Stupid illegal weapons rules

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nzric, Dec 5, 2003.

1. jjmac

jjmac New Member

i know its illegal over here in scotland but wouldnt it be easer to just carry pepper spray around ? rather than knifes and other sorts of nasties

2. prowla

prowla Valued Member

IMHO, the foam ones are useless anyway - they don't have a positive feel and tend to bounce out of your hand.
    (But then again I am absolutely utter rubbish at nunchaku, so that could be part of the problem.)
    In the UK you can only buy them if you have an MA licence.

A bo (or jo) being illegal doean't make too much sense, as you could easily substitute a broom handle.

I guess all of them only really have a place in an MA class, as you'd look a right nutter dressed up like a cross between Rambo and Van Damme, walking down the high street carrying a selection of weapons and stopping to order a skinny cappucino from Starbucks! :)

Anyway, weapons have no place out and about in normal society.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  3. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Warrior Poet

Hmm, here's a list of weapons it is legal to carry publically here in the UK:

erm.......

bad breath?

4. tolchocker

tolchocker Skittles!

like Lee Evans was saying in one of his tours, you try to buy a knife in a military shop and they get all suspicious want to see if you're over 18 etc. but just go into a big department shop and buy a kitchen knife thats twice the size with no fuss at all. you can imagine them with the demonstrations saying things like ' this here is your stabber, you can stap someone like this.' or 'this is the wielder, look how im wielding it!'

stupid really :D

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

That was the XL tour (his latest) - brilliant but true! :D

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

The jo is illegal to carry in most of the US? Not hardly. Put a crutch tip on one end and it's an orthopedic device. I've even carried my walking stick onto post 9/11 planes.

7. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

I can get away with carrying my wooden practice swords around in public, as well as my Kali sticks.. Hard to tell a cop why my training sticks are spiral burn hardened, but my waxwood ones look just like normal sticks.

I can carry my rope dart around, assuming I don't have the rope attached to the the dart, as well as my staff. Chain is a whole 'nother story. In texas if it can be used as a weapon and its within reach of the driver, then it can be considered an illegal weapon. Same with baseball bats. You can have one in your car, but better make sure you have a glove to go with it otherwise you're going to the city jail. :)

8. maf

maf Valued Member

how do mate just to let you know, a manrikigusari is a length of chain weighted on both ends, Kubotan are legal in the uk just the ones that have spikes or blades inside are illegal.

http://www.role-n-play.co.uk/Weapons/cat/criminaljusticeact.htm

heres a link below to a weapons glossary, just incase any ones interested

http://www.youandwhosearmy.co.uk/youandwhosearmy/weapons.asp

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

10. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

maf: I hope you haven't got confused over the classifications.

The weapons classified as 'offensive' simply because of what they are, do not tell the whole story. Police can deem all sorts of things as offensive weapons according to the circumstances, e.g. any blade in a night club has no place being there. The Act also includes any object specifically made as a weapon, so home made stuff is also a no-no.

Police I've spoken to tell me any kubotan in any material may be deemed an offensive weapon by police here in the UK, as it could only be used as a weapon. The hollow ones with blades are classified, like butterfly knives as 'prohibited' - i.e. illegal to buy as well as carry, which is quite different.

Similarly with knives, there is nothing in any Act which prohibits lock knives, but there is legal precedent for prosecuting (Harris v. Regina I think) as if they have a rigid blade and are therefore illegal. Police work on the basis that if you need to operate a mechanism (e.g. liner lock) before closing it then it is illegal, however short the blade.

The rule is that the cutting edge of a (non-locking slip joint) folding knife must be less than 3 inches to be legal for everyday carry outside the home. A folded steel army knife (on your keychain) or pruning knife is OK, IMHO and would be just as effective as a Kubotan.

It's best in the UK to opt for a substitute: Maglite for Kubotan etc., metal bracelet for knuckedusters, walking stick etc. As for the car - a bit of copper pipe sawn off at the end could easily be on its way to the DIY store as a sample, as could a bit of curtain pole etc etc. Tools are a bit of a grey area so should be out of reach or in the boot.

As for MA weapons, I always carry them in a bag or tube when walking and in the car boot when travelling. Police have never challenged my right to do so on the journey to and from MA classes. Properly cased, I've not had any airline problem in checked in baggage. Walking sticks have been fine as hand luggage. (Except when stopped at Kuala Lumpur for having a hollow cane - suspected drug smuggling container, apparently! However, as I bought it at their Duty free they let me off the death penalty and just laughed! :) )

Here is a useful link:
    http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/law.html

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  11. mafoota

mafoota Skidoosh

Yup, he was referring to Millets in Cardiff, I was working in there at the time but he visited on my day off. Gutted.