Surviving Knife Attack

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Paul Genge, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

In that case, it wouldn't be too hard to support that claim with some evidence... right ???

2. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Not a big fan of the self-rah-rah promotion, but since you asked: I hold a trainer's certificate in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali, Level III Certification from the US Army Combatives School, a Force Training Division Instructor Certificate for Knife Defenses from Krav Maga, Instructor Certifications in PPCT DT & SHARPS, ASP Instructor Certification, IPDTI Instructor License, and Dan rankings in Jujitsu and Tang Soo Do. I currently teach two different defensive tactics programs full-time for the Air Force and have been selected to participate in the process of re-writing the entire DT program for the Air Force's equivelent of the Air Marshal program. While there are many people out there far more talented and qualified than I am, I humbly submit that I think I've earned the right to offer what I consider to be an informed opinion on the subject.

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Welcome aboard DC!

Er I wish I knew what half those Acronyms stood for :D

What style of Jujitsu do you study?

Have you done any Systema training in the past? I’m just wondering how familiar you are with it?

4. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Nice qualifications...

Video please.

Paul Genge

5. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Mr H,

This article has footage including using strikes against knife attack. The uke in it stated after we shot it that he was trying his hardest to stick me.

Hope this helps.

Paul Genge

6. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

Lets see....PPCT, Pressure Piont Control Tactics.....and IPDTI, International Police Defense Tactics Institute, right?

So, I'd guess your either in Europe or Chicago.

DCombatives, I notice you've trained in two systems that emphasize the open hand slap, IPDTI and PTK. Perhaps on another thread would you be willing to share your experiance with open hand slapping methods and a comparison between the two?

Thanks.

7. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Some how I think we will never see video footage showing this mans obvious great levels of martial skill. Pity.

Paul Genge

8. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

Why don't you respond to his criticism or ask him to expand on them, instead of moaning about how not everyone has access to a digital camera and webhosting, unlike you.
    Who knows, maybe you're just shooting down a valuable resource.

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't find it on here.

There is a link to video clips on the left that takes you to:
    http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk/page43.html

And on that page there's a paragraph that says:

"Please click here for an article on surviving knife attacks that has video of some of the training drills and methods used in this work."

But the embedded link doesn't work.

10. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

The link to the page with the clip is here.

I have checked the clip and it is working.

Paul Genge

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

12. stormtrooper

stormtrooper New Member

Hi PAUL ,
    im currently training at the "white lotus wing chun " school in london,and sifu has put a few video clips on the web site.These are targeted and practiced with /for beginners.However you seem to have come up against the same sort of criticism that he did.If you post a vid on this forum two things happen.
    A].people will rip it apart
    B].people claim they[or there teacher]can do it better.
    I agree with you paul ,why dont THEY post there stuff on here.Again i will say that you should go to a school to judge it ,you cant judge a teacher from a few video clips.Good luck paul.

13. Lanakin

Lanakin It's all about discipline

Uhhh.. That whole defense against kicks clip is bullcrap. I'm sure the other guy wouldn't just lie down. Obviously.. "Heyyyyyy guyyy i'mmmm goinggg to keeeeicck yoo.. RAAAAAA... Sleepy time. ZzZzZzZzZz

:woo:

14. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

ok here we go! :bang: :bang:

I take it you have a full understanding of Systema training and it's principles and the context of those clips? no? my god isn't that a surprise :rolleyes:

hmm it's a bit like me watching a TKD match and coming out with "oh well all the art has is kicks, it's a bit limited" but then you wouldn't get me doing that as I appreciate that when you look at any art in a casual manner then you only see the surface and don't see the essence and the "driving force", if you will, that is behind it . Also just at a casual glance you're only seeing a very small fraction of the art.

So in saying TKD only has kicks I'm obviously basing my assessment on very limited exposure because as you know there's more to TKD than kicks ;)

so instead of coming out with "that clip's bullcrap" which is a really insightful response and I'm sure took you a while to come up with it :rolleyes:

Why not ask some intelligent questions about the clips and the idea behind them and how they fit in with general Systema training. That way you might not come off as sounding like an ignorant 16 year old kid which I'm sure you're not....are you ???

:bang: :bang:

15. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

What kind of genre does the music (presented in the clips) belong to?

16. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Music from my collection. Sorry for my taste or lack of it...., but what does this have to do with a thread on surving knife attack?

Paul Genge

17. MMA PHIL

MMA PHIL New Member

What the hell??

Please..... what is this?

