stupid question: belts

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by abby, Jan 17, 2004.

1. abby

abby New Member

what are all the belts in tae kwon do? i've looked on the internet and found tons of different ones, what is the standard? for solid belts and stripes. thanks!

2. taifun

taifun Valued Member

The standard is, there is no standard...

Seems like every organisation has their own standard. As far as I know, the WTF don't even bother with setting a standard for colour belts, leaving it up to the individual school.

Most ITF-style schools use a variation of the following: white - yellow tag- yellow -green tag - green - blue tag - blue - red tag - red - black tag(s) - black

Assorted other colours I've seen: orange, purple, brown, camouflage(!), pink(!!)

In the end, does it really matter? You can't compare individual students by belt colour anyway, the differences between students, instructors, schools, organisations and curriculum are way too big.

3. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i study the wtf for tkd of course and my belt system goes as follows:

white, yellow, orange, green <~ME! ( white uniform)
    purple, blue, brown, senior brown ( blue uniform)
    red, senior red, junior deputy, senior deputy (red uniform)
    BLACK BELT! (*BLACK BELT UNIFROM*)

4. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

What belt are junior and senior deputy?

5. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

junior deputy= black down the center and red on both sides. kinda hard to explain lol

senior deputy= red down one side of belt and black down the other side.

6. Ara

Ara New Member

www.itf-information.com

very informative site regarding ITF tae kwon do - go to the 'Information' section and there are sub sections covering belt systems, ranking systems. The site also shows all 24 ITF patterns in detail and other terminology.. i use it alot! For WTF you're going to have to have someone else recommend a site, i dont know any :s

7. abby

abby New Member

oks, thanks!

(i was asking because i went and watched a class. i could pretty much tell which belts in the class were higher by their skill level, but was curious where they were on the entire scale of things.)

8. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Only standard I know of is white first and black last.

Gets confusing in tournaments because you can only kick to the head if you are 1 belt lower than black, and sometimes that's brown, and sometimes red.

In my dojang all the belts lined up in order on the wall, to tell who's higher.

PL

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

10. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

the number of belts can also be a good indicator if the school is a McDojang. A good friend of mine was attending a dojang that had 3 tiers to each color belt, low color, color, high color. They used a 10 color system before black which is 30 belts. With mandatory tests every 2 or 3 months.

11. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

30 belts??? ha ha ha woooow

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

yeah, I tried to warn my friend but he was so wrapped up in it... It took him a year and a substantial amount of money to realize what happened.

13. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I didn't even know 10 colors existed... :eek:

PL

14. Lippy

Lippy New Member

Hey abbey, generally in WTF taekwondo the belts go white,yellow,green,blue,red then black. There's a tag stage inbetween each belt too.
    A minimum of 3 months and loads of training have to be done inbetween each grading too. This is the UK way and I think it's fairly standardised. WTF anyway...

15. WorldChampTKD

WorldChampTKD New Member

at my TKD we have:

white
    yellow
    yellow w/blk stripe
    green
    green w/ blk stripe
    blue
    blue w/ blk stripe
    red
    red w/ blk stripe
    black

16. rntnt

rntnt New Member

I do not think there is a standard.I have visited 5 schools other than ours adn each one had a different belt ranking.Our School Goes
    White
    Yellow
    Orange
    Green
    Purple
    Light Blue
    Dark Blue
    Red
    Brown
    Dan Bo
    Black

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Ours goes white, yellow, orange, purple, green, blue, brown, red, black. Starting from green, you need to have stripes on your belt before you can advance to next one. How many varies.

PL

18. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

white, yellow, green, blue, brown, red, black, with a stripe in between each one.

Is mine the only WTF school with a brown belt?

19. oddTKD

oddTKD Valued Member

I used to train at a school that wasn't officially affiliated, but pretty much followed WTF curriculum, etc. Our belts were: (no belt), white, yellow, green, blue, purple, red, brown, brown w/ stripe, black.

I *just* switched to a different school, which is ITF, and the difference in belt order is driving me crazy. It's now white, orange, green, purple, blue, brown, red. Those last four keep getting me all confused.

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

I said mine does. :)

PL