Tai Chi Chuan

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by jimbo1, Jun 10, 2006.

1. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I quite agree. I don't think that's what "fighting" means to a lot of people today though. Maybe they play too many X-box games?

2. James R

James R New Member

Ottoman

I am trying to check out sami b's site, but it keeps crashing my browser - did he (or does he still) train with wudang tai chi's neil rosiak?

3. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Not exactly... :yeleyes:

4. Qasim

Qasim Valued Member

So you think getting hit in the head regularly is a good thing?

5. The Ottoman

The Ottoman New Member

Yeah he trains with Neil sometimes at the moment work more on BJJ with Eddie Kone, Roylers student.

I have checked the site, I have asked a few people if it works on theirs, it seems to be cool, have you installed the flash 8?

6. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I think the ability to get hit in the head is a good thing.

It is a much better attribute than crumpling into a heap at the first tap.

But then, if you have not been there and been hit, you wouldn't know the value I guess.

7. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

surely the ability to withstand a hit to the head is a good thing.

Everyone has the ability to get hit in the head.

8. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

The ability to avoid getting hit in the head is probably a more useful attribute tho.... :rolleyes: lol
    Crumpling into a heap will probably have more to do with how good your opponent is at targeting his strikes and how much internal power he can put through them into the striking area ime/o :) (I always assume IMA in these discussions btw - in the case of EMA, it is just who can 'take' the most ime as most of the strikes are coming from 'outside' not exploding inside...)
    Hmmm... :cool: :rolleyes: ;)
    Bare hands have a quite different feeling to gloved ones ime, particularly with regard to the numerous pressure points on the face and head - very difficult to affect them with anything but very light gloves on, but much easier with bare knuckles... :)
    I've "been there" many times in the past before I started MA and these days I regularly get clocked in the head on wednesdays (especially by Visage - waija boxer in long-term rehab lol ;) :D - this week during groundwork training he shoved me face first into the ground and split my nose open... made my eyes water, bless him! :rolleyes: ;) ***)
    One thing I've noticed is that the mythology of waija that somehow being hit in the head lots will improve your "head's" ability to 'take' it - is rubbish. What happens is you get used to it psychologically and somewhat desensitized so you can 'take' it and keep going, but the internal damage is cumulative in the long-term and you waste brain cells with every hit - just like heading footballs and boxing for years on end - when you're young and feel immortal that's nothing - but it's a very different story when you're older and brain injured... :rolleyes:

You're always going to get hit in the head occasionally in training, but that should just serve to remind you to pay attention, work your reflexes and have a good guard. So, when you first take up the arts, get hit in the head a few times so you know what it feels like - but don't make a regular thing of it unless you want problems when you're older imho...

on the other hand....

If getting hit in the head really makes you a better boxer then can I recommend my special training regime illustrated below:

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
    (repeat daily until unconscious - then join Bullshido... ;) )

Happy Training
    :Angel:

9. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Good job your not doing a martial art or anything then.

Indeed

10. James R

James R New Member

I have to go with liokault and agree that the ability to take a head shot (or any shot) is of great value to a fighter (though not necessary for the competent dilettante). That said, I'm not sure that training it by taking lots of full contact head shots is too good - I don't want my taining to "fun" me up.

On the up side, taking a solid head shot is a great education - you learn stuff about yourself that could be worth the small degree of neurological damage (your brain will adapt to cope). The occasional solid head shot is probably the brain damage equivelent of a solid night drinking - though maybe not as much fun. This said, taking any solid head shot IMO is mild russian rulette (not quite same odds), cause you could get unlucky and be made vegetable.

J

11. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

After a point the amount of power put into a strike that hits you is out of your controle. Some people have the ability to take it, some dont. I think you can effect how much force you can take ( like boxers building neck muscle etc) but mostly, you either have it or you dont.

The above is still true no matter what gloves you wear. Some people can take a hit some can't. Past a certain point, no one can, but most punches are well within the range of our biological tolerance band

Ok, hands up all who have not wanted to punch TJB.

Nothing in the above, is news.

Yes, getting hit in the head long term causes damage. I have a friend who boxes, he used to compete with us in San Shou and the running joke is...He dropped San Shou because when he retires from 'fighting' he wants a title that his grand kids will remember, to which we reply - If you box long enough to win a title, by the time you have grand kids, you will not remember lol

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  12. Qasim

Qasim Valued Member

:rolleyes:
    I see that you at least understood my question about head shots. Why would you want to get hit when you can avoid it?

Liokault gives me the impression by his answer that he just stands there and takes shots instead of it redirecting or avoiding. Brain damage is not something one should strive to have.

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

This is actuly interesting.

How much damage can you take before you acumilate enough to have an effect?

Every day we lose brain cells. Drink, drugs and other things speed this up. What is the differance? If I don't drink, can I 'safely' take more hits?

14. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Probably not, but if this is your way of saying you take drugs every day, it could explain some of the tripe you come out with on here.

15. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Equally, it could explain your total belief in what I can only describe as a day dream of a martial art, and the resistance that you display toward reality.

I incidentally, do not take drugs, or even drink alcohol very often.

Also, dosen't your post count as a personal attack?

16. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Well, lets here your thorough description then. Lets here all about my "belief in a day dream of a martial art" (from you POV, of course). Lets here all about how, unless you roll around on the floor, or take part in kick boxing, you abilities in Taiji will be nothing.

Come on, you tell me exactly what your problem is. Tell me how your able to judge my methods of training, when you have not so much as met me in person, let alone trained in the method I have.

You're the one with a resistance to reality here, boy. The reality is, your "Wudang" taiji is nothing more that a scruffy form of kick boxing. Nothing you have said, nothing I have seen from the clips you have posted on the net could possibly lead me to believe you have the faintest understanding of the concept of taiji.

This is where you want to be.

17. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

The highlighted section is a creation of your own imagination. As I stated before, you have not trained with me, you have no idea of what my training is based around.

I'm honest about what I do. I'm in no way a pure Taiji guy. I'm a bigtime cross trainer. I have tested myself in different areas as possible.

Speaking of charlatan tcc instructors, you want to get in contact with yours about getting your money back. Or at least having the decency to tell his students what they are learning.

18. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

By all means, post a video clip of yourself not looking like a shabby kick boxer.

Until such time as you do, there is no point going further with this conversation as you seem determined to take it to a personal level which can only lead to getting the thread locked

19. fatb0y

fatb0y Valued Member

As to number 3. - martial arts are not really effective on 'Da Str33tz' because most bad boys are either going to use a weapon or will hunt in a pack and they all use the much underrated art of the sucker punch. A more effective art is to be 'aware' of your situation and to not get isolated in a bad place. That is unless of course you intend to become a bully boy in which case all MAs have some merit but the art of blind siding your opponent while your mate has his attention is king (the sucker punch). This method attains all desirable effects of

1)Unbalancing your opponent
    2)Disorienting your opponent
    3)Starting from a superior position
    4)Weakening your opponent
    while also having the bonus of
    5)Your mate can also wade in.

The only way you can train for it is your teacher holds you in conversation while your class mills around behind you then at some random point one of the class whacks you upside the head and everyone piles in on you.

However the value of this preparation is dubious.
    :rolleyes:

20. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

ok... You've actually got no experience in martial arts or fighting, have you? I mean to make a comment like that, you've got to be in some kind of loonie world...