Striking with the 2nd knuckle on your index finger

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by goatnipples2002, May 5, 2005.

1. Smee

Smee Evil kung fu genius

No secrets.

It's basic Pressure = Force/Area physics

The smaller the area - the greater the pressure......

Simple fact is that this strike is meant to be used against softer areas of the body a) because this tends to be where the nerves are and b) this is where you won't break your knuckle. Same as the JKD eye jab.....

To use it effectively will require a calm mind and good technique. Same as the JKD eye jab.....

Same as ANY other technique.

As I said, no secrets....

Smee

2. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

I know that one branch of Jook Lum Southern Mantis prefer to use the 'accelerated pheonix eye fist' or 'eye of the pheonix' as you call it variant of the pheonix eye fist over the standard pheonix eye because in the heat of combat you may hit a hard target(i.e bone) instead of a soft target by accident, so with the thumb on top of the fist the knuckle can move back and save you dislocating your thumb(worst case scenario).
    I've seen this type of pheonix eye used, and you still get the same kind of damage as a regular pheonix eye but with the bonus of safety.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  3. Trinity

Trinity New Member

No wrong: spear hand is an open hand and you use your hand like a spear (tips of the finger first) Japanese have a something almost the same called simply: one knuckle fist.

4. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

NOPE. I'm calling you out on that one, buddy. Let me repost somethng:

I've added the emphasis so you can distinguish who said what. Clearly, GN is the one who began the spearhand discussion, go back and reread the thread.

Now, my respose was what you've posted. Taken out of context, it appears I could be incorrect. However, in context, Trinity:

As you can see, my post was in respose to GN's statement about the name of a technique which we both (meaning you and I, Trinity) agree is called a spearhand/hooded snake. Hope that clears things up a bit, the internet can be a pain when I can't demonstrate what I speak of.

And for the both of you, if you want to get into a "my style has the right name, yours doesn't", fine, but that's not the purpose of the thread. I've studied enough martial arts to know that different techniques have different names. I've got several respectable instructors, and one not-so-respectable instructors, and I can guarantee that you'll find differences of opinion among them as to what these techniques are called among Japanese, Korean, and Chinese stylists as I've studied all 3.

So put your willies away and get back to the topic, which is "how do you use it and is it effective" as opposed to "your style has made up a name that my style doesn't use therefore your style is wrong" ****ing contest, gentlemen. Cuz that's plain pointless.

5. mrfu

mrfu New Member

well i guess with this strike you are aiming for the artery's in the neck (forgotten how to spell coroated artery?) for a stun strike but i guess you would have to be extremely proficient in this strike to get it off. Personally i would punch the area and still achieve the same result.

6. goatnipples2002

goatnipples2002 someone tryin 2 learn

All arts have different names for the same techs. Soem people do it to differentiate others do it to confuse and sometimes thgis happens because of different languages. To ME a spearhand and snake fist are one in the same. Everything I have studied says the same. Who cares what the name of the fist is you see the pictures above and that is what I am talking about and I have been taught it is called phoenix eye or tiger's tooth. From the way you described it in your earlier post you sounded confused, so I posted pictures.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

I was hardly confused. I knew EXACTLY of what I was speaking. Different styles=different terminology, and if we were all sitting around together we'd demonstrate the infernal things, which would be easier! Instead everyone decided to jump on the "my style calls it this" bandwagon, hence the chaos and confusion when someone walked in with a different term you've never used before.

8. goatnipples2002

I hit my 75lbs heavy bag while it was swinging with the thunmb behind the index finger. The finger is positioned in a was that it will just crumble in the natural way in does when it is not strong enough. If done right you won't dislocate your finger. When you form the fist your index finger isn't str8. It has a bend in it. If you try to strike something with the TT and you are not ready for that level of striking it will simply colapse into a normal fist. Why do people say you will break a finger or dislocate it? Do you personally know someone that did. I punched my heavybag the same day I learned about it to see if I would hurt myself. The only thing that happened my finger colapsed into a regular fist my hand went.

With the thumb on top gives NO support of what so ever, you rely heavily on muscular strength instead of muscular AND structural/skeletal support. To each their own, I just give MY test results not orders.

9. goatnipples2002

Well that settles it. We all know what we are talking about. If their was one universal language for MA.

10. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

...our lives would be soooo much easier, lol.

Here, have a beer on me :) At least you posted pretty visual aids which make things easier...

11. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

ok, here goes (Assuming in all cases they hit you first):

1. Depends on the level of force they use first. If they have a knife, probably. If they just push or bitch slap you, no way.

2. If they hit you first, sure.

3. Possibly. Depends on what state you live in as to whether it's an issue or not. Until you're an advanced fighter, it's not a huge deal unless you're looking to hurt someone.

4. See #1.

5. YES. See #1.

12. goatnipples2002

I'm in nebraska and thanks

13. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Sorry i post jumped and did not read them all. Sorry dude i thing starting my post with No wrong was wrong as well.

PS: Sword hand, knife hand, one knucklefist, spear hand and so on all are great with the right application.