Super Typhoon Hagupit - wish us luck

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Dec 4, 2014.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Veteran of 5 major U.S. Hurricanes here slippy! Batten down the hatches chum. Batterries, water, a way to cook, and a way to keep stuff cold (3 kilos of dry ice in the bottom of a fridge will keep food for days). Prayers that this storm is all growl and little bite. :pirate: :pirate: :pirate:

2. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

All the best Slip. Wondered where you had gone.

Stay dry. Glad we don't get this in O'l blighty. Thoughts are with the poor souls who have little shelter from this, cruel world we live in.

Prepare than pray, not the other way round through...

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

When Yolanda hit we had a water spout/tornado that came in off the water and ripped off the roof of a soundstage. Big enough hole to drive a truck though. Not good that. Same week we had a 6.8 earthquake that dropped a bunch of buildings and got people killed as they ran in panic into the streets - kid was trampled to death by adults. Very sad. It ruined some of the famous chocolate hills of Bohol. I still have cracks in the kitchen and bathroom walls from that. Ugh.

Funny enough someone is on it... the local Rum company has their trucks driving through the neighborhood with their root mounted speakers blaring their jingle. ^^ They must be doing a swift business!

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I was caught up in Typhoon Pearl when I was living in Guangdong. A Typhoon is a scary force of nature!

Good luck riding out the storm. Hope to hear back from you within a couple of days to know you are safe.

5. slipthejab

Thanks fellas... I think we might be getting a break... according to some of the international weather services... the storm might not really slam us but will probably dump a lot of water on metro Manila... which will flood like crazy of course.

@Unreal Combat - yes mate they are definitely crazy to go through!

Attached Files:

6. slipthejab

@nascarge
    yes... headlamps, batteries and tools. Dry ice is a no go here. Too hi-tech for the place. One thing that seems to be a big problem here is trees and branches falling and taking down power lines and trapping people in places. Watching the local guys jump into all the debree to remove it is insane. They literally have no idea what if power lines are hot or not. Just defies belief.

During Yolanda I saw a city sanitation truck hit a downed concrete power pole that it couldn't see because:

A) they were driving too fast
    B) it was ****ing rain
    C) it was parallel in the middle of the road

So by the time they saw it they were hitting it... it exploded sending chunks of concrete every which way. How they didn't get killed I'll never know. Anyone stood by the roadside would have been mauled by shrapnel. What saved them was that the cab rode up so high... a normal car it would have skewered. Ugh. The all looked out the window and then kept right on going. Jeebus.

7. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

Hey, Slip...

You a fellow pinoy or an expat? Anyways, Take care down there, here in metro manila, we'll see submarines.

I need a crash course in scuba diving... :cry:

For the south philipines it's yolanda, for luzon it's ondoy...

Philippines... where horses drown... :evil:

8. slipthejab

@Babycart - No not Pinoy. Just soaking up all the Tanduay and lechon that I can in order to forget myself ^^ and then add a few natural disasters thrown in for good measure. Yeah man Manila gets socked with flooding. It's too bad.

9. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

10. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Whats your status Slip, my thoughts and prayers were with you today, tell us something new if you can.

Does anyone know Slips current situation?

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Good luck Slip. Hopefully, the impact will be minimal where you're at.

12. slipthejab

Checking in and all is good. No major damage that I heard of here in Cebu. Gale forces winds were about the worst of it. We got about 24 hours of rain and that was about it. Even my favorite street dog 'chaka' stayed tail wagging through the whole thing.

The typhoon lessened and made landfall further north... it wrecked a bit of stuff in Tacloban which got absolutely flattened last time. But this time it was minor by comparison... it's heading towards Bicol and Masbate now... I suspect it'll dump lots of water on Manila.

But thanks for the concern all... seems the worst of it is over. One down and how many more to go this typhoon season? :p

13. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

YEA ALRIGHT!!!!!!:D

14. Quest Training

Quest Training New Member

15. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

Not much here in manila, slip.

Many referred to the typhoon as a "killjoy".

16. slipthejab

Yeah I'll take the killjoy and day over something that left 6,000+ dead and thousands missing like Yolanda did when it rolled through. It absolutely battered us up this way. Tacloban was flattend so was Samar and Leyte and Bantayan. Very very sad.