TAGB stuff.

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Taliar, Feb 25, 2005.

1. JamesWMH

JamesWMH Kung Fu

hi everyone

just a few question, im about to start training at the TAGB club in swansea, and was wondering whether this is a good TAGB club, theres not much on the internet about it, the instructor is 2nd dan, which seems a little low to be teaching??? has anyone got any experience there???

Thanks

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Grade is no indication of teaching ability. The only way you'll find out is by paying a visit to the club in question. Although I'm a former member of the TAGB, I can vouch that they have strict standards when it comes to granting members a licence to teach.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Like VZ says, it's down to the individual, but you can bet that at the least they know the syllabus, have been through an Instructing course and have the support of senior Instructors around them.

I did when I started teaching as a 1st Dan.

Mitch

4. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

i am a 2nd but have more experience than the 4th dans in my club.

dan do not represent anything apart from a grading has been passed.

and, swansea? do you know the instructors name?

5. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Instructors grade isnt always a great indicator of their teaching ability. the same can be said for competition success. Theres lots of great competition fighters cant teach. A good instructor is someone who knows how to put acroos the techniques and requirements of the system, Somtimes a coaches technical ability can be quite crap but they understand how to coach and get acorss the requirements and can produce some excellent students.

6. JamesWMH

JamesWMH Kung Fu

Hi Jazzy Singh

I think that his name is John Hole, do you know him?

Ah right, i supose someone with a lower grade could get there technique acros better, but what i mean is that a 2nd dan, may not have been taught the finer points of the art, and the patterns etc, so wont be able to pass on that knowledge.

7. Mitch

Generally people don't withold information from coloured belts let alone Dan grades so I wouldn't worry about that.

Doubtless experience counts for a lot, which is sort of the point people were making - a 2nd Dan might have more time in the art than a 4th Dan.

Go and train with the chap, it's the best way to know for sure :)

Mitch

8. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

nope, i dont know him, but i wouldnt worry to much about his grade. I would go try it and see if you like it.

let us know how u get on - good luck

9. JamesWMH

JamesWMH Kung Fu

Thanks for the info, i'm going to a free first lesson tomorrow, i'll let people know how it goes.

Is there anything i should look out for that all TKD should do? or anyything that may be a bad sign?

Thanks

10. Darkfalcon

Darkfalcon The Falcon... who is dark

As Mitch said, generaly people don't withhold information from colored ranks, so if he is not straightforward with you and won't answer your questions, then it's a bad sign.
    Contracts are generaly bad too.

11. Mitch

It will depend on the Instructor and the lesson planned.

For the most part you might expect a good warm up, some linework (which you might do away from higher grades with a black belt of your own to help you), maybe an introduction to a pattern, some padwork, maybe some stretching.

Speaking for myself, I change lessons a lot. Tonight is the last lesson before a club grading so I may not do much of a warm up but move straight into patterns, set sparring then free sparring.

After the grading we may do a fitness session where we just do exercises, or we might do a self defence session where we pad up and work heavy contact self defence drills.

There is also the issue of what sort of background you have in MA. I have a couple of students who are adults with a background in Tang Soo Do and Kickboxing respectively. The things I will let them do, even as TKD white belts, are different from what I would let someone with no MA experience do.

From your point of view I would just relax and enjoy the experience, learn as much as possible and see where you are after a month or two. By then you'll have a better feel for the style of the Instructor and know whether the training is for you.

I know people like to do lots of research on arts these days before they train, perhaps thinking they can decide before training if it is for them, and some (not you) seem impatient to know everything immediately, but if you're going to train in an art long term, then a couple of months getting to know it are never wasted and a comparative minute spent taking a first taste from what will hopefully be a lifetime enjoying the flavour.

Enjoy! :)

Mitch

12. davetk1

davetk1 New Member

Clash Of The titans

Hope you all enjoy this, the best of the best from the T.A.G.B team at the recent clash of the titans.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAsAj_ff4c"]YouTube- Clash Of The Titans 2009 T.A.G.B[/ame]

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Was that Jimmy Watson in the first fight? That fella is awesome.

14. Mitch

Just to let everyone know that you should check out the latest Martial Arts Illustrated. There's a 6 page spread about the emphatic TAGB victory at the Clash of the Titans, Andy Deer on the front cover, and Master Oliver and Master Walton are inducted into the MAI Hall of Fame inside.

There is also an article about the WKA and how well they have done in World competitions recently. Doesn't seem to mention that they then got whupped by TAGB at the Clash :whistle:

Mitch :D

15. jazzysingh

jazzysingh Valued Member

and an interview with CK CHOI pretty good read

16. Mitch

I knew I forgot something :)

Mitch

17. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Jiimy Watson is good but id back Daryn Duncan over him any day

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

About time too :cool:

19. JamesWMH

JamesWMH Kung Fu

TAGB books

Hi everyone,

I've just started training in TKD and just a few questions about the TAGB.

1) How are the grading done within the TAGB?
    2) Are there any good books about the TAGB, not syllabus books, more of a history or about the philosophy?
    3) How much fitness is in the gradings? im 22stone and extremelly unfit, so i'd be a bit worried about the fitness parts.

Thanks

James

20. Mitch

Gradings are carried out by one of a handful of grading examiners within the org to ensure consistency. You will be called up and go through linework appropriate to your grade. You'll also be asked to go through your patterns and any set sparring required at that grade. You will also be asked to answer some theory questions eg names for techniques in Korean, theory behind movements etc. At your first grading you'll also be asked to do ten knuckle press ups assuming you're an adult.

There isn't a history of the TAGB as such, but if you want to know anything this is as good a place to ask as any, after your Instructor that is.

Gradings require effort and technique. Obviously they are easier if you are fit. The early gradings aren't too physically demanding however, so you have time to work on your fitness. Have you looked at your diet and exercise regime? The H&F section here on MAP has a ton of information, plus your Instructor should be able to help you out of course.

Hope that helps :)

Mitch