Summer camps (+video)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Gizmo, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

I wonder how many of you participate in summer training camps, and how do they look like. How many days? With your own instructors or do you invite guests from other clubs, or maybe from abroad? What do you mainly train during camps?

In our school it's usually 10 days training in some nice location (this year - Polish mountains), with foreign instructors. We do all kinds of stuff like grappling, acrobatics, Capoeira, but also TKD and HKD. And we just have lots of fun...

The video from this year's summer camp is available here:

Summer Camp 2005 (23 MB, DivX, 6:50 mins)

It features Master Kytu Dang 7th Dan, Master Pyo Rak Sun 7th Dan, Double Dragon Team members and of course our buddy Lukasz "Juras" Jurkowski. Plus some fighting footage from a friendly TKD vs local Kick-Boxing match we had during the camp.

Regards

Gizmo

2. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

We have a yearly weekend summer camp. In fact it's on friday. :cool:

Consists of 3, 2-3 hour training sessions over friday, saturday and sunday.
    Saturday is an 'official lesson normally with a senior instructor, this year I believe it is Mr Kenny Walton 7th Dan.

The other lessons are alot more freestyle and may consist anything, from self defense, weapons, pressure points, grappling to team games, or a 'open rumble' sparring session.

The camps held on a holiday camp, there's a pool a couple of bars and a disco, and its worth going just to see some of the instructors attempt to strut their stuff on the dance floor, and there's always a good party back at a chalet after the bars close. Needless to say some people are a bit slow on their feet on saturday and sunday mornings. However the social side is just as important as the training.

3. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

its not really a summer camp if its friday?? meh. anyway
    our intructors always talk about summer camps but we never get round to doing them :(

4. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Ok - Autumn camp. :D

Make you instructors do one - there great, a whole weekend of training and hanging out with your TKD mates.

If not come to ours next year.

5. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

I was told it was Mr Ron Sergiew mate but whoever it is i don't mind.

btw i've got my beer,cool box and apple vodka and red bull for this weekend. It's gonna be a good one!! :D

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Oi, funkymonk! You forgot your dobok!
    *Watches funkymony happily disappear into the distance with his coolbox*
    Ah well, he's gone. :p :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  7. julesgrant22

julesgrant22 New Member

I went to summer camp once in France. Most of the training was at the Centre itself but they went off during the morning to the beach.
    They wanted me to stay the whole week but unfortunately I came home.

8. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

LOL!! You don't know how true a statement that is Another TKD Guy i forgot my dobok at the British last year and had to borrow doboks which were too big for me. I looked like Dopey out of Snow White and the seven dwarfs!! I'll never forget my dobok again though ;)

9. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

Now that would be cool to get a few TAGB people from MAP to come next year. Dragon 2020 are you going this year cos i know that you train with Mr Saunders and he organises it? :)

10. Gizmo

Gizmo Valued Member

What are the usual participation fees for your camps (and for how many days)?

Gizmo

11. funkymonk

funkymonk Valued Member

This years summer camp is costing £50 for 3 nights accomodation and 3 two hour training sessions with various instructors from 3rd to 7th degree. (Beer money is not included in the price) :D