Taekwondo to Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by littlebadboy, Sep 3, 2007.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

Hi everyone! I have spent some considerable years with TKD already. I recently tried out Muay Thai and fell in love with it. All the apprehensions, hesitations and ideas that I thought TKD should do were all addressed to in Muay Thai.

Because of my many years in TKD, I'd like to ask if there are any converters like me in the board? I need some tips. There are some TKD habits i may need to take off and stuff.

Does Muay Thai also have turning back kicks, turning hook kicks, turning roundhouse kicks and jumping versions of it? Like I said, the habit might come up. I don't see much of these in the matches I have seen. Is it ok if suddenly one of 'em pops up during sparring or a match? Would I suddenly be called out and shouted at "Hey that's not Muay! Stick to it!"

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

If you can land a kick with full contact you can use it.

3. Webdunk

Webdunk Muay Thai Diary

I came to MT from Tukido which is similar to TKD. While you can throw any kick you want in MT once you get competitive the flashier kicks are just too risky unless your opponent is already significantly weakened.

Get your instructor to take you through some of the defenses and counters for any kick that involves turning your back and you'll soon think twice about throwing them against a skilled opponent.

That said, there's nothing quite like landing a turning back kick :p and occassionally a less 'thai' techique can surprise your opponent and allow you to follow up strongly - I landed a twisting kick in my most recent fight which surprised both the guy I was fighting and his experienced corner; I'm told the noise cut right through the hall. Still waiting to see the vid...

4. kurupzion

kurupzion Valued Member

so true.
    you have to remember all the techniques you have mentioned are in muay thai.But there are reasons you dont see them that often.My thai triner told me put it this way.in thailand in the ring is our job and way they earn for living/food etc.if it doesnt work well they wont spend time using it as it will lose them more fights.they practice and use techniques that work well do damage-NOT POINTS to stop the other guy.spinning kck take up a lot of energy,are easily telegraphed more so dont connect often and able to counter easily so get hit with it.

icame from a boxing background and another muaythai background which gave me bad habits.i have had to relearn techniques and am constantly reminded to do them the proper way when sparring,pads,bags etc.only way.