Steve Morris says all forms of Karate are useless

Discussion in 'Karate' started by ronki23, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Well good for you. Try an actual response next time, otherwise I will conclude that you're only here to troll.

I can only assume you were looking for an excuse. This comes across as either further trolling or cowardice. Not sure which.

Grond likes this.
  2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Grond likes this.
  3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What's happening in this thread? @Dead_pool with a tldr?

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  4. Dead_pool

Just waiting for santa, give us an hour and I'll "skip to the end" for you!

Edit, yes really, although I have to say the elf's are looking quite lovely this year!

Grond and axelb like this.
  5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

See the second to last post here. It looks like the whole "Black's Law Dictionary was a family joke" was itself a satire article from a satire website that took on a life of its own as people republished the story not knowing it wasn't real.

‏مجموعات Google

As I said, if the terms within the early editions were made up as a family joke, they couldn't have citations to preexisting cases.

Grond likes this.
  6. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Like I said, after I dig into it myself, I will correct any errors.

7. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

8. Dead_pool

I don't, but I do know that Reuters and blacks legal dictionary are owned by the same company.

So it's even less likely it's a real story.

Thomson Reuters - Wikipedia

Grond likes this.
  9. Dead_pool

Essential people who don't think rationally in terms of training, also tend to believe conspiracy theories.

Also people who do think rationally in one topic also often don't think rationally in other areas, for evidence see Kron Gracie/Eddie bravo/Matt Thornton/Henry Atkins / hell I've even seen a world class blackbelt from Scotland post things from obvious spurious sources about immigration on their Facebook page, which was unfortunate.

People are people, and all people are flawed, it just depends how much.

Grond and axelb like this.
  10. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Ah they bought it in 2008, article was 2003..I will dig more and see if I can trace it back.

I am leaning towards agreeing with you, but I like to prove it to myself. I will get back to you.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  11. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Again, I've been a practicing attorney since 2006 and I do a lot of appellate work. If it had ACTUALLY been reported in the mainstream media in 2003 that the leading legal dictionary, frequently used by courts and attorneys alike, was just a family joke full of made-up phrases, don't you think I would have heard of it? And that this legal-industry-shocking news that profoundly affects the validity of 100 years of published case law would still be able to be found on mainstream and legal sites, instead of just referenced on personal blogs?

The alternative is that a satire article used "Reuters" in its text just to make it look official for satire purposes, but people on the internet, not getting the joke, turned it into an urban legend.

Grond and Dead_pool like this.
  12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Getting back to the issue of MMA and Karate, I’ve never been persuaded by the argument that karate folks can rely on deadly techniques like dropping people on their head and destroying their joints. Both karate and MMA folks can potentially do this in a back alley fight. Neither practice it against resisting opponents. Why would karate folks be better with these techniques than MMA folks?

I train in karate instead of MMA, not because I think it’s deadlier, but because it fits my life better. For just 20-somethings with good athleticism who want to be the best fighter possible, MMA will give better results faster than any type of karate or TKD I’ve ever done. But my karate training is more versatile. It gives me as much fighting ability as i anticipate needing in my real life, while also being more accessible to more people than most MMA gyms. We have 70-somethings just trying to keep fit. We have elementary schoolers learning self control and self confidence. We have people with physical or developmental disabilities for whom karate training is life-changing. We have people like me who enjoy padwork and moderate sparring but would get into serious trouble at work if I got a black eye, concussion, or broken hand. I really respect MMA, but it’s a very focused curriculum. The less focused but more flexible approach of karate is a better fit for me and my kids.

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Exactly! I tried saying broadly this (though less eloquently!) earlier in the thread, but it was ignored.

Mitlov and Dead_pool like this.
  14. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Excellent....but, I like proving things to myself. Not sure why that is difficult to understand.

15. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

The faster part, is really what gets me. Every where I look, it states that the average time to become proficient in MMA, is 3-4 years, I am not seeing that much of a difference in time frames.

And, really...I am not into sport oriented martial arts. I agree, with the idea that people have various reasons why they enjoy the arts and that is great.

But, saying that karate doesn't work, or that Kata is useless...is simply just wrong. I think what amazes me, is when peopl flip out, because an individual, just doesn't buy into the MMA. And, when you do not agree with their take on that.

I myself have been doing the arts for nearly 40yrs. I left my original dojo because they chose to go into and train for tournaments. It altered what Karate is. And, a majority of people believe that tournament karate was actual karate. It isn't nor has it ever been. Sport Karate yes, real no. There is a difference, it isn't a secret thing or deadly techniques, those things are just ridiculous.

Kind of like the resurgent of exploring bunkai and trying to figure them out from movements in the form.

This is foreign to me as I learned a majority of those, when I was 13-14 yrs old...what is there to search for? They should already have been taught...all 3 levels concerning them and using them effectively are required in our system before you even get your BB.

The fact that, black belts who have reached that level and have been at a high level for years, and they do not know Kata application is strange to me. Seriously, shouldn't black belts in Karate already know this.

But that is not what happens, they do not learn them and then turn around and run after a new art, and then turn and say kata is useless.

Now, there was a major change in how people trained in Karate in the early to mid 80's...I seen this with my own eyes. Almost everyone switched to tournament style training, and that is what you see a majority of the time when it comes to schools.

MMA, is a sport, and that is ok. But, the former Karatekas who are saying that MMA is better...in my opinion, trained in the tournament version, the sport Karate, not the actual karate.

But, to deny that sport changed karate, is just a lack of knowledge, concerning actual Karate.

A good example is a student of mine, I was showing him our fighting stance and he was surprised to see the hands up elbows in and chin down, told me I stole it from boxing. But, it is a Karate fighting stance, I referred him to old video games, old karate articles etc from the 80's where you can literally see this being used.

He had only seen the sport versions from tournaments and I told him, that a majority of tournaments do not allow hits to the face, no reason to train that way.

This is a fundamental stance in Karate and is largely even unknown, due to the influence of sport.

This why I know there is a difference between the two. I watched it change with my own eyes and it wasn't beneficial it was damaging to the art and even to the way it was taught...there is a difference between sport and reality.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on the tournament style they use for karate really. The stuff of the 60's and 70's was pretty hardcore. Some great fighters that were well established.

Now we have Karate Combat, an excellent format for Karate:

Also, MMA is not a style, it's a rule set. There is no reason karate masters cannot compete in it. Or judo players, boxers, Wing Chun fighters (lol).

What it comes down to is a lot of those guys just don't train effectively for fighting. You can tell me that you or any karateka in the world would mop the floor with an MMA fighter but you can't prove it, so what am I supposed to believe?

Grond, Dead_pool and Aegis like this.
  17. Dead_pool

Isn't Kang duk won one of the early karate copies from Korea?

It's a bit much claiming it's an ancient tradition of combat deadliness, when it's just culturally patterned shotokan.

Kang Duk Won - Wikipedia

Grond likes this.
  18. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

It is not patterned after Shotokan..it is a Toyama Kanken line.

Common misconception.

Grond likes this.
  19. Guthrie

Guthrie Member

Never said that I or any karateka could. What I am talking about is effectiveness in combat and that MMA, doesn't exclusively hold that crown of being effective.

Karate Combat is probably a step in the right direction, but still needs work, and that is by their own admission. We have emailed each other a few times concerning a PNW division..but last I heard, the are not yet ready for that expansion.

But I do have high hopes for Karate Combat. Maybe a few of my students will be interested.

20. Dead_pool

The point still stands, why not train in shudokan if that's what makes your system "good".

How do you feel about kyokushin/enshin/daigo Juku / k1?