Star Wars epsiode 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Nov 28, 2014.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I agree with all of your points, but the question was, "Is #3 as awful as #1 and #2?" and your points are more about why #3 just plain sucks. But I just realized that we're talking about how to rank bad movies relative to other bad movies, and that's ... well, that's just silly! :jester: :p The bottom line is that #1-3 were bad, the whole lot of them!

He was wooden. :( In my mind the measuring standard is Obi talking with Luke and Han inside the Falcon. I felt it, too -- Obi seemed like a real person, a full person. Samuel Jackson never achieved that as "Mace Windu," that's true. But like you said, everyone in the movie was wooden, so either Jackson can't do it, or the director didn't want him to do it. :dunno: I dunno. Seeing in other movies how good Jackson can be, I *want* to give him the benefit of the doubt. My heart just wants to.

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

The acting in the prequels in general was pretty average across the board.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Yeah, maybe I was just soap boxing. My bad. It's also possible that I have put RotJ in entirely too positive a light, due to nostalgia. I've rewatched it a few times and, although I love it, it certainly hasn't held up as well as the other two.

I think it was a combination of the director and the lack of sets. Neither was good at getting the most out of the actors. :[

4. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Gotcha covered... :happy:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5h6BFZktJ4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5h6BFZktJ4[/ame]

Regards,

Travess

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  6. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I didn't like the 2nd trailer as much as the 1st one. I'm sure I'll be in a minority of one.

The 2nd trailer seemed to include A TON of special FX and action shots. I think having watched something like the recent Daredevil or the new series of GoT it reminded me that the best visual media has well developed characters and strong stories first and foremost.

Where Lucas always fell down IMO was too much spectacle and not as much substance. I hope this hasn't went the same way.

And as someone else pointed out, everyone was wetting themselves when the Phantom Menace trailers came out too... Suffice to say I'm not getting carried away yet lol!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The opening shot in trailer #2 is pretty breathtaking.

J.J. Abrams' distinct visual style really shines through, and the star destroyer buried in the background reminds me of this shot from 2009's Star Trek:

[​IMG]

Really looking forward to this.

9. aikiMac

Agreed, that opening scene is chilling. :heart:
    And the closing scene with Chewie -- same.

The rest of it is "meh." It's computer effects without a story, like Prizewriter said.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Is that Luke talking or is it someone else?

It's obviously harkening back to RotJ but I'm not convinced it's Luke talking and he says "my father has it" I would expect him to say "my father had it".

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

11. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

that's luke saying it. mark hamill's voice.

12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

13. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Give me a cross guard light saber anyday, and I'll show you what practical purposes it could have!! :D

14. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Are we sure about that? Didn't really sound like him.

15. Fish Of Doom

yes it did :p

16. Fish Of Doom

17. aikiMac

LOL! :D That was great!

But anywho :dunno: I thought it was Luke's voice in the trailer, too. :dunno:

18. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

I've seen alot of interviews with Hamill (huge fan). The only part that sounds like him is maybe the "And you have it to" line.

19. Fish Of Doom

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q9JiGljx3Ec[/ame]

*whistles innocently*

20. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype