Sticking/Pushing hands in Lau Gar

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by stvn, Oct 13, 2003.

1. stvn

stvn Valued Member

I came across an advert for the B.K.F.A. Nationional championships in a MA magazine & noticed one of the events is Pushing Hands(for brown & black sash only).
    I was wondering if anybody could enlighten me to what this actually is? Is it similar to the pushing hands from Taiji or sticking hands from Wing Chun? How is it different from the normal competition fighting?
    Cheers
    Stvn.

2. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

Sorry Stvn,

i can't help you.....i know sticking hands and i know pushing hands in a tai chi context ...but no idea how it translates into Lau Gar.....( except in my own fraser type version).

On another note...it was great seeing you at the club on thursday. i hope you enjoyed yourself.

fraser

3. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

From what I have read on the BKFA web site it sounds more like Tai Chi push hands.

http://www.laugar-kungfu.com/chi_sau.htm

I don't know if its true, but the story I heard was that some years ago Master Yau didn't like the way the Lau Gar style was moving, a lot of its exponents could only fight kickboxing style and he was worried that the traditional side of the fighting was getting left out, so he introduced chi sau/push hands to remedy this.

Still all the clubs I have trainied in over the years never taught chi sau/pushhands, it hasn't filtered down to them yet, which is a great pity, as any Wing Chun or Tai Chi practioner can tell you it really improves your skills.:)

4. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

My lau gar club (Scotlnad lau gar use to be BKFA) teaches sticky hands or chi sau.I agree that alot of lau gar people are to competition oriented.I think that's a fun SPORT side of it.Not a part of the MA itself.

I think that the most of the scotland lau gar clubs are more on the traditional side of things, but with a good competition aspect to.
    Don't know abut down south.
    Can neone tell me?

5. stvn

stvn Valued Member

Chaz, that link was just what I was looking for, cheers.
    Lau Gar Chi Sau sounds pretty much like I thought it would be. I like the sound of it & think it's more my taste than the kickboxing type of competition.

Fraser, had a great night on thursday but will have to remember not not to block any more kicks with my finger. The knuckle was quite badly swollen by the time I got home. Never mind, I've got another nine that still work ok.
    Looking forward to my next visit.

Stvn.

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi stvn, I've been to the BKFA Nationals and seen what you were asking about.

Look into Tai Chi pushing hands or Wing chun sticking hands is this is what interestes you.

It's a useful exercise in LG...............zip.