STRIKING THREAD PART 2: Tips for avoiding permaneant brain damage?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Vinny Lugo, Oct 24, 2016.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't mean to be terrifying people out of pursuing their goals.

The science is very new, and it seems there is a lot we just don't know yet. I mean, there are plenty of people who have done various contact sports who have lived fulfilling lives afterwards. It isn't like every single one has gotten CTE and it has incapacitated them. I am sure it would have come up as an issue long before now if that was the case.

But it is and should be a concern. And it should be a factor to consider when assessing your martial arts and life goals.

2. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Ok I will take your advice. Thank you.

3. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Try it at least until they let you spar. That is the game changer

4. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I know who he is. I just didn't know why you brought him up

5. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

I am just glad you brought it up. It is something people do not talk about that needs to be talked about much more

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Because you don't have to be anyone's punch bag.

There is a risk, as it's a contact sport, however, sparring is about learning. A time to practice the moves and techniques learnt in class.

You should be able to spar Mike Tyson today. His job is to push you 5-10% more than you are used to, but while taking care of you.

Things only ever go wrong when the less skilled practitioner gets cocky. That's when Mr Tyson sits you on your backside.

Many pro boxers only step up the sparring close to a fight and Nigel Benn was well known for not actually doing a great deal of sparring.

I mention Tyson because I'd love to spar him.

7. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Tyson was a hothead. I would hate to spar tyson

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Tyson was an incredibly skilled boxer, with immaculate technique.

His footwork was incredible and his D'Amato switch was awesome.

So fast, so balanced, incredible leverage, always in his legs. I'd spar him in an instant.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

And listening to him speak he is a very knowledgeable about boxing its history and theory. Early Tyson was one of the fastest dynamic and skilled fighters I've seen

10. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

He is an excellent boxer yes. I would just be afraid that I would upset him. He has some of the most powerful punches of any boxer. I wanna say like 40 out of his 50 fights ended in KO I believe

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

But you knew it's not the healthiest job going into it surely?
    And statistically you are probably still more likely to get some other form of health issue than surely that counts for something?!:eek:

In all seriousness at the moment fighting is no more dangerous than any other contact sport, and safer than some.

It does occur to me if you want to make sport safer take away the gloves, instances of tko, kos would drop although fights stopping due to cuts would increase.

Same goes for American football drop the helmets and head on head collisions and head first instances would drop through the floor

12. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Yep but his sparring practices hardly even ended that way, bexause he knew it was a learning environment not a fighting one

13. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Ok that I didn't know about him

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Normally the better the fighter the better they understand and implement sparring.

I've been in the ring with Paul Daley and Andre winner both stand out MMA strikers and both secure in themselves to not have to take my head off to better their skills that day. Of course when they spar themselves getting ready for a fight it's a different thing

15. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

So they spar harder when preparing for a fight?

16. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

It is important because who wants to train for years in a striking art just to be completely disoriented and dumbfounded when they get hit hard?

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

He used to scare me as a child. I wouldn't spar him back in the 80's. It just wouldn't be worth it. He was knocking people out so much they were paying $1000 a round to go with him.

18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah man and I hope to work out the kinks.

19. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

Lol is that really true?

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

There are other ways to train it - this is a drill I "created" (although I then found out Erik Paulson also does something similar) to give the effect of fighting through without actually getting tagged

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkgiKYcMXQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhkgiKYcMXQ[/ame]