tai chi controlling chi energy

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by snewchybewchy, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

If you are asking Chinese athletes... take that a step further and ask about military.

For example, the U.S. military has for generations made studies on just about anything you can think of that could be useful. Just you mentioning that people can feel if someone is watching them is something that is part of military studies. Army Rangers go through training on such, at least in the old days (not that old, thirty years ago)... training would be on how to not let someone know you are watching them, to observe without kicking off their "sixth sense". Learning how to change how you walk, etc. are all part of what would be stealth training.

What percentage of the time do people actually know someone is watching them... not a very high percentage, but the military doesn't take chances when they can avoid it. If something even has a low percentage chance of going wrong, they want to find a way to remove that variable.

Why do they care? It is called preparation, you do that before the mission because during the mission, you don't want to have to think about this stuff, save the thinking for important stuff that comes up.

Military might study Chi, and you bet they have, but they would not base it on stuff discussed at a level it is discussed on MAP, in this thread, because there is too much variable, too much that could go wrong, and a lot of speculation from so called experts.

So what would military find out about Chi? Does anyone know? Is there anyone on MAP that knows or can find any case studies on the matter?

If it were me, which I'm no expert on the subject, there is no reason not to think that the military has not researched the psychological affects on the human body. For example, one might look into how one can control the chemicals released in their own bodies or in the bodies of others. There is a lot of talk about "electricity" and Chi, but as I recall, it is chemical reactions that do most of the things in the human body. Even the gap between nerves is bridged with a chemical reaction, not electricity.

How are people "programmed" to release chemicals in the body? Can this programming be altered? Can it be altered by a reaction to a stimulus either physical or something not physical such as driven by a memory?

Just some thoughts.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

What a lot of nonsense you talk! Do you make it up yourself, or are you just repeating stuff that some other nutcase has told you? :confused:

You've done a few months Taiji, mostly learnt from a DVD, and you feel qualified to try to lecture experienced practitioners like Dan Bian (and others) when they question the drivel that you talk about it.

You are a joke, Lou. If you really have any interest in Taiji then for goodness sake get yourself a proper teacher and start training. Then maybe in a few years we can have a serious conversation once you have got your feet on the ground and your head out of the clouds.

3. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

I understand what he is saying, and he is not saying anything wrong, maybe you need to find a new teacher or get out a little more.

Cheers

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I'm perfectly happy with the teacher I've got, thanks. He teaches Taiji, and doesn't talk a load of pseudo-mystical claptrap. If you're of the tree-hugging persuasion then that's your choice, but suggesting that I need to 'get out more' because I don't buy Lou's BS just makes you sound a bit silly.

5. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

What Lou says ties in with what Scott Meredith writes.He is of the same style and has stressed that most tai chi students have a real problem when it comes to reaching the necessary degree of relaxation.The truth is unless you learn to fully relax,and that also includes the mind and emotions,you will never feel chi.This is where the health benefits come from as you are forced to let go of stress.Its about letting go and not achieving rather than trying to reach a goal.A return to man's natural state of being.

6. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

The First Earth Battalion.

I read most of the studies that were published in the mid-eighties.The conclusion was that most mystical arts had little benefit for the soldier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Earth_Battalion

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

deleted - really not worth the effort

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Well what you just said sounds sensible. When Lou posts it sounds like the ravings of a disordered mind.

There may be some nuggets of truth buried amongst all the rubbish, but most of what he says sounds like gibbberish to me. Some of it sounds like he may be repeating stuff he's been told and maybe misunderstood, but I'm sure a lot of it is just what he's making up.

Thing is it's hard to follow his posts because he insists on dressing everything up in this juvenile 'dudespeak' way of talking. I've suggested to him that if he dropped the act and talked normally then it might be possibele to have a conversation with him, but I think it's a smokescreen that he likes to hide behind. And that's why I don't think I'll bother trying to discuss anything with him in future. It's starting to feel like I'm just 'feeding the troll'.

9. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I think Lou's main problem is in trying make sense of what he has found out.You have to speak to people in language they can understand and relate to.If you speak in new age babble people will quickly loose interest and dismiss it as nonsense.

10. Hannibal

The trappings aside the core poistion is the same - chi=energy, which also can be broken down to chi=energy=unproven

Now the flip side is chi=physical skill = demonstrable

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

There's a lot of truth in that, and I've tried to point that out to Lou, but he doesn't seem to want to have a normal conversation with anyone.

If he came on saying things like: "I've done such-and-such..." and "it felt like such-and-such..." and "what does such-and-such mean?" and so forth, then you've the starting point for a discussion. But babbling on about great handfuls of chi, and magic this and that, and how all-powerful his chi is after watching a dvd for two months (or whatever) just makes him look like a berk. More so when he has already got serious credibility issues round here due to stories which he has admitted were made up.

I know it might seem like I'm trying to flame him, but I've tried to encourage him to drop the act and start to engage in normal conversations. I've said before that I think he's a lot smarter than he let's on, and I'm sure that if he stopped with the BS then he could contribute something worthwhile and learn something in the process. But he seems happy to spout nonsense and try to lecture people who have actually spent some time studying Taiji. Silly, really.

12. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Have you ever read "Tai-chi classics" ?

Cheers

13. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

I think you have chi mixed up with Jet-I powers.

Maybe read "Tai Chi Classics" and see if your version of chi is only your version.

Cheers

14. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

Is there a point to this thread anymore?

I mean, the world works under a set of rules. It's up to the individual to try and understand them. Fortunately there are plenty of good rulesets and manuals, as well as bogus ones.

We make great efforts to explain to each other which rules are right. Damn, we kill people with that excuse. But in the end there will be winners and losers, and that's the final proof. Knowledge can be shared, not imposed. If someone chooses to abide to a set of wrong rules, I can only wish they don't fall from too high when they inevitably do.

And I also hope my rules are decently correct, and that I always maintain the ability to change them.

15. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

Well the point is, what is "chi" in the context of MA ?.

Cheers

16. Falcord

Falcord Valued Member

Nothing definite. Up to personal interpretation, and usually better explained by other terms.

Anything outside that is either unproven or has been proven wrong.

I get that not everyone will agree with me, but the last 20 pages of this thread are going in circles. I'm not going to lurk here anymore.

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I have read some Taiji classics, but I don't know whether they are all the classics or just some of them. Could you be a bit more specific?

18. Hannibal

I doubt it is - I suspect it is the way most people see and understand it.

Bodily sensations aside (and the human body is notoriously bad at recognising such things - hell, my weekly tipple of bourbon could qualify as chi by those measures) the so-called "energy chi" manifestations externally are indistinguishable from "non-energy chi"...and by "indistinguishable" I mean "absolutely identical"

Lou is an example of the fluff end of the scale who cannot conceive that normal biomechanics - that do NOT require special cultivation - do the same job as the prosaic and frankly garbage theory he espouses that chi is a tangible and visible energy source.

One of my Sifu's holds his Certified Advanced Medical Qi Gong Practitioner certificate from Sifu Arnold Tayam in 2009. He is also a disciple in Yang and Chen Style Tai-Chi under the same guy. He is also a legit badass and physically incredibly gifted in what you would call "external" styles. He quite explcitly defines "chi" as the biotensegrity phenomena I alluded too earlier.

So whilst I am in no way classifiable as an "Internal" guy, I do the same things just by being damn good at what I do - and this again falls into my longheld belief that the end result of efficiency in combat is a common destination with alternative methods for getting there that meet in the middle

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When my longfist teacher taught sword form in south Afraic, he mentioned, "No Qi, not enough Qi, don't use Li". "Qi" exists in all TCMA styles. Most people just don't talk about it.

http://www.filmy.cvwp.info/movie.php?id=mMdf07n8Mh8

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  20. Robinhood

Robinhood Banned Banned

So you haven't read the book, and your friends probably haven't read the book either, so why talk about something you know nothing about ?.

I think your delusional in what you think you know, because of your lack of experience and knowledge.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.