Tactical Hapkido?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by folks, Nov 23, 2007.

1. folks

folks Valued Member

2. BSR

BSR Valued Member

I've never heard of Tactical Hapkido, but it's not the same as Combat Hapkido as it's a different organization.

I usually don't think it's a good idea to base my judgment on a particular school or organization simply from looking at their website. However, a red flag for me is when I see white, not-quite-middle-aged, grandmasters promoting a system that they created. :(

Of course, the best thing to do would be to simply check out a class for yourself.

3. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Honestly? From the vid it looks terrible. Completely dead unrealistic training.

4. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  5. BSR

BSR Valued Member

Okay, I didn't see the videos the first time. They aren't very flattering.

6. folks

folks Valued Member

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't sure if tactical hapkido was affiliated with traditional hapkido but it's obviusly not! I'm trying to find something reasonably close to my house. I've competed in amatuer strongman for the last five years and am looking to try something else. I've found a Kuk Sool Won, aikido, BJJ, and TKD facilities close by. Obviously, I have no expereince in any martial art form but am looking for something that will help with strength and flexibility but still has some practical applications. I was on the bullshido.com website and their opinion of Kuk Sool Won wasn't very high.
    I've been researching the various forms and I liked the Hapkido. However the aformentioned place was the only one within 45 minutes if my house.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  7. BSR

BSR Valued Member

Unfortunately, many at Bullshido will knock just about any style that isn't designed for use in MMA/NHB fighting. :rolleyes:

If your main goals are acquiring strength and flexibility with some self-defense to go with it, then a KSW or TKD school might be for you as long as they do place some emphasis on live training/sparring.

I'd say check out the KSW place for yourself since it's the closest to your home and make a decision from there.

8. JimH

JimH Valued Member

The people running this school have supposedly had what is termed Traditional Hapkido training and ranking.
    They did operate at one time as a Combat Hapkido affiliate.

The founder of the Tactical Hapkido Alliance is Barry Rodemaker,who used to be a master Level Instructor in Hapkido/Combat Hapkido and TKD.

He left the ICHF/Combat Hapkido many yeras ago to try to develop his own organization.
    (a christian based Hapkido/TKD organization)

Now Barry has found another hapkido GM ,Korean,who has promoted him,Barry, to GM.

Barry was a good technician and very skilled in Hapkido and TKD.

I do not know the Instructor of the school posted,nor his/their skill level.

The video clip is very static and I hope not reflection of the true training.

9. hollywood1340

hollywood1340 Valued Member

Can't think of the last time I was attacked while in Joon Bi stance....

10. lonewarror

lonewarror New Member

Have you thought about Hoi Jeon Moo Sool,or even one of the Tai-Chi forms,Martial arts of any kind should be tried out to see which one is for you. I'm a competive weight lifter 56yr old and enjoy Yang style Tai-Chi,& black belt Hoi Jeon Moo Sool but thats me but shop around my first classes where free Martial arts of any kind is a life style. Good Luck, Lonewarror in Tx.

11. folks

folks Valued Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out a Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu place this week.

12. JSun

JSun Valued Member

I've been studying kuk sool for three years and I've the used the techniques I learned in class on more than one occasion to great effect. The forms are great cardio and your flexibility will certainly improve if you attend class regularly. It is a classical system, so the learning curve is a long. There is a strong emphasis placed on etiquette and disipline. I'd say I'm happy with the Kuk Sool Won as an organization, but it is an organization that markets itself as teaching a family martial art, so if you expect every black belt to be some hell-awful bad-ass, you're probably going to be disappointed, although I know some practitioners I wouldn't want to tangle with.

13. donb

donb restless spirit

just FYI, the background drawing of the website was taken from the book Aikido - the dynamic sphere, so this may answer your question about this form.

14. Hapki-jutsu

Hapki-jutsu Valued Member

i talked to Barry a few times via email, and as far as i can tell, it is just self defense, not a martial art.
    it was a long time ago, but i think he told me there are only like 10 techniques per belt level. no basics, no kicks or drills as such, pretty much just a group of self defense techniques.

but i dont know him or his art so i cant comment about the techniques. in my experience most of these guys teach the same ol' rehashed self defense that most of us already know and consider pretty basic. but do not teach basics, principles or concepts so you actually learn the art, and understand what it is that makes hapkido hapkido and not jujutsu, even though the arts share many similarities. the self defense techniques could be either/or/both/neither...

just my opinion based on my experience

15. GreenDragonHKD

GreenDragonHKD New Member

typical

I checked out the site and video....I have never heard of the orgs. that he has his rank from.....the video made me want to crap on myself from laughing.......if those are the techniques of an 8th dan hapkido grandmaster then someone must of put LSD in my tea this morning!!! Typical...used to be an ICHF guy....no offense to the ICHF guys on here take it for what it is....and now is an 8th dan in his new creation of HKD??? Typical....now if we could just get some new T-shirts our HKD mission will be complete..... :rolleyes:
    Michael Tomlinson
    3rd Dan Moo Ye Kwan Hapkido
    3rd Dan Korea Hapkido Association
    5th Dan Sin Moo Hapkido

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  16. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

Tactical Hapkido and Grand Master Barry Rodemaker’s Background

For all to view:

Certified Ranks:

