Starting Over

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by qwr, Aug 16, 2012.

1. qwr

qwr New Member

Hello! I'm new here and looking for help. I have been out of KSW for a while now, and am seriously looking to regain what I have lost. Memory wise and skill wise. Obstacles:

Can't remember much and looking at my old books - still missing gaps. Suggestions?

No KSW students/instructors anywhere near. Help?

Any help is appreciated. Would love to have some support here.

2. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

If there's no school or instructor anywhere else you need to pick up something that IS nearby.

3. qwr

qwr New Member

Thank you for your input, I have trained and will train at other studios from different MA's, however, I would like to continue to progress and regain my lost skill and knowledge from KSW. I know others on MAP have had to relocate to places without KSW schools. Tips please?

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

You either need to move somewhere where the is a KSW school or start a new style. You'll never achieve what you want training on your own.

5. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

There are a couple of things you can do. First: start over and work as a white belt level for around a month or more. Practice your basics until they are back where you think they should be. Do not rush the training. Once you have it back then you need to find a training partner. Find someone that can fall with out hurting themselves or teach someone. Depending on your skill level do not teach unless you are confident that you can teach the basics correctly. You could hurt your partner.

If you need help check out You Tube for memory gaps and memory jarring information. Do not try to learn it from there but you can remember stuff. Find an instructor that will talk to you over the phone to help you or even the internet. It is not the same but it will help you regain what you have lost. The videos that the WKSA produced are good for remembering the information you have already learned.

If you need anything else let me know I will help you if you wish. :evil:

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

No it won't. Martial arts requires physical instruction. Practicing on your own and learning from books and videos even as a refresher is not a viable option.

7. qwr

qwr New Member

You can absolutely do your forms by yourself. I can find someone of another art to practice my techniques on. I have friends that are fantastic MA's in other arts that can correctly asses if I'm doing a technique effectively. There are many levels to each technique, but the principles are the same or similar. I remember the pressure points etc.

Thank you Tulsa, would love help and feed back. Does KSW now have vids of each form? I didn't see them. I know there have been some changes since I left.

@sketco. I appreciate your opinion and understand where you are coming from. I just disagree that it's impossible. I'm GOING to do it. I will not do it 100% by myself, but I will do it. You can offer some help or not. I'm not deterred.

8. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I don't think anyone's saying you can't practice kuk sool or any martial art for that matter by yourself, just that you'll never be very good.

9. qwr

qwr New Member

Instructors don't always get to go practice with their instructor that often. I don't intend to go it alone, but I won't be able to get to an instructor for long periods of time.

@Herbo - I'm not alone, I have all of you to help me achieve my goals. I can't move next to an instructor, but I can find training friends from other arts. Technology alows for skype/fb/ etc. I've trained with some of the best...It's still in there. (somewhere?) I don't expect to be Grand Champion, but I believe I can be a good JKN. When I finally am close to a school I will finally be ready to test for KSN.

10. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

If you read my post you would have seen that I said you do not want to learn from these. But when you have learned something that you have said you have forgotten a visual aid can spark something and you can remember it.

If you are looking for a training partner then that is a different question. Look for Hapkido students for Kuk Sool is basically Hapkido with more. They will know how to fall, could give you insight on how techniques work for them. What are you forgetting? What do you need help with. I told you I could help if you wish. ????? :evil:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  11. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Since I am not in the WKSA all I know is that the old DVD's had the hyungs in them. It did not teach them just showed them. You Tube has much better examples of them. I have all the hyungs from white belt past 5th Dan on DVD's that several High Ranking Masters made for me that teaches them step by step.:evil:

12. qwr

qwr New Member

Good advice. I will look for something along those lines as far as partners go.
    Yes...I think I would love access to your vids! Holy cow that's an awesome thing to have. Since I doubt I can finagle copies of those from you....I will check and see if I have the KS one in my collection. Which vids do you like on youtube? (if you would like to share.)

Everything else, I'm going to have to ask as I go? I called the KSWA and they pretty much confirmed that there were no schools even close, but that I can still register under my old school? I might have misunderstood her.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  13. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

You did not misunderstand her. You can register for tournaments in the WKSA from your original schools charter. They love there money. What level did you reach? If you PM me with your email address I will contact you more in depth. :evil:

14. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

Kevin Janisse offers a Kuk Sool remote learning package authorised by the NKMAA
    Details are at http://www.nkma.us/HomeStudy.html

Just be aware that if you go down that route you are stepping outside the auspices of the WKSA and any certification would be from the NKMAA - see http://www.nkmaa.ca/nkmaa/index.html

How you feel about that depends on how political you are. Just remember that any certification from the NKMAA will not be recognised by the WKSA. Only you can say if that matters to you or not.

And something to remember is that while there may not be a WKSA school near you, there may well be an "independent". Over the last few years several masters - and schools have broken away, some forming their own groups.
    Where are you based?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  15. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I would also suggest looking for in-person training in Hapkido, Hwarangdo, or Tuekong MuSool in your area, as much of what you will learn will probably be identical.

Where are you?

16. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

And following on from that, this old thread (at least the first few pages) may give some other ideas
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100070

It was an attempt to list known Kuk Sool breakaways or analogs, most of which should be close enough to what you already know. And as Convergencezone points out - Hapkido and Hwarangdo isn't so very different

17. qwr

qwr New Member

Thank you, I will explore the options. I'm not sure what the area I'm moving to offers. I checked on line and it's looking grim. We will see when I get there. SMALL town. I will check the thread you suggested. It is sooo much easier when you have a school near by.

18. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

It may be small, but if you tell us where it is someone here can probably suggest something close by

19. JKN-Pellegrini

JKN-Pellegrini Valued Member

This is the key point. You may not be near another school, but there might be another Kuk Sool student who also wants to practice somewhere near you. I'm trying to find one myself. I'm in the Philadelphia area (north east of the city).

20. JoKyoNimJey

JoKyoNimJey Valued Member

There is the school in Wilmington, Delaware Mr. Pellegrini. I don't know how feasible that is for you but it would be a place to start...