Streetboxing without breaking your hand

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by JKD guy, Sep 1, 2004.

1. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

I love boxing as a martial art/self defense form. However, I recently broke my hand sparring (16 oz. gloves on, no wraps... doh !). BTW, I broke it throwing a BODY shot with gloves on !! I now have a 'boxer's fracture' and my hand is in a splint for 4-5 weeks.

I like boxing, but I was just wondering, what do you guys think about 'street boxing' ? Would you modify your boxing for the street, hit with palm heels only, or would you punch the regular boxing way on the street in a real fight ?

... just wondering...

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I might use fists to the body (despite your experience). But I practice palms on the heavy bag using boxing movements for that very reason.

Stuart

3. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I have the boxer's fracture too from punching a wall. It's because i punched wrong with the 2 last knuckles of the hand. You must punch wrong or get unlucky to break your hand. I've punched walls with full strength when i was mad quite some times and never had a problem (until that time when i broke it :D never did it again after that )

Breaking it with gloves and when and hitting the body its just weird , i've never heard of that.

I think that you must be closer to use open palm strikes , and when i'm closer i prefer elbows/punches combos.

4. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

try not using wraps so much. I stopped using wraps and I used to occasionally get little pains in my wrist, but not anymore. now I can wail away on the bag wearing just light thai boxing gloves without any pain.

5. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

hands

but I don't mean hitting a bag. I mean punching for real in a real street fight (SD situation).

And I broke my hand because my pinky knuckle hit the guy's pelvic bone. The body also has some hard spots !

6. alex_000

No i wouldn't modyfy boxing for the street , just be carefull not to hit the hairy part of the haid , and not to make contact with the last two knuckles epsecially the pinky.

What ikken ment was that doing some heavy bag work barehanded will toughen your hands and do wonders to your wrist, so you could use boxing in the street safer.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

... ok ill change my post to make it easier.

try not using wraps so much. I stopped using wraps and I used to occasionally get little pains in my wrist, but not anymore. now I can wail away on the bag wearing just light thai boxing gloves without any pain. I also spar without wraps with no pain.

You didnt mention though that you had hit him in the hip bone. if anyone has a way of making it not hurt when you punch a hip bone feel free to share.

8. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I can't resist: "Don't hit people in the hip bone".

I can't give much other advice than that. Hitting people for real with intent to hurt sometimes will result in injuries to yourself (as you know well)... when practicing with a partner, try some slower speed sparring and see how often your hands connect with his elbows and other bones and try to work around it... then speed up the drill and see how it goes.

9. johndoch

johndoch upurs

For good boxing advise you're best getting it from the best ;)

Read This

Read chapter 5 for general street fighting advise
    Read chapter 9 for advise on good punching practise

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  10. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Either of the last 2 knuckles + hitting something hard with a decent amount of force = break ;)

11. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

targets

that 'just don't hit him there' sounds good. Looks good on paper, but in the chaos of a real fight you can't always be that 'surgical' with your strikes. Not to mention our old 'friend', adrenaline thrown in. I didn't try to hit him with my 5th knuckle to his thigh bone, it just happened. Maybe you aim for his solar plexus and he just turns his shin bone into you...

If Tyson can't do it (do a boxer's punch on the street without breaking his hand, maybe it is a bad idea to think we can do it...).

12. alex_000

You can break your foot fingers when you're kicking . Don't do that ..
    You may dislocate your shoulder if you use your elbow wrong... don't use it
    You may slip and hit the back of your head if you knee too high , no knees..
    Don' t even get me started on headbutting...

Don't do MA or street fights. they re bad for your health :D

13. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

[/QUOTE]

The old bare-knuckle boxers punched with a verticle fist, similar to the Wing Chun straight punch, except they hit with the larger knuckles rather than the lower 2.

The pic below is James Figg, the 'father of boxing' who fought numerous bouts without gloves.

Louie

Attached Files:

14. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

You may have broke your hand because of the gloves. Gloves prevent you from making a solid fist, which is why handwraps are needed (to keep your hand from breaking). I occasionally punch the wrong way when I wearing gloves and no wraps (and end up bending my wrist or something), but when I hit it without gloves or with MMA gloves I do fine. Just think, if you hit them hard enough in the jaw to break your hand, there's a good chance they're going down (because there are no mouthpieces). ;)

15. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I hope you don't think I was picking on you, but my advice (if you read the rest) was well intentioned. Practicing hitting the right spots and practicing missing the wrong spots are important skills and I detailed one way to practice this in the hopes that if you ever need to fight in self defence again, you'll have a better chance of not getting hurt. Also, as I mentioned, if you get into real fights, you will get hurt at some point... it's probably better to break your hand than to have the opponent break your jaw...

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

somebody should really have that for their avatar :D it's so cool :D

17. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

no

No, I didn't think you were picking on me, and anyway, I can take it. Thanks for the advice guys, you all seem to really know your stuff...