7th Dan Tae Kwon Do – International Black Belt Organization
    6th Dan Tang Soo Do - National Tang Soo Do Federation
    8th Dan Ching Sai Do (Christian Martial Arts) – B.B.F.I.
    8th Dan Hapkido – World Korean Martial Arts Union received personally from Supreme Grandmaster Chang H. Park himself
    8th Dan - International Supreme Elite Warrior's Council
    8th Dan - Universal Song Do Kwan Alliance

International Recognition:

1. Founder Recognition of Tactical Hapkido- I.B.B.O.
    2. Grand Master Certification – I.B.B.O.
    3. Founder and President of the Tactical Hapkido Alliance
    4. Founder and Senior Director of the World Soke-Dojunim Council
    5. Founder and President of the Universal Taekwondo Alliance
    6. Dojunim Certification - International Supreme Elite Warrior's Council

Awards / Recognitions:

1. Master of the Year World Head of Family Sokeship Hall of Fame Sept. 1997
    2. Master of the Year Martial Arts Masters, Pioneers & Legends Hall of Fame May 1998
    3. Outstanding Master Instructor United Martial Arts Assoc. Hall of Fame July 1999
    4. Dedication to the Martial Arts Action Martial Arts Magazine Hall of Fame 2001
    5. Life Achievement Award World Christian Martial Arts Hall of Fame April 2001
    6. School of the Year World Wide Martial Arts Hall of Fame June 2002
    7. Board of Directors World Wide Martial Arts Hall of Fame 2002
    8. Outstanding Organization of the Year World Karate Union Hall of Fame 2003
    9. Organization of the Year World Wide Martial Arts Hall of Fame June 2005
    10. Hapkido Man of Honor International Hall of Honor / Hall of Champions Nov. 2005
    11. Grandmaster Warrior of Honor International Hall of Honor / Hall of Champions Nov. 2006
    12. Superior Distinguished Martial Arts Award of Honor International Hall of Honor / Hall of Champions Nov. 2007
    13. Supreme Elite Prestige of Honor International Hall of Honor / Hall of Champions Nov. 2008

While in Taegue South Korea (birth place of Hapkido) he partook in training in a seminar setting with Prof. Suh Bok Sup Choi, Yong Sool’s first student and was present at a ceremony where the South Korean Government Made Prof. Bok a living Legend .

He has over 16 charter member schools teaching his curriculum and countless numbers of individual members, check out the schools yourself for one closest to you,
    http://www.batchgeocode.com/map/?i=ab6c5dcbd32c3f2d6511745d41314d3f

And you can see a real video at http://mogulsinc.com channel 6 under Tactical Hapkido and hear the words yourself, the videos that you seen before were rough cuts just placed on the site .

The film producer of the series Best Defense personally asked for Grandmaster Rodemaker to come in and film it.

In addition you can view the wikipedia article about Tactical Hapkido for more information. At
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_hapkido

17. Coges

Coges Valued Member

I'm surprised you posted the link to that video (the real video) again after the response it got in the other thread.

I wouldn't be promoting it. It looks sloppy and the kicks are just plain awful.

With only two posts and a lot to be said about this Barry Rodemaker I seems like you might have somewhat of an agenda.

18. klaasb

klaasb ....

I looked at the mogulinc video, but didn't see any hapkido. :confused:

You saw Suh Buk Sup being promoted to living legend,...what does that make you?
    (does that title even exist in Korea? There is the 'intangible living cultural asset' recognition, but I don't think Suh ever received that one)

Tried to look up 'World Korean Martial Arts Union' didn't find anything.

Now my big questions is: I need all the time I have to keep my skills up2date at the level I am at (ie. 4th dan) and struggle to find time to upgrade to 5th (if I ever get that far). Where do you get the time to keep your skills up2date for all the 8th dans you have? Do you travel back in time around 23:59 PM and start the day over again?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  19. tmartialaa

tmartialaa Valued Member

Yes I think the video was entertaining, insightful and informative and I wanted to let others know about this video. So if that is an agenda, then I guess I must have one.

If you type Hapkido in any video site you get some Korean teenie bobbers doing some weird form gymnastics or some Neanderthals beating each other up. It was Kinda of nice to see someone actually explain the tactical aspects of Hapkido in a self-defense environment.

It is amazing, I looked further into the host of the show Best Defense and he is legally blind!
    I guess that other guy was just holding back, but I don't care, I found the content of the video more insightful.

Second as I researched into this Tactical Hapkido, I felt like this blog, that I found, needed some real information that I came across so I placed in it so people could save time and find the information they needed.

Oh ya, I looked into the 'World Korean Martial Arts Union' here is their link:
    http://rogerhaines.org/page1/page1.html

I guess you didn’t look too hard, I found it with in seconds, they under The National Tang Soo Do Federation. They have had numerous articles in Black Belt Magazine, Martial Arts Illustrated, Tae Kwon Do Times among others.

As for the training it sound like your instructor is raping you with tuitions fees and sorry to hear that, but I’m not Grandmaster Rodemaker, I’m just some guy who found something interesting on the internet maybe you should call him and find out about his skills.

20. iron_ox

iron_ox Jungki Kwan Midwest

OK, so are you Mr. Ziots? The "Tactical Hapkido" instructor from Ohio? Funny how the same name you use is also used by the "Tactical Martial Arts Academy" - (www.tmartialaa.com) teaching Tactical Hapkido - so maybe you do have an agenda?

So are you really just "some guy" - hmmmmm.