I've looked at a few clips and they are quite unbearable whats with this guy's attitude? In 'Kick defence' he is in a static posture (hands at his waist) which is normal, but then after the guy has thrown his kick the defender does not raise his guard leaving him wide open! One or two kicks are ok in this but the defender puts his hands on the attackers head to turn him of balance, yeah like he's going to let you do that! I know it's performed at a slow pace for training and demonstration purposes but come on, one little push and the guy's fallen over? I've watched it 4 times and see little of practical MA other than a bit of footwork and foot traps and using balance against the attacker but theres no focus or proper attack thats very sloppy at best, I mean who attacks using their foot with their arm trailing behind them like a baboon? :confused: And Learning to strike?? What on earth!! Who punches like that?? Why does he mess with his nose after every punch in the first part? DISIPLINE. The guy punches slow with a push and the guy does a 360 Whats all that about? I've punched an attacker many times and they do not do 360's they either come back for more or go down. Whats with the other guy doing a vertical break dance thats meant to be some kind of warm up half way through? And that guy wrapping his knuckles on the attacker??? Knife fighting is ok but the counters are diabolical. Returning punches? What a joke it looks like a play ground game, come on who punches like that??

This is sloppy at best lads, in fact I'm worried that this is actually going on in the North West. It seems unprofessional but really just look at the clips, only two kicks are of any use in the clips I seen, I'd rather throw 5 good kicks rather than 100 useless ones.

And I'm being nice too :)
    Please lads show me some more clips because I feel that maybe you can offer some real practical techiniques and not the garbage I've seen here.

I'm most interested in the weapon techiniques if you've have them, I'm not bashing your style but the unprofessionism of the clips, if you have better, post them! I'll have a look, I'm still interested. ;)

Phil. :)

18. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

Sorry, I just loved the music. I liked it so much I had to ask.

19. Captain Kebab

Captain Kebab New Member

Okay, I've been lurking for a while on this thread, and on others attached to articles Paul Genge has posted, I've had a read of his website and watched all the videos, and thought, "how can that work?" And I've seen a lot of people who, like me, don't know anything of the art drawing that same conclusion and posting that basically, they think it can't work.

So I did what you might think is the obvious thing, I went along to find out for myself.

For the record, and before I am asked, I've been studying martial arts since 1973. My core art is karate, I've dabbled in various styles but the basic stuff is around 6 years of Goju Ryu and around 20 years of Shotokan, although the karate I practise now would probably not be recognised as Shotokan by most mainstream karateka, we've tried to research our roots and we have moved away from long stances and everything being done at long range, and recently we've been interested in the work Ian Arbenethy is doing. I've also done a little (I do mean a little) aikido and judo, and even littler bit of Hsing I and I recently had a couple of years or so studying Chen Man Ching style Tai Chi.

I went with my mate and training partner who has a little more experience then myself - he has done most of what I've done, apart from the Goju, but he's trained in Shotokan longer, trained rather more judo, and has also done some Muay Thai, along with other bits and bobs I don't recall.

So we aren't beginners, and if Paul was unable to walk the walk, we'd know. I emailed Paul a couple of weeks back (didn't tell him anything about our background) and we went for our first session tonight.

I can't speak for the knife defences per se, because we didn't do any, but what I can tell you is this - first of all, Paul made us very welcome, and secondly it is clear from our very brief experience training with him that Systema has something different to offer. I'm not going to attempt to describe what went on in the lesson, but I will say this.

Although we didn't do anything particularly quickly - it was our first lesson, we may be experienced martial artists but we are complete beginners in Systema and it would have been preposterous to do so. But we did enough to convince us that Systema has merits that are worth pursuing. Paul worked quite a lot directly with me - I didn't try to be awkward in any way, but nor was I particularly compliant, and what he did worked, and worked effectively, and I formed the definite vew that had I 'gone for it,' as it were, he could have applied what he was demonstrating at combat speed.

I also noted that two of Paul's students that I practised with - I don't know how experienced they are - could also make it work, so it's not one of those classes where only the teacher can do the stuff.

Overall, we were both impressed with this first experience. Neither of us have any previous knowledge of Systema, beyond what's on the website, and neither of us have any connection with anybody who has practised it. Oh, and I might add that it was a good work out, with some very minor bumps and bruises which were entirely due to my inexperience and I expect to feel a bit sore tomorrow, in a good way!

So my advice if you think it doesn't stack up would be to get down to a class and check it out for yourself. If you're in or near Manchester, I can vouch that you'll be made welcome at Paul's class, and you can make your own mind up. From what I've seen so far, you can expect to meet me there too.

Mick :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  20. Captain Kebab

Captain Kebab New Member

Oh, and a further point. I didn't see how you can possibly put somebody down with a little "stroke" like that. Now I do. I can't do it, but I've had it done to me. Most disconcerting.