TAGB Competitions

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by stefthewise, Mar 6, 2006.

?

Are TAGB competition prices too high?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2008.
  1. Yes! They should be cheaper

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. No! Stop moaning!

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Neutral / Don't care

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. stefthewise

stefthewise (Modestly self-titled)

Hi guys -

Right.

TAGB competitions: £10 per event.

I'm not tight-fisted or anything, but this seems to me to be pretty steep!

Also: £7 for spectators? This is excessive, surely! Half the time there isn't even anywhere for them to sit!

I love taking part in competitions, and it's always nice to have some spectators to show support. My question is - why does it have to be so expensive??

Moan moan grumble grumble... :rolleyes:

2. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

wow, thats expensive!

on our ITA tournament we just had on saturday it was £16 for the whole event and spectators are free to watch.

3. C Mellis

C Mellis New Member

When I went to the South West Championships some of my mates went to watch. There was nowhere to sit, and the place was filled with small annoying kids! They are definitely way too pricey. Come to think of it everything about the TAGB is kinda pricey though.....

4. stefthewise

Yeah that's true - it's definitely not something for the financially deprived to have as a hobby, which is a great shame.

No wonder I'm skint all the time.... ;)

5. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

how much are your gradings? My house mate is TAGB also

6. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

I think you'll find £10 is about the usual price, I compete in a lot of tournament circuits Tae Kwon Do ones such as GTI, WMST and AIMAA and open circuits like WUMA and CIMAC. The price for all of them is between £10 - £15. You will be pushed to find a tournament, with the exception of maybe small interclub comps, that are cheaper then that.

7. C Mellis

C Mellis New Member

I pay £30 a month in membership, nearly £200 for equipment and large amounts for licences and grading. Even my instructor believes that everything costs too much. Its mad. I know several people who have been put off TKD by the cost.

8. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Tournament are in many cases a way to make money for the host. Generally ones I have entered before have been £5-7 per category. Occassionally there is a spectator fee of 50p.

So I do think the TAGB ones are too much.

I'm going to be interested to see what Mitch thinks...

9. stefthewise

Totally.

Thank god for Ebay...

10. stefthewise

I think they're £25.

Which reminds me... I owe my instructor £25 for my next grading, £10-20 for the upcoming English Championships, AND £30 training fees - all in the next couple of weeks! :cry:

11. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

I think that given when i first competed in a TAGB comp in 1987 it was £7 per category and now almost 20 years later it has only risen to £10 per event its not realy that expensive now is it?
    But i suppose the entry fee only becomes an issue when people dont win a medal(LOL)
    It is very expensive to host a competition
    hall costs run into several hundred pounds, then theres insurance, paramedics, and medals to boot.
    Associations must make money to be able to host further competitions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  12. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

Can I ask what competitions you've entered, because I like I said I enter a lot of competitions and I have never found any as cheep as that, GTI are £15 per category, WMST are £10, WUMA is £15, CIMAC is £15 and the AIMAA world champs were £30.
    I have been competition in tournaments since I was 6 years old (I am now 20), not just with the associations named above but others as well, and I can't remember ever going to tournament that cost less the £10.

13. stefthewise

Firstly, at the last British Championships, my team mates got quite a few trophies between them, and before they had even got them into their kit bags they were falling apart - the TAGB obviously hadn't invested a lot of money in them!

Secondly, with the cost of the TAGB doboks, TAGB sparring gear, gradings and the rest, I don't think they're exactly short on funds!

14. TheMadhoose

I am not deabating that the TAGB dont make alot of money but there no more or less expensive than 99% of the other orgs.Nobody holds a gun to your head for your money if you werent happy im sure you wouldnt pay it.

15. stefthewise

True enough... I may moan about the prices, but at the end of the day I just love doing it :D

I just think it's a shame that some people will be put off by the prices being too high. And I think the TAGB could lower those prices without bankrupting themselves in the process...

16. TheMadhoose

Yeah i totaly agree that 3 pounds higher than 1987 prices is a downright disgrace how can those men on the commitee sleep at night.

17. richt_uk

richt_uk Valued Member

I remember it being £7 for the first event, and then £3 for each event after that. I may be wrong though...

The one gripe I ever had about the TAGB competitions were the venues.

18. Gould

Gould Valued Member

Personally when you look at the quality of the organistion of a TAGB tournament I think that £10 per event is value for money, You go to other competitions of much smaller size and what you get is nowhere near what the TAGB offer.

The only thing I can agree with you is if you enter more than 1 event then possibly they could do bit of a deal

On the whole as Madhoose mentioned if you don't like the prices don't go.

19. NW tae Kwon Do

NW tae Kwon Do New Member

im not sure what the exchange rate is but local tournaments in the US for WTF they range from 55 -60 dollars just to sparr... i find that steep... for U.S. OPEN i paid $100 just to spar... but this is america...

20. 2sweet

2sweet Valued Member

It was £8.00 per event for the first two & the 3rd one free.

Like some of the others mentioned, no one holds a gun to your head, if you don't like the cost then you are free to go somewhere else!

For what you get from Martial arts training IMOP I don't really think you can moan at £30.00 per month fees + a few extras.
    Gyms charge a lot more & you don't normally tend to get much if any tuition, its also quite normal for a personal trainer to charge anything from £20+ & over, per hr!

£35.00 for a Dobok that will last you for years, all the way to black belt, last time I heard its £40 just for a football shirt that they change the design of every yr!