi Classics, Waysun Liao, page 18)

As for Lou...
    Sour grapes?

Damn those pesky westerners... Are we sure that the issue wasn't with Cheng's instructions on 'how' to relax? The meaning of 'relaxation'? I've met plenty of western IMA'ists who have been able to demonstrate the ability to relax their core.

Dude, I don't have a problem with hearing about qigong drills. The issue is, that you are not discussion such a thing. What you're talking about is some sort of newage nonsense.

But, it's not advice of any kind. It's a child trying to sound profound when talking about comicbooks.

Finally, something we can agree on :)

I'm not being insulting - I'm just pointing out that what you are saying is incorrect. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Is TaiChi 'inextricably' linked with qigong? That's a thread in itself. But, initially I would say not.

Sheesh, and I'm the insulting one?
    Lou, which of us has a history of making up fairy stories and trying to pass them off as fact? Which of us has learned Taiji from dvds and a few months of practice under some un-named teacher?

Mainly because your ideas are based on inaccurate understanding of concepts beyond your grasp.

Clearly you don't.

Lou, I'm not the one claiming some sort of super-secret-mystic knowledge, that everyone else too 'low level' to understand.
    Although, since you seem to know very little, I don't see how you could hide it. Because you're certainly not hiding your lack of knowledge.
    Besides, I've posted my thoughts and opinions of Chi on MAP (and other places). I've got no beef with sharing my thoughts. But then, I understand and accept that my understanding has limits, and I'm open to discussing the thoughts of others. Something you are unwilling to do. You just want us all to bow down to you and proclaim how profound your insight is.

Hmm, the discussion about the quality of internal (or any) martial arts in mainland China is one that I'm not keen to get into.

Surely we have a responsibility to share acurate, tested knowledge, rather than vague, newage 'knowledge'.

The first part of this is more airy waffle. However, the highlighted section shows just how big-headed you are. Especially for some who attends class "once every two weeks or so". Yet, apparently, you also teach yourself:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107204

Clearly, someone who "knows a great deal about this subject".

10. Kurtka Jerker

Wait wait might someone check and see if RH's IP is in Hampton Roads or Virginia Beach? Maybe at a college or library or something?
    Really, think about it, no info, conducts himself in essentially the same way, appears after the implosion of the first one's rep on this site, both "practice" the same art, neither is willing to post evidence of ever training anyhwere, etc.
    May not be but it's definitely an alley I'd want to look down.

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

The engine being the body?

If it is the fuel that powers the engine then do you need anything else to power the engine?

Please try and drop the metaphors it'll get too confusing, as you can no doubt see. Honestly? If you know about this area then dumbing it down in layman's terms shouldn't be a problem and you shouldn't have to rely on falling back on shaky comparisons to get your point across.

Are you asserting that chi physically causes movement ?

Or does it work someway on a level like say the way the ATP-CP does?

12. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Hey, I thought you had to go somewhere?

When I say fuel, it is in the meaning that it creates a reaction from its presence.

Kurta I am not trying to be condescending of my posts to you, but they are some real Neanderthals following this thread. Your questions are good.

Cheers

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Don't push Robinhood too hard, you may get yourself banned. I had asked Robinhood some simple questions in another thread and I was almost banned. The funnest thing is the title of that thread is "i'm learning to free sparr". :confused:

Since this is "another thread", I'll ask Robinhood the same questions again here. If I can't ask my "sparring" question in "sparring" thread, may be I can ask it in "Chi" thread.

14. Mangosteen

mate you're getting mocked for just not clearly defining chi.

by it you mean Chi? and what reaction does it create and again - what is it?

15. Kurtka Jerker

Actually I did go to get lunch but I believe I did that after that post.

So chi is something that causes a reaction in the body.

Isn't that a little vague? Literally every material known to man is able to cause a reaction in the body. Is there any way you could narrow that down?

16. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Yes the engine is the body.

The engine has be able to react with the fuel, so the engine must be in a condition and mode that allows the "chi" power it.

Yes and "chi" causes the effect which causes internal changes that can lead to movement.

What does ATP-CP stand for?

Cheers

17. Mangosteen

ATP-CP = Adenosine Tri-Phosphate + Creatine Phosphate.
    ATP is the molecule your body breaks down to produce energy to feed all bodily functions like digestion, respiration and muscle movement.
    It works in three energy Systems:
    - ATP-PC system (Phosphogen system) - This system is used only for very short durations of up to 10 seconds. The ATP-PC system neither uses oxygen nor produces lactic acid if oxygen is unavailable and is thus said to be alactic anaerobic. This is the primary system behind very short, powerful movements like a golf swing, a 100 m sprint or powerlifting.
    - Anaerobic system (Lactic Acid system) - Predominates in supplying energy for exercises lasting less than 2 minutes. Also known as the Glycolytic System. An example of an activity of the intensity and duration that this system works under would be a 400 m sprint.
    - Aerobic system - This is the long duration energy system. By 5 minutes of exercise the O2 system is clearly the dominant system. In a 1 km run, this system is already providing approximately half the energy; in a marathon run it provides 98% or more.

at the base of all these systems the breakdown of ATP is what creates energy

18. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Sure, but can you control it.

If you are relaxed, and you move your mind to different parts of your body, do you sense something changing ?

Cheers

19. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

so what is this chi, is it something science can explain? or is it some kind of unknown energy like lou beleives? In your opinion? you know mine by now.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Uh huh. I get heavier or lighter, or my opponent gets heavier or lighter, or I'm able to create a sensation of warm and cold at the same time above my navel, for a few examples. I can even predict what my opponent wants to do before he does it sometimes.
    But all of those things have specific, physical, non-chi explanations. If chi is a metaphor for any physical thing that seems unusual, I imagine you would have already said that, so it must be something besides those sensations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.